2014 Ford Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

The DW is going to sell her Honda CR-V and buy a Ford Edge.  It already has a Tow Plate on it and may already have a supplemental braking system.  Our nieces husband is a master mechanic at the dealership that has it and he got us a very good deal.  $2,750 Of the 'Sale Price'.  We're rushing over to see it tomorrow morning.  It's a 2+hour drive.

It's front wheel drive but other than that it has all the goodies.

So here's my question: How well do these tow?  Anything I need to know?

Thanks,
Russ,  AKA Muddypaws

I have towed a 2011 and 2013 Edge.
2011 was FWD and the 2013 was AWD.
Both towed extremely well, really didn?t know anything was back there.
I use a Patriot aux brake and unless in large hills, have braking dialed to zero.
Only thing I had difficulties with was the battery in car would go dead on first day of towing. By the end of the first day, I had to boost car.
Solved that by using 12V wire in connector back of coach, hooked up mating wire to car battery through auto resetting 20A cct breaker.
Never a problem after that.
Follow directions in manual for recreational towing, the 2011 said not to exceed 65 mph, start the car and just run through all gears for 5 minutes when I have to fuel up.  The 2013 had same restrictions but said to run through gears every 5 or 6 hours. 
Either car, I stopped usually every 4 hours, ran car and have never had a problem.
Good luck
Bob

I tow a 2018 Edge. It tows very well. Owner's manual calls for disconnecting the battery which could be a pain.  So I put in a latching relay controlled by a switch in the grille. The braking system is Air Force 1.

We picked it up today.  It looks like it just came off the showroom floor.  One wheel has some abrasion damage but the nephew says he can get me one for about a hundred.  Not quite 24K miles in it.  She says I might get to drive it someday.

I read hundreds of reviews online but it was you guys who convinced me.  For her it was the automatic rear door.

8Muddypaws said:
We picked it up today.  It looks like it just came off the showroom floor.  One wheel has some abrasion damage but the nephew says he can get me one for about a hundred.  Not quite 24K miles in it.  She says I might get to drive it someday.

I read hundreds of reviews online but it was you guys who convinced me.  For her it was the automatic rear door.

My advice is DO NOT DRIVE IT until she puts a ding in it. Things will be better after she does the first. You never want to be the one to blame for the first ding on her vehicle.

Congrats, I think you will enjoy it. It really is a comfortable ride and lots of room.
Don?t forget to do something so you can put a bit of a charge into the car battery while towing.
That was only issue I had.

Bob

The Honda CR-V had a tow plate, arms, and a drawbar.  I mistakenly assumed that the arms and drawbar would fit this car.  It appears to be about 4-5 inches too narrow.  The arms on my existing setup fit into the receivers on the Edge

I'm wondering if I have to replace the arms or the drawbar?

Either of you guys have a Roadmaster tow plate (with square receivers),  arms, and bar?    Do they still have the part number tags on them?

I should have kept the Honda just for towing.

I know nothing about Roadmaster towing eqpt.
Always had Blue Ox.
Might be worth looking for a used tow kit, lots of folks have been towing an Edge.
My base plate from the 2013 fit the 2011. Reason I went backwards was we traded the 13 Edge for a 16 Edge and there wasn?t a base plate built for the 16 at the time so I had to pick up something reasonably quickly as we were heading to OshKosh air show. Sold my truck as it wasn?t flat towable and we needed something.
I miss my truck!

[quote author=8Muddypaws]It appears to be about 4-5 inches too narrow.[/quote]

Russ, apologies I'm having difficulty picturing this. The "arms" on several tow bars I've used have been able to fit several of our cars (sedans and SUVs). The only time I potentially needed something additional/different was when I was going to replace my Roadmaster tow bar with a Blue Ox. I just needed adapters for the ends of the arms. I ended up buying another Roadmaster, and didn't need the adapters.

BTW one of the kids had an Edge some years ago, and I was quite impressed with it. Ultimately, it was a (small) factor in our decision to buy an Explorer to replace our Suburban as a toad.

Either way I flip the arms I either come out four inches too wide or 3 3/4 inches too narrow.  Each individual arm only has about 1/2 inch of lateral adjustment allowed.

Attachments

• E60C6B6E-0413-46CC-B778-372FA9DACFF1.jpeg
    E60C6B6E-0413-46CC-B778-372FA9DACFF1.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 13
And here's the other picture with the arms flipped the other way.  You may have to zoom in to see that the bar is not in the receiver on the right.

Attachments

• D43453C1-FC5C-40E9-9BC1-A77177181DD6.jpeg
    D43453C1-FC5C-40E9-9BC1-A77177181DD6.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 13
Wish I could help you.
FWIW, my baseplate mounts considerably higher than  it appears yours does.
If it would be of any use to you I can go out and take a couple of pictures of the front of my car so you can see what it looks like without the tow pins in.
Let me know.

Bob

I have had questions on Roadmaster products and used their web site email contact and received replies by the next day.  I think you can also send them pics. 

Russ, it sounds like you might be talking about the length of that crossbar (?), which is obviously a fixed length. FWIW I bought the crossbar with our first Roadmaster, and subsequently discovered it wasn't needed with an SUV that has a pair of "rails". It's function was to help prevent twisting of a sedan chassis. Our then-Suburban had "rails", and the crossbar has been in a garden shed ever since.

The design of the Demco baseplate on our current Explorer doesn't need a crossbar for stability.

Probably not very helpful in this topic, but maybe for illustrative/discussion purposes, here's an illustrated article on my installation of the original Roadmaster baseplate, receivers, and crossbar.

BTW if you're talking about the "arms" on the tow bar, just curious which brand/model it is, and wondering why the arms don't adjust to accommodate the crossbar & brackets on the front of the Edge.

It's all Roadmaster.

I'll be calling them as soon as they open tomorrow morning.  I've got the part numbers of the arms I think I need but I need to be sure. 

We discovered that the turn signals are wired backwards.  Motorhome right/towed left, motorhome left/towed right.  We think the PO added light bulbs, no diodes that way!  That's my preference, especially with a car with so many electronic doo-dads.  At least the brake lights work correctly.

I can correct that at the front connector or tear the back end of the car apart to switch the wires.  Tough decision.  (No it's not)

Thanks Russ, let us know the outcome. But, from my experience with Roadmaster tehcies, don't accept their first response without challenging.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom