Payolad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uga40

Is it generally okay to be right at your max payload numbers? I have a 2020 Ram 1500, payload is 1615 lbs. My dry hitch weight is listed at 780 lbs. the GVWR of the trailer is 7000 lbs, so i am thinking with the WD hitch of 100 lbs, to be around a hitch weight of 1100 lbs, add 420 lbs of body weight in the truck and i am at 1520 lbs. Add 50 lbs of gear in the truck and i am almost maxed. This is a 25' trailer.

Im assuming your going off mfg published numbers and not true numbers?  You need to load the truck like your going camping, kids, fuel, etc and drive across a set of scales.  Subtract that scaled weight from the trucks GVWR as loated on the drivers door post.  Samemfor the proposed trailer.  Get its GVWR and use the accepted 12% of that number as tongue weight.
Now, to be honest a 25 foot TT being pulled by what Im guessing is a short bed truck would not be my ideal situation.  Think of the tail wagging the dog picture in your mind when thinking this thru.

thanks and yes i am going by mfg numbers. So a 3/4 ton truck is needed for a 25ft trailer?  I was thinking a half ton would be fine for 25 ft and less.

Yes, it is okay to go to the max listed payload.  But as Donn mentioned, no way can you trust published numbers, or salespeople.  Personally, 25' at 7k lbs is pushing that Ram.  I spent a bunch of time researching before I bought my Ford (and I'm a GM guy  ;)  )  Not knowing any other facts, I say you will not be happy if you get to that weight.  Stick closer to 23' and 6k GVW and you will have a much better experience.

The dry hitch weight is meaningless once you have used the trailer the first time. There will be some gear and some water onboard, plus there are probably installed options that were not in the sales brochure weights.  You should assume the hitch weight is 10% of the trailer GVWR unless and until you have an actual weight from a truck scale that shows otherwise, but that's still puts you in the range you estimate, around 1500 total.  My advice, though, is to get to a scale once you've made a trip or two and weight trailer and truck, together and separately.

Yes, you can generally run a pick-up truck right at its max payload. I would not recommend that with a car or SUV, but pickups are usually robust enough to do that.
I have written an article on where & how to weigh your trailer. It's published on another website, though.
How and Where to Weigh Your Travel Trailer

uga40 said:
thanks and yes i am going by mfg numbers. So a 3/4 ton truck is needed for a 25ft trailer?  I was thinking a half ton would be fine for 25 ft and less.

You will be much happier.  Still watch the payload numbers on 3/4 ton.  You get into high trim levels, they are not that great.

uga40 said:
You really need to get some scaled numbers before doing anything.  One thing no one has asked.  What motor?  What rear end ratio?
Personally, if you have a 5.7 Hemi and a decent RE ratio on a long bed truck a 25 foot would be absolute maximum I would consider.  And thats only after spending a lot of money for a hitch like a Hensley Arrow or something similar.  Rember a TT will act like a giant sail on a sail boat with the slightest wind or a semi passing.  Not something you will ever want to experience, believe me.

donn said:
You really need to get some scaled numbers before doing anything.  One thing no one has asked.  What motor?  What rear end ratio?
Personally, if you have a 5.7 Hemi and a decent RE ratio on a long bed truck a 25 foot would be absolute maximum I would consider.  And thats only after spending a lot of money for a hitch like a Hensley Arrow or something similar.  Rember a TT will act like a giant sail on a sail boat with the slightest wind or a semi passing.  Not something you will ever want to experience, believe me.

It is a EcoDiesel with a 3.92 axle ratio, 5.7 bed.

Travel Trailer is a Flagstaff Ultra Lite, 5272 dry weight ; 6841 GVWR ;

I towed a 28 ft. TT with a ram 1500 for 13 years in the mountains of California and Colorado and never had any issues with towing. I don't believe you need to go to a 3/4 ton truck,  The TT we pulled weighed 6300 lbs.

I wouldn't even consider pulling that trailer with your truck. The tail will be wagging the dog in a wind or being passed by semis and it will be a big disappointment on hills. Coming down a steep grade will give you grey hairs and religion.

I guess I'm not as conservative as some here.  IMO, a decently-equipped Ram 1500 like this one should manage a 7000 lb trailer adequately.  Sure, more truck is better if conditions get tough, but at some point enough has to be enough.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I guess I'm not as conservative as some here.  IMO, a decently-equipped Ram 1500 like this one should manage a 7000 lb trailer adequately.  Sure, more truck is better if conditions get tough, but at some point enough has to be enough.

I agree. I have pulled up to 10k lbs (yes, over the CGVW) with my old 1500 hemi. My 7000 utility trailer was fine. Ok, fuel mileage was awful but the drive was fine. I agree, a 25? sail is a big deal compared to my 14? sail. I would watch my payload carefully. The big risk I see is too much load ON the truck lifting weight off of the steer wheels.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom