Camping in Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TonyL

Just an FYI, if you plan on staying in Oregon, the state parks are levying out of state travellers with a 30% uplift in camp fees. Also, all Army corps of engineers sites along the Columbia River on both sides are day use only.
Somehow, they think this will stop Covid, but 200 people all surfing over labor day at the same day use area is not a risk?

About time!  For as long as we camp hosted OSP were always filled with more Kalifornians than Oregonians.  They come here use and abuse our facilites and leave a mess.  You need to remember Oregon State Parks are financed by fees, a very small portion of their money comes from state taxes.

The Oregon SP out-of-state supplemental charge was discussed recently. This has nowt to do with trying to prevent the spread of COVID. Do a little research  ;)

I live in California, and I'm a big fan of Oregon state parks. I'd gladly pay the higher fees for out of state RVers.

Tom, my comment about Covid was in respect of the closure of corps of engineers sites to overnighters, not the state parks. However, the state parks website does say the increase is to recuperate funds lost from late opening due to Covid, and the reduction in funds provided.
I mearly wanted to advise travellers so that they could be informed before booking. Other campground agencies in Oregon do not increase fees to out of state travellers.
Please don't shoot the messenger.
Regards
Tony L

Tony, as I said, this was discussed here recently.

TonyL said:
...I mearly wanted to advise travellers so that they could be informed before booking.

Wife and I were planning to head up north within the month but I was not aware of the fee increase.  Appreciate the info.

donn said:
About time!  For as long as we camp hosted OSP were always filled with more Kalifornians than Oregonians.  They come here use and abuse our facilites and leave a mess.  You need to remember Oregon State Parks are financed by fees, a very small portion of their money comes from state taxes.
Wasn't my experience, they were no more messy then any campers. And better than some Oregonians.

RRR said:
Zero funds come from the general fund.

Unless something has changed recently OSPs get a small portion of their funds from the state budget.  Been that way for years.  Largest portion comes from camping fees, and some from lottery funds.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjQq42ZztPrAhVB_J4KHQZkCukQFjAQegQIHRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.oregonlegislature.gov%2Flpro%2FPublications%2FBackground-Brief-State-Parks-and-Recreation-2018.pdf&usg=AOvVaw08adGYiDLmtAbNbibNhO8h

In 1998, voters approved Measure 66, which amended the constitution to dedicate 15 percent of Oregon Lottery funds to state parks, beaches, habitat, and watershed protection. The 15 percent is split 50/50 between OPRD and the Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board. In order to maintain lottery funding, Oregon voters had to reauthorize the constitutional dedication of lottery funds by 2014. Measure 76, approved by voters in 2010, accomplished this by amending the Oregon Constitution to continue the dedication of 7.5 percent of net Lottery Fund revenues to OPRD. The agency has not relied on General Fund dollars since the beginning of the 1999-2001 biennium, with the exception of the creation of the Office of Outdoor Recreation in 2017. Oregon?s park system depends almost entirely on Lottery funds and Other Funds; Other Funds revenues come mainly from park user and other fees, transfers of recreational vehicle registrations, and all-terrain vehicle fuels tax revenues.

Vehivle license fees are not considered part of the state budget?

donn said:
Vehivle license fees are not considered part of the state budget?

https://www.oregon.gov/transparency/Pages/revenue.aspx

​A variety of revenue sources fund the operation of our state government. A listing and short description of each fund type is provided below.

General Fund dollars come almost entirely from income taxes paid by individual Oregonians and Oregon businesses. The General Fund is also the most discretionary source of funds that the Governor and Legislature may spend.

Other Funds are the largest single category of revenues the state receives for the state budget. They include money from some taxes ? chiefly those related to highway use, employment, and forests. They also include revenues from state licensing fees and the state's "business-like" incomes, such as tuition, hunting/fishing permits and other fees for services, and many funds related to loans or bonds.

State law (either the state constitution or statutes) dedicates most Other Funds to pay for specific state services or programs. Other Funds do not include money from property taxes. In fact, all property tax revenues remain under the control of local governments.

Federal Funds are revenues that the federal government has legally dedicated to specific programs and services. The federal government limits the state's choices about where and how to spend this money. Some federal dollars come to the state as a fixed amount for a specific program. Most Federal Funds however, are matching money for state expenditures.

If the state removes its General Fund dollars from a matched program, the federal government holds back its matching funds. Federal dollars are available only if the state operates the program with the federal government's approval.

Lottery Funds are another significant source of money the state can use for specific purposes. Lottery Funds go to dedicated purposes such as higher education sports programs, county economic development, the Education Stability Fund, the Parks and Natural Resources Fund, debt service, and the treatment of gambling addiction.

You tell me.

I seem to remember that in the couple of meetings for incoming hosting at OSP they briefly talked about funding.

Love Oregon, we fish it regularly and now plan on moving to Southern Oregon. My son ano one of our daughters have already move there. Oregon politics are eating their own, they have way more problems then the out of state campers. As already stated, this horse has been beat on this board and many more,,,gregg

Before everyone jumps on to this thread with their two cents worth of opinion on funding, I only wanted to point out to those that may not have known about the uplift to out of state visitors. Whether it is right or wrong was not the issue.
Regards
TonyL

[quote author=TonyL]Before everyone jumps on to this thread with their two cents worth of opinion ...[/quote]
Good luck with that on this forum Tony  :) But we appreciate your intent to provide a heads up.

Good Luck, Tony L.  I believe I was the OP on the original fee hike notice and considered it just a heads up for travelers along the Oregon Coast.  (I live in Oregon.)  Seems everything now turns into some sort of political "I'm right, you're wrong" dialogue.  Tired of hearing it on the news and certainly am tired of reading it on this forum.  Chill people.  If you don't like the increased fees, don't come to Oregon.  Simple solution.  Margi

Back
Top Bottom