Lance Camper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thesameguy

A friend is looking to pick up a pickup to use with a camper, and this randomly popped up on CL today:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/san-leandro-2007-ford-150-with-05-lance/7184327935.html

Does anyone have any opinions on Lance as a brand, or this specific camper based on the pictures? This seems like a solid deal overall, but while I'm pretty good at pickups, I know nothing about campers. Any/all thoughts are appreciated. :)

Lance has been around for a long time and in my opinion is a great brand. I had one a few years ago. The only issue I has was that the front window, which yours does  not have leaked and caused some structural damage which I couldn?t see until after I purchased it. Other than that it was well built.

Yeah, I was happy to see that one didn't have a front window. I'm sure that leads to a bit of claustrophobia up there, but staying dry makes it worth it. ;)

It looks like that particular camper is probably about 20 years old.... does that seem right to you? Maybe even a bit older?

It says it is an 07 truck with an 05 camper. Looks like a great deal that won't last long. I didn't see any obvious signs of water damage in the camper but make sure you check for water stains and any moldy odors. That is my ideal form of camping if my wife wasn't a little claustrophobic.

We're hopefully going to go check it out tomorrow. There is another interested party but the dealer didn't think they were going to come through. My fingers are crossed - she's been looking for six months and coming up empty. I'm kinda worn out on this project and it's not even mine! This exactly right at a great price so I'm really hoping it works out.

IMHO for what it's worth that is too much camper for the truck, I wouldn't drive it across the street. My neighbour has a 9' Okanagan on a similar pickup which is scary.

I don't know anything about them apart from the fact we have seen a load of them, and they are always parked in some great spots!

Roy M said:
IMHO for what it's worth that is too much camper for the truck, I wouldn't drive it across the street. My neighbour has a 9' Okanagan on a similar pickup which is scary.

What do you mean? It's well under the rated capacity for the truck.

Fairly light truck camper, at just over 1600 lbs dry, but what is the capacity of a F150?  What I noticed from the pictures is the way the tie down is set uo, I would not trust it.  Not a reason to not buy, but definitely something to look more closely at.  It appears to be bolted to sheet metal. 

The minimum truck rating is 1700lbs, but there are various option packages to bump that up. I do want to look at the options and see what the build options were... it seems reasonable if not likely it was equipped with some of those ... it does have some cooling options (trans, radiator) so I'm imagining they're part of a more comprehensive towing/hauling package.

The anchors for the camper go through the sheet metal, but they are not anchored to the sheetmetal. I'm not sure they're Torklift, but they're like Torklift.

I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I'm pretty sure that camper has been on that truck for 14 years. :)

Well the best bet would be that camper on an F250 vs. a 150.  Brakes, transmission, cooling suspension all factor in.  The longer the truck is close to the upper limit the more possible breakdowns.  Definitely, if serious, take to a competent mechanic and a weigh station. 

It might be under the maximum capacity for an F-150 (which I doubt) but what is the rating for that particular truck per the yellow sticker? At 1600 lb dry the camper will be north of 2000 loaded.

No jacks, that's a big deal and it looks to be damaged on the rear costner wear a Jack mounts, with some kind of sub par repair. Realistically a newer year truck camper less issues, band aid repairs can be a rabbit hole you don't want to go down,,,gregg

Agreed, I'm trying to steer her that direction.

It was a superb price on a package deal - comparable trucks in town (full size, sub 150k, extended cab, similar year) were fetching $7k-$8k and selling faster than we could go see them. This particular truck has *far* lower mileage than any we'd previously seen, which was very attractive. She ended up paying $8900 and some change for the combo, which means at most she's out $2k for a sub-par camper that's already there. That's a great deal, IMO, and should serve to give her an introduction without breaking the bank... once she figures out what she really needs, she can go shopping for something nicer.

That said, the damage in that corner is really interesting. There's no corresponding damage inside, which makes me wonder if it's just a bad repair to a cosmetic problem. There's a very reputable RV body repair place in town, so when she's ready to look at jacks we'll run it over there and see what they think. I figure worst case we've got a carpenter, a welder, and a mechanic in our midst and we can figure out something good enough for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom