Anybody been across Rt 2 recently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura & Charles

Could be anywhere. Originally from Ohio. Go Bucks!
We?ve made our way from the UP to now near Bemidji, MN and, if wildfires don?t cause us to change plans/course, we?ll continue to MT. We?ve experienced stretches on US 2 that we?re smooth as glass and others that nearly rattled our fillings out.
We generally avoid interstates. We?re wondering if there are any lengthy stretches on 2 that we should avoid and drop down to I-94.  We don?t mind the extra miles of switching back and forth... shortest route is never a big navigational consideration for us.  Enjoyable ride however, IS.

Can't help with any Rte. 2 specifics as we've never traveled there, but we have looked at that as an option for a potential cross country trip at some point in the future.

If Google, Garmin, and all the navigation data collectors REALLY want to provide a useful service, they should highlight rough roads (perhaps color coded to indicate level of "roughness") on their that RVers can view to choose the smoothest route!  :);)

Like you, most of the time distance is but a second consideration for the most part when planning a trip.

Laura & Charles said:
We?ve made our way from the UP to now near Bemidji, MN and, if wildfires don?t cause us to change plans/course, we?ll continue to MT. We?ve experienced stretches on US 2 that we?re smooth as glass and others that nearly rattled our fillings out.
We generally avoid interstates. We?re wondering if there are any lengthy stretches on 2 that we should avoid and drop down to I-94.  We don?t mind the extra miles of switching back and forth... shortest route is never a big navigational consideration for us.  Enjoyable ride however, IS.

We've been on US 2 twice in the last 5+ years.  Last summer from just North of Cloquet MN. to Deer River, MN.  Then from Minot ND to Malta MT.  Don't recall any major problems.  Some road construction but nothing major.  Previously on the 2 there was major road work in the Williston area that was made worse by all the heavy construction vehicles going at break neck speed.  Last year by comparison it was pretty calm.  Despite road construction that IMHO have been far worse on the Interstates, I'd take US highways and backroads any day of the week. 

jymbee said:
Can't help with any Rte. 2 specifics as we've never traveled there, but we have looked at that as an option for a potential cross country trip at some point in the future.

If Google, Garmin, and all the navigation data collectors REALLY want to provide a useful service, they should highlight rough roads (perhaps color coded to indicate level of "roughness") on their that RVers can view to choose the smoothest route!  :);)

Like you, most of the time distance is but a second consideration for the most part when planning a trip.

And how would that be accomplished?

What's so hard to understand about a color code.??>>>Dan ( The only problem I can see would be the duration of the notice.)

darsben said:
HOW DO YOU GET the data? That is the question. I understand color codes

The old, "Well we went to the moon, so this should be easy line".  hhahahaa

The news  shows slow road traffic on color coded maps during rush hour.  It can be done.

The news  shows slow road traffic on color coded maps during rush hour.  It can be done.
Sure they do, but they are driven by embedded sensors in the road. Even so, it only works around some big cities. But HOW DO YOU GET THE DATA TO THE GPS???

But, just as important is where do you get data about rough roads? After all, those roads sensors only show roughly how much traffic is there (or how fast they're going). And how do you update a GPS in real time, or at least daily? There's a BIG disconnect here. First the "HOW" must be answered.

Please don't confuse traffic conditions with road surface condition. Traffic is easy. Telling about potholes is a different thing.

Jeez folks!!  I asked about the condition of a particular road.  I got a couple of replies pertinent to my question.  All other replies are about a hypothetical technology that could report road surface conditions in  real time. (fwiw, I have no doubt that could be developed and I?d be a buyer.)  Please create a new post to debate pros and cons and feasibility of that and leave my original question out of the devolvement. (And don?t get me wrong... I totally think technology is developed enough and am interested ... just not on convinced the investers will see it as I do... and certainly don?t want this debate to impinge on my original question.)

Laura & Charles said:
Jeez folks!!  I asked about the condition of a particular road.  I got a couple of replies pertinent to my question.  All other replies are about a hypothetical technology that could report road surface conditions in  real time. (fwiw, I have no doubt that could be developed and I?d be a buyer.)  Please create a new post to debate pros and cons and feasibility of that and leave my original question out of the devolvement. (And don?t get me wrong... I totally think technology is developed enough and am interested ... just not on convinced the investers will see it as I do... and certainly don?t want this debate to impinge on my original question.)

Methinks you need to lighten up a bit here.  :) Still plenty of opportunity for anyone to reply with specifics to your question, but "thread drift" is an inherent part of any online discussion. I seriously doubt that there's even been a discussion of any length here that did not include a fair amount of peripheral discussion. Nothing at all wrong with that IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom