Engine meltdown disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DonTom said:
On some of those interstate freeways, at least in some areas,  I would be slowing down the traffic even in the slow lane if I went much slower. 

So even though you may be slowing down some drivers you would be in full control of your vehicle.  Many states including CA have lower speed limits for trucks or any vehicle towing.  Obviously they are not concerned about these vehicles slowing down traffic.  In most cases the traffic needs to slow down.  IMHO anybody driving at 80 MPH or faster are not only placing there own safety at risk but anybody that happens to be traveling anywhere around them.
I had no idea RV tires were rated so low. I assume you're talking about RV tires only and not car tires. I know 130 MPH is a common rating for motorcycle tires, and some are made for 200 MPH, but I have no clue on other tires.

I would not consider tires rated at 75 to be rated low or even those rated at 65.  What I do think is that anybody driving an RV too fast for existing conditions ( the RV would be one of the conditions) or speeding deserves to be ticketed and heavily fined.

Sure there are tires rated for very high speeds but they are classified as racing tires.  One should not race on the public roads and highways.

Buzz thru ILLINOIS at those speeds and you'll be assisting Charles Manson and other goons in a pen somewhere.  Towing anything is 55MPH. Other states are likewise.  Speeding isn't smart regardless of who you are.  If you're in that big a hurry, leave earlier and enjoy the scenery, cause you sure can't at 80MPH.  But then you might enjoy it from behind bars. Have fun. 

Shayne said:
Buzz thru ILLINOIS at those speeds and you'll be assisting Charles Manson and other goons in a pen somewhere.  Towing anything is 55MPH. Other states are likewise.  Speeding isn't smart regardless of who you are.  If you're in that big a hurry, leave earlier and enjoy the scenery, cause you sure can't at 80MPH.  But then you might enjoy it from behind bars. Have fun. 

Not all states have a 55 MPH towing speed limit. In fact, I don't think any of the states we visited during our trip did, besides we were not towing anything. Our RV WAS a  22 foot one ton van (class C).  However, it weights in at 11,100 LBS and was a bit over the GVWR the day it was sold (common for the day that thing was built <1978>).

We were just going the speeds of most of the other traffic, where the speed limits were 75 MPH, which was the interstate freeway speed limit in every state we visited except for KS. Eastern NV, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado all have 75 MPH speed limits on their interstate freeways, with most of the traffic going about 5 MPH above that, including other larger RV's, some towing a car . 

Nevertheless, I will try to go a bit slower in my next RV. I didn't know the tires were rated so low, for one thing. However, that old RV felt nice and stable at any speed.

-Don-

Shayne said:

IL has a 55 MPH limit on motorhome, travel trailers, etc with or without any thing being towed.

Towing are not, you still have no control.  Once had something bounce out of a passing pickup on the road. It came straight at us and could not avoid it. Blew out two of our rear tires and another piece wedge up under the Right front jack and propelled us into the air about 2 ft.  This was at 55 MPH towing a Lincoln on a dolly. By the time it was done the unit was drivable and the tires flying off damaged the Lincoln.  Well other than having the hell scared out of us and the other driver never even stopped.  It totaled our MH and others pulled over and congratulated us on controlling it.  If that had been at 80, we would have been goners.  I just ask that next time you are on the road consider others while in your haste.  Slow down, the life you save may be mine and I would really be pissed to lose it. 

blueblood said:
IL has a 55 MPH limit on motorhome, travel trailers, etc with or without any thing being towed.

That's a tougher law than here in CA, where the 55 only applies to trucks and towing.

-Don-

Shayne said:
Towing are not, you still have no control.  Once had something bounce out of a passing pickup on the road. It came straight at us and could not avoid it. Blew out two of our rear tires and another piece wedge up under the Right front jack and propelled us into the air about 2 ft.  This was at 55 MPH towing a Lincoln on a dolly. By the time it was done the unit was drivable and the tires flying off damaged the Lincoln.  Well other than having the hell scared out of us and the other driver never even stopped.  It totaled our MH and others pulled over and congratulated us on controlling it.  If that had been at 80, we would have been goners.  I just ask that next time you are on the road consider others while in your haste.  Slow down, the life you save may be mine and I would really be pissed to lose it. 

If it were where  the speed limit is 75, often the next vehicle is a half mile or more ahead of you. They don't have 75 MPH speed limits near cites or where the traffic is often congested. So where the speed limits were 75, you would have most likely seen the junk on the road and had more than enough time to avoid it.

Also, perhaps if you were not going so slow that the pick up truck had to pass you, that never would have happened. Going too much slower than most of the traffic can be dangerous too.

We had no trouble seeing the damaged tires on the road, about one every mile in the desert, at  the speeds we were doing, because the traffic is light where they have 75 MPH speed limits. Sometimes, not another vehicle for miles.

-Don-

It appears that no matter what others besides myself, you have the desire to travel at ridiculous speeds, So be my guest  Just don't drive near me.  I've passed a many speed drivers along the road with patrol cars  with flashing lights.  These guys always say the cop is wrong and they weren't bothering anyone.    Yeah you do.  We have concern for others. 55 to 60 is plenty fast enough and 65 on rare occasions.in any MH or RV.  Grow up and smell the roses  Just because idiots pass you in Cal doesn't mean you have to try to catch them,  You may disagree but that's my take on it and I'm sure others feel the same way.

Just because the posted speed limit is 75 MPH doesn't mean one has to drive that fast nor does it mean every vehicle on the road is capable to travel that fast SAFELY.  IMHO the older the vehicle the less likely it can travel at 75 MPH safely escpecially motorhomes. 

"Just because idiots pass you in Cal"

That RV has not been in CA for many years. We kept it at our home near Reno, NV and that's where the trip started from. Most of the freeways in CA have a 65 MPH speed limit, but there are a few 70's. No 75 MPH anywhere in CA.

It seems what most are saying here is that the speed limit should be lowered for heavier vehicles, such as RV's.

"I've passed a many speed drivers along the road with patrol cars  with flashing lights."

So have I.  But it's not often they give tickets within a few MPH of the speed limit, as I was doing. Not even in a RV.

And I did say I will slow down in my next RV, at least below the safe speed of the tires.

BTW, I could not find any such specs on my tires, not even on the websites, such as Firestone and Bridgestone. Did I miss something?

-Don- (now in SF, CA)

No need to lower the speed limit for RVs, just lower the speed of the RV.  Speed limits are just that, a maximum limit, not a required (or minimum) speed as so many think it is.

Ned said:
No need to lower the speed limit for RVs, just lower the speed of the RV.  Speed limits are just that, a maximum limit, not a required (or minimum) speed as so many think it is.

But if the speed limit is unsafe for any size vehicle, shouldn't it be lowered?  Ever hear of a RV getting a speeding ticket for doing 75 MPH where the speed limit is 75?  I realize it's possible under the "basic speed law", which says we may never drive faster than safe, regardless of posted speed limit,  but I doubt it ever happens on a clear, dry day where a RV get busted for doing the posted speed limit.

-Don- (now at my sinecure in SF, CA)

Some states recognize that large vehicles are less safe at speeds that are safe for automobiles and have lower limits for trucks just for that reason.  Just because the law says you can drive 20 tons at 75mph doesn't mean it's safe.  It just means that state's legislators don't understand the laws of physics.

I also believe you will blow up a lot fewer engines running them at lower speeds. Our Cat 330 will run all day at 65 but push it to 70, especially on a ninety degree day, and the temps start running warmer and the tranny temps go up.

Just look at how much time you didn't save by traveling at what I would consider unsafe speeds.  Lets see how Long did it take you to get home after the meltdown which I believe was caused by the speeds you were driving.  What did it cost you.  I think in the long run in this case 65 would have been faster to your ultimate destination and considerably less costly.

It tough to explain things to people that don't care in the 1st place and has no consideration of others.  Sounds like a stubborn, hard headed, selfcentered individual much like myself that won't consider others point of view.  Just more or less floats his own boat.  Been there done that.  If the speed limit where 90, he'd probably try to drive 95 and brag about it.  Sometimes the best thing to do is just let stubbornness prevail and Call the wrecker when he blows it up or crashes it.  Just hope and pray it doesn't involve others.  If kids are involved it makes the stubbornness even more irritating/  Some people just think because it can be done, that's the way to go.  Now I'll just shake my head and hope he's not on my path.

Ned said:
Some states recognize that large vehicles are less safe at speeds that are safe for automobiles and have lower limits for trucks just for that reason.  Just because the law says you can drive 20 tons at 75mph doesn't mean it's safe.  It just means that state's legislators don't understand the laws of physics.

You're making my point.  If the legislators do not understand the laws of physics, what makes you think that RV owners do? For an example, I had no clue that RV tires were rated at 70 MPH, even lower when warmer, when I was driving 75 MPH, where the speed limit was 75, on a day that was over 100 F. And no doubt I am not the only one, such as the countless larger RV's that passed us during that trip (with some towing).  But I do understand the posted speed limit and I do try to go by them and those who don't have no excuse. And those other Rver's should understand the posted speed limits too, IMAO, even if they do not "understand the laws of physics".

IMO, if RV's  and other heavy  vehicles are unsafe at the posted speed limits, they should post that, just as they do with the towing speed limit here in CA. All they have to do is add a few words, such as "When towing and all vehicles over 6,000 lbs (or whatever), 55 MPH (or whatever)".

-Don- (South SF, CA)

Most states the speed limit is for less than in Cal or some of the western states.  Guess growing up or living in Cal, people are not aware of laws of safety because the legislators there don't care.  Many are out in left field anyway.

Jeff Cousins said:
I also believe you will blow up a lot fewer engines running them at lower speeds. Our Cat 330 will run all day at 65 but push it to 70, especially on a ninety degree day, and the temps start running warmer and the tranny temps go up.

In this case, I agree. That old RV was geared for the 55 MPH days and at 75 MPH, it was 4,000 RPMs, which may be too fast for a 400 CID to be driven all day. But it's still about 1,300 RPM's below redline.

The automotive forum tells me that a 400 CID cannot handle 4K RPM all day long for too many days in a row. I wish I knew that before!

However, it was a rebuilt engine and I hear that they reuse cranks and other stuff because there are no new ones being made for a 400 CID. It might have been a crank failure, but I will never know for sure.

OTOH, that thing had a very large four core radiator and it  ran very cool.  The coolant gauge was never more than half way up on this entire trip.
                                                                    -Don-

I don't expect a legislator to understand the physics of heavy vehicles, but I do expect the owners and drivers of those vehicles to be knowledgeable about them. 

Back
Top Bottom