Coach Net for California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Anyone have any experience with Coach Net in California.  Application says services and benefits provided through Coach Net Motor Club Inc.  The DW thinks it's a different company.  Any residents of California have any experience?  In addition to AAA, we had the FMCA towing cover.  Cost for both is more than $300.  What the best regardless of cost? 

We live in California and have had Coach Net for a number of years. Although most of our service calls have been while we've been out of state, we have had small  service calls on cars in the Golden state. They dispatch whoever they can that is nearest to us, typically independent providers.

garyb1st said:
Anyone have any experience with Coach Net in California.  Application says services and benefits provided through Coach Net Motor Club Inc.  The DW thinks it's a different company. 

The coach-net.com web site also says service is provided by Coach Net Motor Club, Inc.  Does she expect it to be provided by a company named coach-net.com?

Road service companies are call and service centers.  They don't have nationwide fleets of tow trucks waiting for your call - they contract with local companies where ever you happen to be.  I had great service the few times I've had to call them over the last 10 years - a breakdown in Death Valley (they transported my motorhome on a flatbed semi-trailer wrecker 120 miles to a garage in Pahrump), a fuel pump failure near Gillette, WY and when I broke down near Lander, WY with an exhaust leak that almost set the coach on fire.  Each time the shop they selected fixed the problem quickly and at a reasonable price. 

They even helped me get into a shop as a drive-in customer while I was living in Los Angeles.  Everywhere I called said they were booked solid for at least a month.  I called Coach-Net for assistance and they placed a call to the shop I preferred and told them to treat me as a customer they had towed in.  Shops want future business from Coach-Net so they give priority service to their referrals.

Here's the story of my Lander WY repair experience:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,65874.msg604851.html#msg604851

I know that Lou.  She wasn't speaking of the folks that come out to assist.  At one time we thought that Coach Net was not licensed to sell in California. 

Tom, is it the same company, same policy, benefits etc. 

Thanks  Gary

[quote author=garyb1st]Tom, is it the same company, same policy, benefits etc.[/quote]
Not sure what you're asking. Same as what? The card I carry with their phone number says "services provided by Coach-Net Motor Club". I don't have a "policy" per se in the coach, and have never been asked for anything other than the card.

Personally, all I care about is that I make one call, they ask if we're in a safe place and where we are, and they proceed to locate a provider close to us. In some cases they've called us back in a few minutes to confirm who's coming to our aid and where they're coming from.

FWIW we've had their coverage since 2004; The first year premium was paid for by Monaco when we bought our coach new. 
Edit: The address on the back of the card is Lake Havasu City, Az.

Tom, when we looked into Coach Net about 6 years ago, we were told they didn't provide coverage in California.  Because of my background in insurance I took that to mean they were an insurance company but no longer a licensed company in the state of California.  Since you've been covered long before that, it looks like I may have been given some bad information.  That or you were grandfathered in and for whatever reason were allowed to continue your coverage.  In any event, whether or not they are an insurance company, there must be some document describing the terms and conditions under which you are able to obtain assistance.  For example, if traveling in Mexico, and you had a breakdown, your coverage may not apply.  If you had a document, you would be able to determine that one way or the other.  Another example of when you would want a policy or document of some kind is when you might have coverage under more than one policy.  Auto insurance policies often provide a towing benefit.  When an insured has more than one policy, the duplication of benefits feature would come into play.  When you have two dissimilar benefits, (one providing a fixed mileage benefit and the other unlimited mileage) it's possible you will not collect 100% of your loss. 

BTW if you run a search on "coach net" (with quotes), you'll see lots of prior discussions on this subject.

In any event, whether or not they are an insurance company, there must be some document describing the terms and conditions under which you are able to obtain assistance.

I have no idea if we have such a document but, if we do, it would be at home in California.

We don't plan to take the coach into Mexico, but have been in the Canadian (maritime) provinces. I don't recall needing service up there, so in retrospect I don't know if we were covered or not  ???

That or you were grandfathered in and for whatever reason were allowed to continue your coverage.

I really don't know the answer to that.

Your original post suggests that you have the option to subscribe, and I'm at a loss to understand your concern. Your issue appears to be the Coach-Net Motor Club. If you're not comfortable with them, go with someone else. 

Tom said:
BTW if you run a search on "coach net" (with quotes), you'll see lots of prior discussions on this subject.

This is my post of 2014. 

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,74195.msg675081.html#msg675081 

Gary,

I vaguely recall some of that confusion, although I don't recall the outcome. But your first post in this discussion suggests that you have the option to apply. Have you tried calling them?

I have no idea if we have such a document but, if we do, it would be at home in California.
Ditto for all our auto policies. I've never had an issue providing any auto insurance card and, if I've ever needed any documentation, I make a call to our local agent (at home), and it shows up minutes later in my email.

FWIW we carry a parallel coverage for our boats using the BOATUS organization. We have wallet-sized cards and also smaller "tags" that hang on our boat key chains. Never had a problem calling for assistance (phone or VHF radio), and the experience is virtually the same as Coach-Net. The difference is that they're based on the East coast (VA), but have California-based dispatchers accessible via local VHF radio towers.

[quote author=Tom]... we carry a parallel coverage for our boats using the BOATUS organization.
[/quote]
BOATUS uses external providers, previously TowBoatUS and, last I checked, Vessel Assist.

My favorite story was when I needed a diver because Captain Chris had run over a stern anchor line that was now wrapped around a prop, disabling the boat. I called BOATUS back east and they called a local (CA) diver. When they gave the diver our boat name, he replied "that's Tom Jones' boat", and it blew the dispatcher away. I'd done business with this diver for many years  :D

Tom, this is a link to the Coach Net contract.  https://coach-net.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Premier-Coach_SAMPLE_0619.pdf

As Lou mentioned coverage is provided by Coach Net Motor Club, Inc., which is likely a wholly owned subsidiary of Coach Net and created only to satisfy California licensing laws.  Since they don't reference a separate contract, it's likely the same one.  That was the reason for this post. 

Oops, we were posting at the same time...

Reflecting on the prior "not available in California" discussion, I just looked on Coach-Net's current web site and didn't see any exclusion. I then clicked the Join Now link, and saw that California was in the drop-down list of states. Don't know what would have happened if I'd completed the application.

BTW their web site provides extensive details on their coverage, although you need to click a link or two to get the info. Meanwhile, thanks for the link. I see nothing there that gives me any concern.

Gary, given the provided info, are you still having concerns about signing up with CN? If so, let us know who you eventually go with.

Tom said:
Gary, given the provided info, are you still having concerns about singing up with CN? If so, let us know who you eventually go with.

No more concern.  We'll likely go with either Coach Net or FMCA Safe Ride. 

[quote author=garyb1st]We'll likely go with either Coach Net or FMCA Safe Ride. [/quote]

Both good choices. Let us know if you run into that "not in California" restriction.

FYI Gary, we've had uninterrupted Coachnet coverage here in California since 1995. Several years ago, some were saying it was no longer available in California, but that wasn't the case. I seem to remember that Coachnet had to make some changes to the way they operate, to satisfy some entity here in California, which spawned the rumor that it was no longer available.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
I seem to remember that Coachnet had to make some changes to the way they operate, to satisfy some entity here in California, which spawned the rumor that it was no longer available.

Kev

Just our local officials doing their job to make our lives easier.  ::)

Back
Top Bottom