Ignition relay is only getting power to one side so it won?t start.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JuliusTweezer

I have a 1993 Fleetwood Bounder with a Chevy has engine. I have power to all of the four switches except the left side of the ignition relay which powers fuses f6-f12 which all have to do with the ignition. I can get it running if I take a jumper wire from the right side to the relay to the smaller bolt that controls the switch on the same relay. That?s obviously not a fix. The person who had this before had a jumper wire with a fuse running from the top right of the circuit board to the bottom left of the board to power it and allow it to start and run. That same fuse would blow from time to time. So I?ve been trying to figure out what was the original problem which made them jump the board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is really nothing wrong with powering up that kind of relay from hot side ( hot is hot)  as long as the control wire is fused and switched by whatever device controls it, in this case probably the ignition switch.
  Fuse shouldn?t blow even with relay powered up continuously unless fuse is just too small or relay is failing.

If original control wire is still attached to relay, I?d remove it. It could be blowing fuse.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
If jumping across it works, that might suggest a faulty relay.  Or is the relay not getting activated by whatever controls it?  Could it be a faulty ignition switch, not activating the relay?

You can get help from the old Chevy P30 service manual - free at https://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/P30-Chassis-Manual.pdf

The relay is not getting activated by whatever controls it. I put a new relay in it and the same problem existed. Only power going to it, but that?s it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom