Has anyone used a Steelman rattle and noise detector to located noised in the RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggermike

I recently bought a FR3 and I have a rattle in the front end that is driving me crazy.  I found a tool that is supposed to locate the noise.  The Steelman noise and rattle detector.  It has 6 small speakers you clip to areas where you think the noise is coming from.  You then turn the dial to each speaker that you have attach the wires to to determine where the loudest rattle is  and hopefully fine the rattle.

sluggermike said:
I recently bought a FR3 and I have a rattle in the front end that is driving me crazy.  I found a tool that is supposed to locate the noise.  The Steelman noise and rattle detector.  It has 6 small speakers you clip to areas where you think the noise is coming from.  You then turn the dial to each speaker that you have attach the wires to to determine where the loudest rattle is  and hopefully fine the rattle.

I suspect it is 6 microphones. Speakers make noise. Microphones listen to noise.

Sounds like a cool device.

Lynx0849 said:
I suspect it is 6 microphones. Speakers make noise. Microphones listen to noise.

Sounds like a cool device.
Actually, a speaker can work both ways. When I was 10 years old I made an intercom from an old record player and 2 speakers.
I know, it's off topic but thought you might like to know that speakers can also listen.

Thanks for setting me straight on microphones and speakers.  I was thinking microphones, but got distracted and wrote speakers. I find it very hard to believe the rattling noise you hear while driving down the road in your class A motor home doesn't bother you enough to try and locate it; on the other hand, maybe someone has figured out a different way to find the noise, and if you have I would like to hear about it. I would also like to point out I wear hearing aids, and find it hard to locate where noise is coming from.

I've used a mechanic's stethoscope to help isolate a noise. Even did it once with the car in motion (wife driving). I can see (hear?) where this kind of device could be handy if you don't have somebody who can hunt around the interior while underway.

Most of our RV rattles were pretty obvious, though. A vibrating slide moving against its rubber seal, dishes/pans in the galley cabinets, loose gear in a desk drawer, that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom