Newbie Question about Extending Camping Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mshadow

Hi! My wife and I are in the process of buying a 2021 Jayco 38BHDS with the plan of seasonal camping with it - we were going to have it delivered to the campground.  We have to special order it and it would not be available until Nov/December.  Unfortunately this means that most seasonal campgrounds in Indiana are already closed for the season.

So my dumb question - it sucks that we will get our new TT and not be able to use it at all for a few months - are there any other options to use it between October and April (I don't have a tow vehicle currently)?  One campground said that we could use it during the winter (they leave electric on) but we would need to deal with water. I used to own a 3 season cabin which I would use during the winter - it had heat and I would just bring bottled water in

Welcome to the RVForum mshadow, and congratulations on the new RV. You could always join us in the Arizona desert. It's the best winter boondocking in the country.

Kev

Attachments

• 123843FD-AB42-42C5-86FD-B26DE056BA06.jpeg
    123843FD-AB42-42C5-86FD-B26DE056BA06.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 28
Welcome aboard!

Sucks that you have to wait but it sounds like you've answered your own question. You found a park that will let you stay through winter but you'll have to haul water. My question would be about dumping - is there sewer hook up or park bathroom facilities? Even if it does have sewer can you get it delivered with full water tanks to start you off and maybe use the head for a while?

But my biggest curiosity is buying a towable without a tow vehicle. Must be a story here?

And not my business but if I was buying something that expensive and I could not get it until winter I would be looking at delaying purchase/delivery till next spring.

If you will be camping in Indiana winter isn't isn't the best time to start. Make sure the dealer winterizes the water lines. You need to read up on how to keep your black and gray tanks from freezing. Be prepared to use a whole lot of propane and even with the furnace running full time your floors will be freezing. It may not be the fun time you have pictured.

If you had it delivered to a warmer state, such as along the coast of NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX would you have the time to drive there and use it?

You will still have to winterize it when not there unless you go to at least mid Florida or South Texas.  There is always a chance of a really cold norther that will drop the temps down into the low to mid 20's in the other locations I mentioned.

There is also the Phoenix--Tucson--Yuma AZ area as well.

I would be concerned about getting it delivered without having inspected it and done a walk through....

Welcome to the forum  :)

jackiemac said:
I would be concerned about getting it delivered without having inspected it and done a walk through....

Welcome to the forum  :)
Ditto on making sure you have inspected and have a walk through before accepting delivery.  If you can insist on staying in the RV for 1 or better yet 2 days/night at the dealer's lot to be able to check everything out to be sure it works.

New RV's have been reported to have lots of problems and some people have not been able to use their RV for several months after taking delivery.

Back
Top Bottom