Will work for E-W-S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johncmr

My daughter is going to take the plunge and head out full timing in a class A.  She's looking at kind of a free-form style with no hard and set schedule or location route. 

I mentioned that there are campgrounds that have folks help with the cleaning, registration, lawn and so forth for their site rental.

Anyone have more info on that?

Thanks.

johncmr

John,

We have a number of folks here who "workcamp" and hopefully they'll chime in with their knowledge and experience.

We also have an article or two in our forum library that might help a little. Click the Library button in the toolbar above and select Fulltiming.

We've been workamping/volunteering for several years.  The best way to get started is to subscribe to Workampers News, a magazine which is published six times a year.  It lists workamping opportunities in nearly every state.  Googling Workamper News should get you lots of information.  In addition to the magazine subscription, they have a very reasonable "plus" subscription which allows you to receive latest job opportunities daily via the internet.  It also allows you to post a resume for consideration by employers. 

Margi

Tom and Margi said:
We've been workamping/volunteering for several years.
Margi

Hi guys.  Not to start thread drift but just seeing your names brought back some nice memories.  Hope our paths cross again soon.

Joel

Me, too, Joel.  It was fun wild goose chasing around Iowa with you and Camille.  :D

Because I'm trying to be good and stay on topic .... difficult sometimes! .... I can say that workamping is a great way to either meet new friends or spend some time in a different part of the country and reunite with old friends. 

Adventureland in Iowa, in particular, was so close to I-80 that we had several forum friends stop by each year.  In addition, Adventureland hires 250 workamping couples each year, so we made tons of new friends.  Their repeat rate is close to 40% so we would renew friendships each year and make many new ones.

Margi

There was a recruiter for Adventureland at Quartzsite. Mike stopped to talk to him and the first thing he said was "How attached are you to your beard?" Since Mike is very attached to his beard, he decided Adventureland wasn't for him (nor are the Disney parks). But we're still looking !!

Wendy

Wendy...  Funny you mention that, Jolene and I both stopped there at QZ as well, and heard the same caveat.  We did meet a couple up in Havasu that was on their way there.  I would have considered it, my beard grows back fast, but figured there were enough places to work without that problem.  Sure enough, got the job at Old Faithful for the summer.  Figure I'll need beard to stay warm!

We enjoy vlounteering.  Opportunities abound, both paid and unpaid.  So far we have leaned toward the unpaid positions, where we receive a site with hook-ups.  With the economy the way it is many parks are experiencing serious budget cuts and dempend more and more on volunteers.  In cases like Florida where there are far more volunteers than there are positions for volunteers, it is common for them to demand more than just hosting. 

National Parks, BLM, National Forest, etc. post opportunities at http://www.volunteer.gov/gov/.  States all do it differently.  some states have a common DNR site where postings for all of there parks can be found.  In other states it is necessary to go to each specific parks site.  And in many cases web sites are not available and direct communications with the specific park volunteer coordinator is required.  City and county parks also depend on volunteers.  Currently we are at a Nature Conservancy site in southern AZ. 

There are also the paid positions found in workkampers.com 

Our experiences have been great.  You get to see a lot and you meet a lot of wonderful people. 

Johncmr said:
My daughter is going to take the plunge and head out full timing in a class A.  She's looking at kind of a free-form style with no hard and set schedule or location route. 

I mentioned that there are campgrounds that have folks help with the cleaning, registration, lawn and so forth for their site rental.

Anyone have more info on that?

Thanks.

johncmr

I would add one cautionary note here.  I don't know of any (although there must be some) places that would be willing to accept a work kamper without a fairly set schedule of some kind.  If your daughter was more willing to dedicate a specified period of time - generally two months or more - in one place, that would make it much easier.

My husband may be getting laid off in the next couple of months, He is 47 years old and has worked very hard over the years to raise our family. I would love for the two of us to take a year off and travel. We could not do this with out some income. Dose anyone have any idea on what you could make being a work camper? Thanks

brens said:
My husband may be getting laid off in the next couple of months, He is 47 years old and has worked very hard over the years to raise our family. I would love for the two of us to take a year off and travel. We could not do this with out some income. Dose anyone have any idea on what you could make being a work camper? Thanks

Depends on the type of work but, skilled trades usually pay union scale.  You may have to stay in one spot until the project is complete.  I have a cousin who is a Registered Nurse and never had a problem finding work wherever she landed.

If you are looking for an unskilled job just to get a place to camp, don't expect a high wage.

PhilB

Back
Top Bottom