Grand Canyon North Rim email regarding lack of water and reducing numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JudyJB

I have reservations in the campground at the North Rim of Grand Canyon for October 18-22.  I just got an email from Grand Canyon telling me that they have set a new limit of 6 people per campsite and that there would be no water fill-up there because they are still working on restoring broken water pipes. 

I travel alone, so the number of campers is not an issue, but the water is because I do not like to carry much water with me because my motorhome is probably over my weight limit anyway. 

Does anyone know where you can get a water fill-up near the north rim?  I tried to call the visitor center but just got a bunch of selections and a suggestion to go to the online site.

The National Forest CG at Jacob Lake has water. The is also a Chevron Station that may have water at Jacob Lake.

You should weigh your motorhome.  Go to a CAT scale.  It's only a few dollars.  Then you'll know whether or not you can carry enough water.  If you're maxed out, just take minimal water in your tank and a few gallons of bottled drinking water.  We never drink water from the tank and can go a few days without a shower if necessary.  You can also do a sitz bath.  Then just enjoy.  Have fun.

Your last blog post is indicating that are in either Oregon or Washington. The state weigh stations in both states are generally open to weigh your rig, even when the sign says "Closed." Do not enter when they say "Open" as that is when commercial traffic must report. They likely will not like you gumming up the works.

When the sign is "Closed" you can pull in and drive on the scale. Most will leave the display on and you can see your weights. Some of the older, less used ones may have the windows boarded up, but will have a small peek hole to see the scale readout. Hopefully the weighmaster will remember to turn the readout toward the view hole.

Take your time, it is free and accurate. And you won't have try to figure out the method of use at the truck stops.

Good memory.  Yes, I have put my rig on a diet, and it is still about 300 pounds over the limit.  I have decided that I am OK with that because I have driven so many miles at that weight, but it is the reason I do not want to go any distance with a full tank of water! 

I have used Oregon weigh stations quite often and like them.

I might decide to stay at Jacob Lake for a couple of day and two days at the north rim.  I really cannot skip a daily shower, unfortunately.  So I will take a minimal amount of water with me for skimpy showers.

FWIW, Judy, I?d get close to my destination and find a water supply to fill up, or whatever is needed.

I was thinking Lake Jacob as well, it's been a few years since we've traveled that area, but my memory says they had a pretty good set of services there.

There is also the Demotte campground which on the Recreation.gov site says it has drinking water and is only 7 miles from the Rim.  Anyone know if she could fill up there?

-Chak

Back
Top Bottom