bathroom smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sscottab

when i drain and flush the black water tank i use a bottle of that dark blue liquid in the tank that the dealer sold me i put it in after the flush with about a gallon of water like the instructions say. i still get a bad smell from the tolet in the bathroom, what is everone usuing the correct this problem. i have a forest river gray wolf limited toy hauler 28 foot long tt.

Did you buy this RV used? If so you probably have a poop pyramid.  The blue stuff is a waste of money and won't help your problem. Search the forum for instructions on how to eliminate a poop pyramid.

Agree with Tom. Another thing is to make sure your ceiling vent fan is not running when you open the toilet valve. The fan will suck fumes out of the tank

The smell may be from the gray tank rather than black - it is typically the same type of odor.  There is an air admittance valve under the sink that can let tank odors into the interior if it fails, and it's a fairly common thing. Also, in some RVs the bathroom sink is plumbed to the black tank rather than the gray.

Generally those tank deodorizes don't do much and many of us don't use any product like that as long as we are using and dumping the tanks regularly.  Whenever practical, avoid being stingy with water when flushing the toilet after use.  More water = fewer odors.

the rv is new we bought it in may used over memorial weekend then again for 5 day trip in june and a week in july and 4 day trip last week. i empty the black water tank when it hits the 2/3 level and then i empty the gray tank and flush for about 10 min after last empty as we are getting ready for the trip home. i will look under the sink for a valve like you said but the stench is bad.

There could be a problem with the vent to the roof.  The black tank has a PVC pipe that goes from the tank to the roof for venting purposes.  If this is clogged or below the "water" level in the tank you will get stank in the camper....

If you're filling the tank to 2/3'rds before dumping and using a decent amount of water I don't think Poop Pyramid is the problem.

And I'm with the others in not using any chemicals in my tanks.

-Chak

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom