Engine meltdown disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

In our old 1978 Class C RV (junky  GM 400 CID small block engine) about six miles east of Wendover, NV (in Utah, near the state line between Utah and NV on I-80), it SEEMED like we had a blow out on one of our new six tires, just purchased two days before.  The vehicle shook all over the lane. We were doing about 70 MPH, slightly downhill, when this happened at around 0100 hrs on Friday morning (10, August 2007). When we got out and checked the tires, all looked fine. I knew this was bad news!

We tried to restart the engine. The engine is FROZEN. Only straining the starter by trying to start.  Seems the 400 CID broke a rod or other  lower end major engine damage.

We used a cellphone and called AAA to be towed to Wendover, NV.  We're there by 0300 hrs or so. We find all the hotels and everything else  in Wendover is booked because of races in the Bonneville slat flats. We stayed in the  lot  (that we were towed to) and slept in the RV overnight. This was next to Brad's Automotive Repair in Wendover. Seemed we had a lot of problems. In Wendover, there was no kennels for our  two doggies. No way we could think of to get home. We're stuck 420 miles from our Reno home. It's expected to get to about 100 degrees F. that day.

In the end, much later in the day, we made contact with the same tow truck driver and I made a deal with him. He would tow me 100 miles free on my AAA Plus card. And to be towed the other 320 miles to Reno, I pay him a thousand dollars. He drops off the RV at Bob's Auto and Truck repair in Reno (the same place the engine was replaced last time) and from there, drove us home. This old RV has already gone through three engines.

This last engine was a rebuilt with only about six thousand miles on it, most of these miles from this one trip. From Reno, we drove to Grand Teton, on to Yellowstone and then South Dakota and then down to Dodge, KS before the return trip. At least the engine meltdown was on the way home. This rebuilt was more than two years old so no warranty. I also just paid $1,300.00 to get a new 134A A/C system installed before this trip. With the new seven tires (includes spare) and price of gasoline at 7.2 MPG,  and everything else, this was a very expensive trip. This trip cost more than our one month long trip to China last March!

The entire trip was a bummer, because we wanted to spend some time in South Dakota, and visit places such as Deadwood (where Wild Bill Hickok was shot) but didn't know the big motorcycle rally at Sturgis (just 15 miles away). Harley noise 25 hours a day for about 100 miles in all directions. We couldn't wait to get out of the area. I should have know about Sturgis, because I ride motorcycles myself, but I never even thought about it or realized it was so close to Deadwood, or that it was going on two weeks ago while we were there. Everything crowded everywhere. RV parks that normally  charge $25.00 were then asking for $155.00 per night.  Cops everywhere giving tickets like crazy to both bikes and cars. So many people and bikes it was difficult to do much of anything anywhere.

Anyway, I finally decided to junk this old RV. I let my mechanic in Reno have the thing, thousand bucks worth of tires and all. Good riddance! 

But I will be shopping for another RV, not new, but perhaps about six years old or so. Not right away, because we won't be going on another RV trip for a while. Anyway, what I will be looking for is a SMALL Class A RV (less than 25 feet) but with an LARGE engine, perhaps a diesel or something that won't have too much problem with the 11,000 foot peaks in Colorado.

Who makes SMALL  good Class A's (less than about 25 feet) with a Diesel engine?  Gasoline isn't out of the question if it's a large and reliable engine.

-Don- (now in San Francisco)

Don, welcome back, but sorry it's under such bad circumstances.  I guess that old class C didn't owe you anything after all this time.  Too bad you just put all that money into it.

You might want to look at some of the new class B vans.  Some have a small MB diesel on the Sprinter chassis.

Hi Don. Longtime since we've heard from you and sorry it had to be with this sort of news.

Bigfoot makes a quality 25 footer  (Ford E450 chassis) that is available in gas or diesel.  Bigfoot 3000 series

Gulfstream's Conquest division makes some nice Class C's and the "B Touring Cruiser", which is a large B or small C. Their diesels may be larger than you want (e.g. Chevy Kodiak based) but the gas models are V10 Fords. Conquest Motorhomes

There are some others using the Dodge chassis, but don't know specific names.

"Don't think you can find a diesel Class A in the 25 foot range.  Class C and Class B only."

Is there a reason for why small Class A diesels don't exist?

-Don-

I suspect it has something to do with the 10 ft rear overhang to house the engine. Would make the wheelbase too short.

There is now a FRED chassis that can be had as a diesel puller, but do not know what the minimum size is.

There are now several class C and super B models with medium duty truck front ends.

"I suspect it has something to do with the 10 ft rear overhang to house the engine."

Can't diesels engines be put where they usually put a gasoline engine? I don't know a thing about diesels except the newer ones are quite tough,  from what I have heard.

And I have seen some small Class A (I assume gasoline) RV's over the years, all from a distance What's a good decent, reliable  one, where I won't have to sell one of my two homes to buy?  I don't really have to have a diesel, but the RV has to be rather small. I doubt if I ever will  be a full timer and so  we (two of us plus two medium sized doggies) don't need anything large.

-Don- (So. SF, CA)

DonTom said:
Can't diesels engines be put where they usually put a gasoline engine?

Don, that's the FRED configuration that Russ talked about. FRED = front engine diesel.

"Don, that's the FRED configuration that Russ talked about. FRED = front engine diesel."

Oh, thanks, I had no clue what "FRED" meant. I will be checking around on the web to get some  clue of what we really want.

-Don- (Reno)

Don -

Ouch! It hurts just reading your post. This kind of stuff gives me nightmares. I'm glad you're physically okay.

The cool part is that you haven't been put off by the whole thing. I wish you the very best in your next rig -
you deserve some good times.

Danny
Poulsbo WA

RV Roamer said:
Bigfoot makes a quality 25 footer  (Ford E450 chassis) that is available in gas or diesel. 

That looks interesting to us, even if a Class C.

What's the price when new, with gasoline and with diesel?

-Don- (Reno)

They're hard to find used, but Lazy Daze (Montclair/Pomona, CA) is reputable and still makes smaller Class Cs.  They'll be gas, but good quality.  Lazy Daze was the first Class C producer and they still do that.  They don't do slides, but they make a nice MH with good layouts and good use of space.  We owned both a 22-footer and a 30-footer and loved them both until we got the diesel bug.  I'm not sure you're going to find any older used front end diesels.  If you do, be sure to test drive it because a front end diesel might be too noisy.  A front end gasser was noisy enough and diesels are quite a bit noisier.  I have to say, we really like the pusher diesels.  Significantly quieter.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
If you do, be sure to test drive it because a front end diesel might be too noisy.

Oh, so that's the reason they usually put them in the rear of larger vehicles.  BTW, the diesel that towed us back home was so quiet I had to ask if it was diesel. It was. It was a 2006 with a DuraMax engine (or whatever they are called) and had more than 100,000 miles on it. It had no problem towing my RV up the hills and I was impressed. That's why I am thinking about getting a diesel RV, if I can find a small one.

More miles on the tow truck than my 1978 RV that's been through a few engines.

The 75 MPH speed limits might have had a lot to do with my meltdown. The thing was designed during the 55 MPH days and 80 MPH is 4,000 RPM's, which might be too much for a 400 CID small block. We were driving that thing about 15 hours per day and using up a quart of oil per day, just keeping up with the traffic that was going about 80 MPH. When we had to go through YellowStone and Grand Teton, the speed limits were 45 and 35 MPH. All day of driving then used no oil at all and my MPG went from the usual 7.2 all they way to 10.7 MPG, the best I ever got in that thing.

Eastern NV, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado all have 75 MPH speed limits on their interstate freeways, with most traffic doing about 80 MPH. In Kansas, the max seemed to be 70 MPH, just as in CA.

Perhaps that I was using up a quart per day should have been a clue to slow down to about 65 MPH, but hindslight is always better. I think the 400 CID has a red line of 5,300, but 4,000 RPM's all day might be a bit too much for a junky 400 CID rebuilt engine.

-Don-

Yep the high speeds all day long may have caused your melt down.  However you may have been lucky since it is very likely you were over speeding your tires at 80MPH and maybe even at 75MPH .  IMHO that is just too fast to be safe.  Sure our diesel pusher will go 75 or 80 MPH but the maximum our tires are rated for is 75mph.  To heck with what the traffic is going we travel at around 62 -65 MPH after all we are NOT RACING. Speed kills not only engines and tires but people too.

"IMHO that is just too fast to be safe."

Could be, but we had several other larger RV's pass us, including some which were towing a car behind them. I have no idea what the max speed is of my all new 8.75R 16.5 LT steel belted radial tires were or the old 8X16.5 LT bias ply tires. I had no idea RV tires were rated so low. Does it usually say on the tire what the max speed is? I don't think mine said anything about max speed, but I am not sure.

-Don-

Regardless it's T D F  You have NO control of the vehicle at those speeds.

Just because there are other that drive too fast doesn't mean we all have to.  

The tire speed rating con be found on the tire manufacturers web site.  Frankly I have never noticed a tire rated at 80MPH but I have seen some as low as 70MPH.

I have a never used but way too old Michelin setting here that is rated at 65 max.  19,5 mounted on a Ford or Oshkosh rim.

Ron said:
Just because there are other that drive too fast doesn't mean we all have to. 

The tire speed rating con be found on the tire manufacturers web site.  Frankly I have never noticed a tire rated at 80MPH but I have seen some as low as 70MPH.

I have a never used but way too old Michelin setting here that is rated at 65 max.  19,5 mounted on a Ford or Oshkosh rim.

On some of those interstate freeways, at least in some areas,  I would be slowing down the traffic even in the slow lane if I went much slower. 

I had no idea RV tires were rated so low. I assume you're talking about RV tires only and not car tires. I know 130 MPH is a common rating for motorcycle tires, and some are made for 200 MPH, but I have no clue on other tires.

-Don-

Most RV tires are rated for 75 mph or lower AT an abient of around 75 degrees F.  If the temperature of the air is higher, the tires are derated accordingly.   Most tire makers publish the information in the manuals but few of us ever look at that information.  Me too!!!   VBG

James Godward said:
Most RV tires are rated for 75 mph or lower AT an abient of around 75 degrees F.  If the temperature of the air is higher, the tires are derated accordingly.  Most tire makers publish the information in the manuals but few of us ever look at that information.  Me too!!!  VBG

I had no idea. The weather was very hot, around 100F during most of the trip.  107 F. in  Dodge City.  Before we started on this trip, I looked at my old tires and they all looked fine. Two days in the desert and the two fronts needed to be replaced. Two days after that, the outer rears looked worn, but the inter rears (same age)  looked fine (anybody have a clue why?).  I then changed all four rear tires (and  spare) because I changed from bias ply to steel belted radials.  I junked the RV with the thousand bucks worth of new tires. BTW, the new steel belted tires were noticeably smoother than the old tires. 

I did check the tires every day after seeing the amount of damaged tires on the desert freeways. Seemed we saw rubber from damaged tires every mile or less on I-80 in eastern NV (leaving, going eastbound) and we didn't want to have the same problem.

About the only reasonable weather on this trip was near Grand Teton, Yellowstone and above around  7,000 feet in Colorado. Most everywhere else was hot, at least high 90's, during the day.

The old tires had plenty of thread when we started the trip, but they were several years old. Perhaps that had something to do with why I could see the wear by the day. I hear the rubber can get hard when tires get old and then they can wear down VERY fast on the hot desert roads. 

When going over the rated speed, what happens?  Is it mainly a loss of traction that's the problem, or is it too much heat and wear, both or what?

Next time I buy tires, I will check into the max speed. I am surprised that they are rated below the speed limits of most interstate freeways. Outside of CA and KS, every state we visited during that trip had 75 MPH speed limits on their interstate freeways.

I always read the owner's manuals for my (many) vehicles,  but I never bothered to read anything about buying new tires. I will from now on, at least when buy tires for a RV, since they are rated so ridiculously low (IMAO).

-Don- (SSF, CA)

Back
Top Bottom