Web cam to keep an eye on doggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
If/when we leave them in the coach, our doggies wait patiently for Chris to get home. Same as when we leave them at home, or if they stay home with me while Chris makes an extended trip. Doggies wait on the dash of the coach or looking out a side window. For the most part, they're very subdued and well behaved. Occasionally we come home (to the coach or the S&B) and find that doggies got into something they shouldn't have, usually something we should not have left out.

I belatedly sprang for a web cam that I can view on my cell phone. It has the ability to pan/tilt, zoom, and has 2-way audio. First test this week.

Let me know how it works for you Tom. I have a cam, but it doesn't pan and tilt. I am thinking of adding that feature to the one at the stick house too.

Will do Marty. We have a long evening in Jackson planned with Tim & Marsha, and won't be home until very late. So I was a bit concerned. If it works OK, I might install a couple overlooking the boats at the CA house (not necessarily the same make/model).

We use the Alfred app on our phone and tablet. My phone stays in the camper for the routers wifi and also one of the alfred cams and the tablet is the other one . We also have a Govee remote temperature monitor.
Also interested in the camera you purchased,  I would like to mount one permanently

[quote author=SMR]Also interested in the camera you purchased...[/quote]
I don't think there's anything special about what I bought (there are countless options out there, including better ones), but I bought this camera:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQR22QS/

The first test of the web cam was our long absence last evening, and gets a big thumbs up. It was reassuring to physically see the interior of the coach while in transit to/from another town and while attending an event. The pan/tilt/zoom features worked very well.

I chose not to use the 2-way audio feature to talk to doggies, preferring to leave that until they need some reassurance or correction. They were so quiet and well behaved, that I figured I'd probably drive them crazy looking for us if they could hear, but not see us. I'll experiment with that while we're nearby.

Problem with this idea is there isn't anything you can do about what you see remotely.  Kinda like having a security camera in your house and see someone going through your stuff.  Unless you have someone close by to intervene all you end up with is a video record of what happened, which you already know by the end result.

We put the dogs in their kennels, leave the vent fans running and a few windows cracked.  The only time they have free run is when someone's there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

[quote author=Mark_K5LXP]Problem with this idea is there isn't anything you can do about what you see remotely.[/quote]

No perceived problem here. If we saw the dogs getting into something they shouldn't, all it would take is a verbal comment to distract them  ;)

Separately, we get to observe their "good" behavior.

[quote author=echobot]How do you connect your web cam to the internet in your coach?[/quote]

Wifi to one of the routers. In our current situation, it's connecting to the phone company's router in the shed on our lot. If we weren't on the lot, it would connect to one of my other routers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom