Roadtrek 2010 170 Model - Electrical Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikecaalaska

Greetings - I have a 2010 Roadtrek 170 which has operated great for the last 10 years.  On a trip this past week, the electrical system in the coach  died, ie, no power to any of the outlets and other components.  Checked and all fuses are good - I suspect that there is a relay that has gone bad - just do not know where the relay is in order to check it - help!!!

No 12 volt AND no 120 AC when plugged into AC or generator running, is that what you?re saying?

Mike,

I do not know your coach specifically, but most have three electrical systems.
1- 12V for the main engine aka chassis systems.  When this dies, you don't go.
2- 12V for house systems like interior lights, LP heat, water pump.
3- 120V from shore power for the microwave, TV and to charge the house bank.

It sounds like your house bank is dead.  That is changed either from shore power or the main engine via a combiner contactor (relay) that looks like a Ford starter solenoid.  It is not, it is a very different part.   

If you can put up a clearer explaination of what isn't working, we can probably help.

Matt

Matt and all many thanks for the reply.  Yes, the house bank is dead and the only thing that will work is the microwave when I run the generator.  You mention a combiner contactor - is that located under the hood or is it inside the van?  If I can figure out where it is I can replace it

Mike,

Put this into the search bar at Amazon (not a suggested supplier, just convenient) - "solenoid continuous duty".

There will be pictures there.  What you are looking for will look a lot like one of those.  It should also have some control wiring with it.  That information should all be in the coaches documentation.  If you don't have that, maybe you can get it from Roadtrek.

Good Luck,

Matt

Don't jump to quickly to a "replace the relay' conclusion. It's one possibility but not the only one.

Loss of house 12v power can often prevent 120v outlets and appliances from working, depending on hos the RV power systems are designed.  For example, the 120v roof a/c depends on the 12v thermostat and the fridge depends on its 12v-powered circuit boards to control gas or 120v electric operation.

You said "no power", but you didn't mention whether the van was plugged to shore, using genset, or on battery only. And whether running the engine was altered the situation.  Apparently at least the 120v microwave works on the genset, but what about shore power?

Did you check the 120v circuit breakers? Your house battery(s) gets charged from a 120v converter/charger when shore or genset power is active. A tripped breaker would prevent that and soon the battery dies.

Matt - Many thanks and did the Amazon search for what the solenoid looks like. Will check that out as soon as the snow is off the Roadtrek - ahh, life in northern Michigan.

Gary - I have tried to plug it into AC shore power, ran the generator plus checked out all the breakers and fuses for the system. when running the generator, the microwave works - so there is power to that outlet but not too the others. I also checked the thermostat for the heat pump and it does not kick in.

It is plugged into a battery tender for the winter - and starts and runs good - more info as soon as the snow disappears and can get back under the hood - many thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom