Stuff to see in VT.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I have a cousin coming up from Arkansas to Ndw England and was wondering if there are any sites worth driving to see in VT. I?ve lived in NH all my life but never spent any time in VT other than just driving through that beautiful state. I think one time we did stop at a quarry and I?m not sure where that was. It may have been north of Lebanon NH right on the border.
Can anyone help me out with some ideas?

We lived in VT for 10 years, # in Norwich, VT (across the river from Hanover,NH) and the 7 just north of Stowe.
One place I usually send people is to Quechee, both to see the Quechee Gorge and to go to Simon Pearce. Simon Pearce is a Glass Blowing shop where you can watch from the store above or on the working floor. The also have a pottery studio, Be sure to visit the hydro power generator. They have restaurant that looks over the Dam. To get to Simon Pearce you cross a very nice covered bridge,  https://www.simonpearce.com/quechee

From there i would drive the road in front of Simon Pearce to Woodstock and visit the  Billings farm and the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park. Unfortunately I believe the Mansion is currently closed due to Covid-19.

Vermont has so many beautiful back road drives, but then so does New Hampshire.

I've only been to Vermont once, several years back, but it was autumn colors. We really enjoyed driving around the Lake Champlain area, driving back roads, even state highways, to see the colors, and stopping by several covered bridges. And there's a visitor's center in Burlington (can't remember the name) that was interesting.

The name of the quarry was Rock of Ages. Many of the headstones in my area come from there. The only problem right  now is that it?s closed because of the virus.

I've only been to Vermont once about 50 years ago. The only thing I remember is the cable car to the top of Jay Peak. It's near the Canadian border.

I love Burlington. It?s a great pedestrian city with numerous shops and restaurants, along with a great park overlooking the lake. Very easy to spend a day there.

When we were in the Burlington area a few years ago we stumbled on the Shelburne Museum  a little south of town. It is HUGE and you can easily spend a full day there. They have everything from a fully restored Lake steamship and lighthouse (over a mile from the water!) to a train station with engine and cars, a covered bridge, art collections, antique wagons and carriages and most anything ?Americana? that you can think of. 

As you said the drive through the Green Mountains is very pretty, Montpelier is a quaint little town, with the State House, and a few nice mom and pop restaurants along the main street.  Burlington is a more modern city, but does offer some nice areas, along with a ferry across Lake Champlain to NY State, where you could drive over to the Lake Placid Olympic Site or down the lake to Fort Tyconderoga where there is a ferry back to VT.

Ed

Where in New Hampshire are you? If you're just looking for day trips, it might matter if you are north or south in NH. I lived in Vermont for 30 years, now live on the west side of Lake Champlain and look out my window at Vermont every day.
If you come from the northern regions, then I'd recommend the lake region/ Northeast Kingdom area. Lots of beauty up there. St. Johnsbury  is worth a stop, Fairbanks museum is impressive. Jay Peak is now a year round resort but I can't speak to their covid restrictions.
If you're crossing in the Lebanon/Dartmouth region then I'd suggest a ride over to Bethel Vt and a gap ride  to Rochester/Hancock and then another gap to Middlebury along Rt 125.Stop at The Rochester Cafe for lunch or breakfast, you will not regret it.  Just a spectacular ride through the Green Mountain National Forest and quintessential small town New England. Middlebury is 30 miles south of Burlington and the aforementioned, and highly recommended Shelburne Museum is about 25 miles north.
Crossing down south I'm less familiar with, but I'd guess that you can't go wrong by motoring over to Rt. 100 and heading North. Woodstock, Quechee Gorge/Simon Pierce are all along that route.

Hey Rene -

King Arthur Baking Co in Norwich is fun for gifts and lunch
Quechee Gorge
The Mill at Simon Pearce
Worthy Burger in Woodstock is a must
Walking and shopping in Woodstock is awesome, my kid lives on Central street you'll know by her front porch Halloween decorations
Ben & Jerry's factory in Waterbury
Burlington is a great place to shop & eat and the waterfront on Lake Champlain is beautiful
The Stone Soup restaurant is a great eatery, my daughter worked there for yrs
A drive over the Mountain Rd in Stowe is great this time of year Rt 108 up to Smugglers Notch
Stowe Mt Tram is a lot of fun, views at the top are awesome
Cider Mill in Waterbury Center is cool

I lived in Burlington for 20 yrs, these are some of my favorite places.

Hope your well

Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom