rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Suggestion for a foliage route 7 days - NH, VT and ME  (Read 614 times)

Davoice

Suggestion for a foliage route 7 days - NH, VT and ME
« on: August 21, 2020, 12:21:15 AM »
Hello,
Because of the pandemic , we are trying RV for First time and would like to find a foliage route on Sept 26-Oct 3 and apprecIate any help

1. We live in NJ and would like to drive using our car to NH, pick up the RV and leave the car at owners place (is that possible? Do rv owners allow people to park?

2.  Being a first timer, will i be ok driving a 24 footer around nh, vt and me roads.

3,  Would like suggestions for an itinerary please? And suggestions where to parn of camp along the routes.
     Our main goal is to hike and enjoy the colors and given a beginner, i might shy away from towns and cities

Thanks!

SeilerBird

• ---
Re: Suggestion for a foliage route 7 days - NH, VT and ME
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 04:00:31 AM »
Welcome to the forum. When I went a few years ago I just watched one of the many fall foliage reports web sites. They will tell you when and where the foliage is the best. Basically it starts at the Canadian border and rolls south.

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 10:58:52 AM »
A trip across PA on I 80 during the middle two weeks of October rivals the "famed New England" fall colors. Getting off 80 near State College and going around on the north side allows you to make a loop of about 12 covered bridges, which in the fall is really colorful.

Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

LarsMac

• ---
  • Going nowhere fast
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »
May suggest renting a 20 foot Uhaul for a couple of days and drive it around to get a feel to the wide vehicle.

Then try a 26 ft truck for a day or two.

Not quite the same as an RV, but will help you get the feel of a larger vehicle. Then, when you get into the RV, it won't feel quite so foreign to you.

And relax. your mind adjusts fairly quickly.
Stick with US and State Highways, and you should be fine.

A nice drive in the fall would be to go up to around Bangor, and the follow US 2 west to Burlington, then South to Saratoga Springs,\
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V - Ford V-10
Towing 2007 Saturn Vue with Blue Ox bar and Even Brake

ďAll I ever needed was a wheel in my hand and four on the road.Ē -- Apologies, or Thanks, to Jack Kerouac

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 03:27:43 AM »
A trip across PA on I 80 during the middle two weeks of October rivals the "famed New England" fall colors. Getting off 80 near State College and going around on the north side allows you to make a loop of about 12 covered bridges, which in the fall is really colorful.
Chet, I'm assuming you drive "past" and not "under" those bridges?

I know we drove over several but didn't think that were RV friendly.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 04:42:42 PM »
No. The RV is parked and the bridges are visited by car.

Chet18013

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 05:07:21 PM »
No. The RV is parked and the bridges are visited by car.
Ah, OK. I think OP is renting an RV and won't have a car....

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 10:43:33 AM »
You can still see all the covered bridges in the area and not have to cross them. Might have to drive a few extra miles, but it possible to visit them.

Chet18013

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »
You can still see all the covered bridges in the area and not have to cross them. Might have to drive a few extra miles, but it possible to visit them.
True, but at least some of those covered bridges (most that I have seen) have a narrow road leading to them, and there's often little or no place to turn an RV around before crossing the bridge, along with the lack of clearance. For some it's hard to even find a place to park a small car to look more closely at the bridge, so it's good to check it out in advance if an RV is your conveyance. I'd hate to have to back up a mile or more to exit the area.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 02:41:47 PM »
Google Earth is your friend here.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle & Tigger
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap (which will come off for the 5th wheel)
2018 Grand Design 337RLS
2016 H-D Electraglide Ultra
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)
N1SPA (up to my neck in hot water, as usual

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 06:47:17 PM »
Davoice...you better be making some reservations pretty soon.

New England is a very popular place in the fall so reservations are a must.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 12:13:54 PM »
     One thing that a quick read of the post does not mention is that the Columbus Day weekend is considered a must for "Leaf Peeping".  If you are going to be anywhere in the high colour area, make sure you have campground reservations. 
     As for where, you will just have to get out of the towns and villages anywhere into the White or Green Mountains.  I'm not sure if is running, but the western side of Mount Washington has a Cog Railway that is well worth the time and fee. Here is a link to their website: https://www.thecog.com/

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 12:28:35 PM »

I'm not sure if is running, but the western side of Mount Washington has a Cog Railway that is well worth the time and fee. Here is a link to their website: https://www.thecog.com/

Ed

Iíve never been on the Cog. We always drove up the Mt. Washington Auto Road. To me, thatís the only way to go up. If you go up in the fall, make sure you have extra warm clothes. Even in the summer it can get pretty cold up there.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 12:30:06 PM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 02:03:52 PM »
Iíve never been on the Cog. We always drove up the Mt. Washington Auto Road. To me, thatís the only way to go up. If you go up in the fall, make sure you have extra warm clothes. Even in the summer it can get pretty cold up there.
We tried to do this but it was cold and icy and we were told we could only go so far which we did.  The wind was awful and when I opened the door it whipped it away and it hit the car next to us.  Steve was very impressed.... not.  We did exchange details with the guy and as it was a hire car we were not too worried as we had insurance.

I could not believe how cold it was up there though.  Brrrr. 

We drove on a road called the Kancamagus Pass - US112 - which was really pretty for the trees, this is in NH. I cannot remember the whole road but think it was OK for an RV, in fact looking at Streetview the Google car was following a small RV.  There was a covered bridge, I think the photo from Chet shows it, but this was off to the side if I recall correctly.

Check your route carefully to avoid those covered bridges which are very pretty to see but you don't want to come across them and end up holding up traffic or worse!

We also stayed in the town of Inlet which is still in NY and it was really lovely at that time of year with the fall colours.  I think if you go anywhere with a forest with the right type of trees you won't fail.

Hope it all works out for you.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 02:32:37 PM »
Here are some pix of covered bridges (and their approaches) in Vermont, taken a few years ago.

Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 04:54:28 PM »
Just to be clear, the Kank does not have any overhead bridges at all. Any covered bridges are on side roads. In the big picture (which includes real mountains like the rockys), the road is not bad. There is one sharp turn but otherwise is fine. In leafpeaper season it will be bumper to bumper so no one is going fast.
Very nice ride. I do it every few years just cause...
Rob & Deryl, Nettle & Tigger
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap (which will come off for the 5th wheel)
2018 Grand Design 337RLS
2016 H-D Electraglide Ultra
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)
N1SPA (up to my neck in hot water, as usual