rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Advice on routes, Glenwood Canyon, CO to Durango, CO  (Read 253 times)

Flywriter

• ---
Advice on routes, Glenwood Canyon, CO to Durango, CO
« on: August 19, 2020, 05:37:07 PM »
Hi,

We're planning to tow our 42 foot fifth wheel from Glenwood Canyon, CO to either, Durango, CO, or to the Great Sand Dunes in Alamosa, CO.

The route to Durango would take us route 550, the Million Dollar Highway. Is that route challenging for a large fifth wheel? We have an F350 with a diesel.

The second option was to go to the Great Sand Dunes near Alamosa from Glen Wood Canyon. That would take us through Aspen on route 82. Since it is close from October to May, I question how good a road it might be, and whether sharp turns or long hills without truck lanes might discourage us from going that way.

The last question is, Durango to Alamosa along 160.

If anyone has any suggestions, advice, or recommendations, I would appreciate them.

Dana Griffin
Dana Griffin
Pilot/Writer/Camper
2017 Grand Design Solitude
2017 Ford F350

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 4
Re: Advice on routes, Glenwood Canyon, CO to Durango, CO
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 05:56:20 PM »
An alternative route that we use is to take 550 south to Ridgway, then go west on rt62 to rt 145 south to Cortez. Then take 160 to Durango.
Ken & Sheila
2019 Dutch Star -4369, HWH Active Air
2019 Jeep Trailhawk Elite, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kid Ariel

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 07:46:14 PM »
First: There is a size restriction on hwy SR-82 from Aspen to US-24.   You are way, way to large to take that route.

Second:  How much experience do you have towing a 42 foot 5th wheel with a Ford F350 in very steep mountain roads?   If you have hundreds of miles in western mountains then US-550 through Silverton to Durango can be done.  Although you should be very, very sure you have weighed your rig and you know for sure you are not overloaded.  The problem is not going up, is is going down and losing you brakes.  A loaded 42' 5th wheel is a lot of weight to tow with a 1 ton truck.

A better route is is the one Ken & Sheila recommended.

US-160 from Durango to Alamosa has a steep climb over Wolf Creek Pass and back down, but not nearly as bad as US-550.

None of these routes should be driven w/o mountain driving experience.
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G
2020 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Diesel
650 watts residential solar panels--400AH Lithium batteries

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Flywriter

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »
Thank you, all.

This was the kind of advice I was looking for. I also appreciate the cautions given about towing a camper this large in the mountains. Though I have the suggested experience towing this unit with this truck, one can never have to much knowledge. I have never driven these routes and was looking for cautions and advice.

Dana Griffin
Dana Griffin
Pilot/Writer/Camper
2017 Grand Design Solitude
2017 Ford F350