Lost My Copilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nvrver

It has been two months since my dear wife Ellen passed away, she was not in the best of health but her death was totally unexpected and not due to Covid-19.  We were just planning for our 40th anniversary.

She is the one who in 1984 suggested it would be fun to check into motorhomes travel. We just went to look and ended up buying a 1977 Southwind, first RV of fourteen. Over the years we have had good times and wonderful RV trips. I will turn 80 my next birthday, in pretty good health and I?m not ready to give up RV traveling yet. 

Basically I?m looking for any advice from other singles and others on traveling alone.

My Idaho son and his family would love to have me live closer to them and I?m starting to think that may be a good move for me.

Depending upon Covid-19 I?m planning my first solo trip in early October to Caldwell Idaho to research the area .  Richard (Dick nvrver)

Basically I?m looking for any advice from other singles and others on traveling alone.
I feel so much sympathy for you. I just lost a cat last month and that is devastating. I cannot imagine what you are going through loosing a wife.

I full timed for ten years as a single. My advise is to get a book on the National Parks and see if you can visit every one of them. They are all worthwhile. You qualify for a senior pass and that means all your NP admissions are free and NP campgrounds are half price.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Richard. I doubt if any of us can truly appreciate your loneliness. 

There is an organization for single campers that might be of interest to you. It's called Loners On Wheels and they are NOT just a lonely hearts club in disguise.  They have a website at https://lonersonwheels.com/index.html
There are a few others as well, e.g. RV Singles and RV Singles Connection.  I don't know much about those two, but Loners is a well-respected group.
This article may help:https://rvshare.com/blog/3-ways-single-full-time-rvers-find-companionship-road/

I encourage you to avoid any major decisions during the first year when the grief is at its worst.  You have the advantage of an RV, so you can readily move to spend time with family or close friends without making a long term commitment yet. 

I am truly sorry to read  this, I lost mine three years ago and it still hurts. I have not traveled much since, my heart has not been in it, but things are looking up with a new lady friend. Put on a clean shirt, a brave face and step out with a firm step. Above all stay busy and enjoy what you are doing. Good luck.

Your Kids have their own life. Unless they are unusual moving to be near them could be a bad idea. Over the years we have had many people move to be near their children and over half regret it because they are either baby sitters, ignored or minimal contact with the kids.
TAKE YOUR TIME BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

Very sorry to read of your loss, condolences to you.  I cannot offer any help with regards to Idaho real estate, but it has generally and correctly said not to make any big life changes during the first year after a big loss and considering COVID-19 is an additional reason to wait.  While I understand you have family in Idaho which may ultimately be the best choice for you and your family, giving it some time may ultimately help make the best choice for you.  Whatever you choose to do, best wishes for you going forward and again, so sorry for your loss.

I can't imagine how I'd even start to deal with what you're dealing with. I am so sorry for your loss. I do think that being close to family helps, for whatever that's worth. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kev

My condolences!
I lost my wife 12 years ago this month. It still hurts. From Joe Cocker... a little help from your friends goes a long way. Look back at the memories and forward to the opportunities. My current lady friend, best friend and best buddy suggested we do more travel. We are getting an rv next spring.

Move forward!

My condolences as well...

I've been there....Some very sound advice regarding big decisions.

So sorry for your loss. It's important to have strong social interactions even if only a few. Idaho is beautiful country but Gary's advice is strong.

Take some time to grieve and mourn but be careful about big moves. Ultimately you might find that family close enough to visit but not visit every day is a nice distance...

Finding a "hobby group" whether it's a core hobby or an RV group will give you social contact, although tough in this year's environment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom