rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Anybody been across Rt 2 recently?  (Read 476 times)

Laura & Charles

• ---
Anybody been across Rt 2 recently?
« on: August 23, 2020, 09:58:55 AM »
Weve made our way from the UP to now near Bemidji, MN and, if wildfires dont cause us to change plans/course, well continue to MT. Weve experienced stretches on US 2 that were smooth as glass and others that nearly rattled our fillings out.
We generally avoid interstates. Were wondering if there are any lengthy stretches on 2 that we should avoid and drop down to I-94.  We dont mind the extra miles of switching back and forth... shortest route is never a big navigational consideration for us.  Enjoyable ride however, IS.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:00:31 AM by Laura & Charles »
Living and working full-time out of Rosie (Shes the Queen of Corona):
A 2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43dft;
Dinghy towing a 2014 Honda CR V;
SMI Stay In Play Duo aux braking system.

jymbee

• ---
Re: Anybody been across Rt 2 recently?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »
Can't help with any Rte. 2 specifics as we've never traveled there, but we have looked at that as an option for a potential cross country trip at some point in the future.

If Google, Garmin, and all the navigation data collectors REALLY want to provide a useful service, they should highlight rough roads (perhaps color coded to indicate level of "roughness") on their that RVers can view to choose the smoothest route!  :))  ;)

Like you, most of the time distance is but a second consideration for the most part when planning a trip.

Weve made our way from the UP to now near Bemidji, MN and, if wildfires dont cause us to change plans/course, well continue to MT. Weve experienced stretches on US 2 that were smooth as glass and others that nearly rattled our fillings out.
We generally avoid interstates. Were wondering if there are any lengthy stretches on 2 that we should avoid and drop down to I-94.  We dont mind the extra miles of switching back and forth... shortest route is never a big navigational consideration for us.  Enjoyable ride however, IS.
Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 01:27:21 PM »
We've been on US 2 twice in the last 5+ years.  Last summer from just North of Cloquet MN. to Deer River, MN.  Then from Minot ND to Malta MT.  Don't recall any major problems.  Some road construction but nothing major.  Previously on the 2 there was major road work in the Williston area that was made worse by all the heavy construction vehicles going at break neck speed.  Last year by comparison it was pretty calm.  Despite road construction that IMHO have been far worse on the Interstates, I'd take US highways and backroads any day of the week. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 02:25:32 PM »
Can't help with any Rte. 2 specifics as we've never traveled there, but we have looked at that as an option for a potential cross country trip at some point in the future.

If Google, Garmin, and all the navigation data collectors REALLY want to provide a useful service, they should highlight rough roads (perhaps color coded to indicate level of "roughness") on their that RVers can view to choose the smoothest route!  :))  ;)

Like you, most of the time distance is but a second consideration for the most part when planning a trip.

And how would that be accomplished?
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 03:05:03 PM »
 What's so hard to understand about a color code.??>>>Dan ( The only problem I can see would be the duration of the notice.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:07:03 PM by Utclmjmpr »
Vary rare American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Last year Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
FMCA F312919

You can't fix stupid,, but you CAN numb it with a 2X4

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 03:17:30 PM »
What's so hard to understand about a color code.??>>>Dan ( The only problem I can see would be the duration of the notice.)
HOW DO YOU GET the data? That is the question. I understand color codes
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

ziplock

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
HOW DO YOU GET the data? That is the question. I understand color codes

The old, "Well we went to the moon, so this should be easy line".  hhahahaa

The news  shows slow road traffic on color coded maps during rush hour.  It can be done.
Maryland

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 05:20:52 PM »
The news  shows slow road traffic on color coded maps during rush hour.  It can be done.
Sure they do, but they are driven by embedded sensors in the road. Even so, it only works around some big cities. But HOW DO YOU GET THE DATA TO THE GPS???

But, just as important is where do you get data about rough roads? After all, those roads sensors only show roughly how much traffic is there (or how fast they're going). And how do you update a GPS in real time, or at least daily? There's a BIG disconnect here. First the "HOW" must be answered.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 06:56:24 PM »
Please don't confuse traffic conditions with road surface condition. Traffic is easy. Telling about potholes is a different thing.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y
2018 Ford Edge SEL
Air Force One towed brakes
Blue Ox towed setup

Laura & Charles

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 09:47:14 PM »
Jeez folks!!  I asked about the condition of a particular road.  I got a couple of replies pertinent to my question.  All other replies are about a hypothetical technology that could report road surface conditions in  real time. (fwiw, I have no doubt that could be developed and Id be a buyer.)  Please create a new post to debate pros and cons and feasibility of that and leave my original question out of the devolvement. (And dont get me wrong... I totally think technology is developed enough and am interested ... just not on convinced the investers will see it as I do... and certainly dont want this debate to impinge on my original question.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:53:47 PM by Laura & Charles »
Living and working full-time out of Rosie (Shes the Queen of Corona):
A 2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43dft;
Dinghy towing a 2014 Honda CR V;
SMI Stay In Play Duo aux braking system.

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »
Jeez folks!!  I asked about the condition of a particular road.  I got a couple of replies pertinent to my question.  All other replies are about a hypothetical technology that could report road surface conditions in  real time. (fwiw, I have no doubt that could be developed and Id be a buyer.)  Please create a new post to debate pros and cons and feasibility of that and leave my original question out of the devolvement. (And dont get me wrong... I totally think technology is developed enough and am interested ... just not on convinced the investers will see it as I do... and certainly dont want this debate to impinge on my original question.)

Methinks you need to lighten up a bit here.  :) Still plenty of opportunity for anyone to reply with specifics to your question, but "thread drift" is an inherent part of any online discussion. I seriously doubt that there's even been a discussion of any length here that did not include a fair amount of peripheral discussion. Nothing at all wrong with that IMO.
Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A