Can I replace existing AC with different kind if others are Coleman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odog1240

I have three coleman mach 8 ac unit on top my 2007 American Tradition Motorhome.  Two of the units were replaced about one year ago with the same models but newer.  Today I realized the 3rd old unit apparently kicked the bucket.  I was wondering since those are so hard to get right now could I replace that last one with a different make?  In other words if I can just find something in stock somewhere will that work?

I really like Coleman because they are easier to clean the condenser on them.

Ducted A/C systems: I do not know what models can replace colemans directly or with an adapt-a-kit. Sorry

Non-ducted local (controls on air grid) Colemans.. Any unit with like controls will work just fine.

I don't know about accessing a new Coleman ac.  But recently I changed campers and it has a Coleman ducted unit on it. My last one had a ducted Dometic ac unit, which is probably easier to get worked on. But I am totally blown away at how much quieter the Coleman unit is versus the Dometic, both ducted.  A quick thought on it, since I do not know your location, can you get by with the two other units as summer is winding down until you can replace your unit with a similar model, even though there may be some slight differences in the setup?

This will give you like units and you can probably find repair persons with access for parts down the road and may work out better with similar units. I will also say that the thermostat units for the Colemans are superior to the sensitive Dometic control thermostat that operates both the heat and ac units all in one.

I had a long conversation with Dometic as the Tampa show this year about their horrible thermostat units that if you do not touch the faces just right goes bonkers. They told me they would send me a new one. And this is Jan. Just this thurs. I finally received the new thermostat. Of course the unit is GONE and I will not have to deal with that problem either..

Yes, maybe.  You need an a/c unit that works with your thermostat, but the upper end a/c units often have configuration switches on its controller board to accommodate different tstat types.  Other than that, each a/c is an independent zone and doesn't interact with the others.

Back
Top Bottom