rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Grand Canyon North Rim email regarding lack of water and reducing numbers  (Read 439 times)

JudyJB

• ---
I have reservations in the campground at the North Rim of Grand Canyon for October 18-22.  I just got an email from Grand Canyon telling me that they have set a new limit of 6 people per campsite and that there would be no water fill-up there because they are still working on restoring broken water pipes. 

I travel alone, so the number of campers is not an issue, but the water is because I do not like to carry much water with me because my motorhome is probably over my weight limit anyway. 

Does anyone know where you can get a water fill-up near the north rim?  I tried to call the visitor center but just got a bunch of selections and a suggestion to go to the online site.
Full-timing for over eight years and 150,000 miles in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N.
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 4
The National Forest CG at Jacob Lake has water. The is also a Chevron Station that may have water at Jacob Lake.

Ken & Sheila
2019 Dutch Star -4369, HWH Active Air
2019 Jeep Trailhawk Elite, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kid Ariel

garyb1st

• ---
You should weigh your motorhome.  Go to a CAT scale.  It's only a few dollars.  Then you'll know whether or not you can carry enough water.  If you're maxed out, just take minimal water in your tank and a few gallons of bottled drinking water.  We never drink water from the tank and can go a few days without a shower if necessary.  You can also do a sitz bath.  Then just enjoy.  Have fun.
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

RRR

• ---
Your last blog post is indicating that are in either Oregon or Washington. The state weigh stations in both states are generally open to weigh your rig, even when the sign says "Closed." Do not enter when they say "Open" as that is when commercial traffic must report. They likely will not like you gumming up the works.

When the sign is "Closed" you can pull in and drive on the scale. Most will leave the display on and you can see your weights. Some of the older, less used ones may have the windows boarded up, but will have a small peek hole to see the scale readout. Hopefully the weighmaster will remember to turn the readout toward the view hole.

Take your time, it is free and accurate. And you won't have try to figure out the method of use at the truck stops.

2016 Bounder 34T Anniversary Edition

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
I believe Judy has already done this last year and found her coach is at or above its limits even after putting it on a diet.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

JudyJB

• ---
Good memory.  Yes, I have put my rig on a diet, and it is still about 300 pounds over the limit.  I have decided that I am OK with that because I have driven so many miles at that weight, but it is the reason I do not want to go any distance with a full tank of water! 

I have used Oregon weigh stations quite often and like them.

I might decide to stay at Jacob Lake for a couple of day and two days at the north rim.  I really cannot skip a daily shower, unfortunately.  So I will take a minimal amount of water with me for skimpy showers.

Full-timing for over eight years and 150,000 miles in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N.
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/

richclover

• ---
FWIW, Judy, Id get close to my destination and find a water supply to fill up, or whatever is needed.
Rich, Jill, the Pups, Buddy and Bitsy
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge, Sparky (avatar)
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2019 Ram 1500 4X4 Classic Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
Southwest Wyoming

Chakara

• ---
I was thinking Lake Jacob as well, it's been a few years since we've traveled that area, but my memory says they had a pretty good set of services there.

There is also the Demotte campground which on the Recreation.gov site says it has drinking water and is only 7 miles from the Rim.   Anyone know if she could fill up there?

-Chak
2018 Arctic Fox 27.5L
2015 Chevy 3500 Dually LTZ