Colorado Weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

This is a weather caution for northern Colorado:

Although Denver set an all time September record yesterday for high temp (101?), and it's in the upper 90s today, Monday night into Tuesday morning a cold front is expected that would go from the 92? expected tomorrow down to a low of 31? with Tuesday's high expected to be 37? with rain and possible snow along the front range, not to mention the high country. And Tuesday night's low is expected to be in the upper 20s. Some areas have a chance of enough snow to break tree branches and such.

I should have mentioned that the smoke in the metro area is bad right now, though there wasn't much yesterday. The trees just 100 yds away are rather hazy from the smoke.

Yep, we?re in for a possible record temperature swing.... maybe it will help with some of our fires

Dvan said:
Yep, we?re in for a possible record temperature swing.... maybe it will help with some of our fires

I hope it does help with the fires.
Today, out on the plains the sky had been full of smoke. Sun disappeared long before it set, today.

I grew up there, in Boulder. Although everyone knows that in Colorado if you dont like the weather wait a few minutes...that extreme change overnight has got to be some kind of record. I really dont recall that much change that quickly, but then, it's been awhile.  ::)

I really dont recall that much change that quickly, but then, it's been awhile.
It's rare but it happens. They say a 60? drop in the high, from upper 90s Monday to mid 30s for a high on Tuesday.

The Cameron Peak fire (west of Ft. Collins) has spread into the northern part of Rocky Mountain National Park, and the rangers have closed Trail Ridge Road, Fall River road, and some others, along with some camping areas and such. And Glen Haven is under an evacuation watch.

Besides the weather I mentioned before, it's now showing snow for all day Tuesday in Denver, accumulation 3" or so, with snow covering much of the state -- and a winter weather advisory was issued.

Things will be a little rough along I-80.  Wind gusting to 45.. I expect to see a huge exodus of campers coming out of the mountains today.  My 5?er is winterized.  This from the NWS:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Salt Lake City UT
401 AM MDT Mon Sep 7 2020

?....WYZ021-072215-
/O.EXA.KSLC.WW.Y.0016.200908T0600Z-200909T0000Z/
Southwest Wyoming-
Including the city of Evanston
401 AM MDT Mon Sep 7 2020

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
6 PM MDT TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations 1 to 4 inches.
  The greatest accumulations are expected along the north benches
  of the Uinta Mountains, and Divide areas along Interstate 80.
  Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.

* WHERE...Southwest Wyoming.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 6 PM MDT Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Expect winter conditions due to snow, blowing snow,
  and reduced visibilities. Travelers along Interstate 80 corridor
  should anticipate winter weather driving conditions, especially
  east of Evanston over the Divide areas. Campers, hikers and
  others in this area should be prepared for very cold
  temperatures, wind chills in the 20s, and accumulating snow.

For winter road conditions from the Utah Department of
Transportation, visit
http://www.udottraffic.utah.gov/roadweatherforecast.aspx or dial

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

For graphical depictions of the snowfall forecast, including
Official NWS Forecast, High End Amount, and Low End Amount, visit
weather.gov/slc/winter.

For winter road conditions from the Wyoming Department of
Transportation, visit http://www.wyoroad.info or dial 511....?

Between the fires up here (Jackson/Yellowstone areas), and a little cool weather approaching ....the RV’ers will look like “rats leaving a sinking ship”!  Hopefully, everyone can escape safely!  memtb

Sweetsurrender said:
I grew up there, in Boulder. Although everyone knows that in Colorado if you dont like the weather wait a few minutes...that extreme change overnight has got to be some kind of record. I really dont recall that much change that quickly, but then, it's been awhile.  ::)

Last year, in October we had a 70 degree drop. It happens fairly often, actually. (maybe not QUITE that extreme, but close)
I remember several such events over the year with such changes. One such change occurred in mid day. The noon temp was around 75, and by rush hour, it was close to 20 with a blizzard that left traffic in a snarl.

Brings back fond memories of living in the Rocky Mountains. Always kept blankets, candles, food, shovel, and ax in the trunk or truck bed just in case it would be needed. But now, living in Virginia, it's usually T shirt weather into November. 

Data at: 1320 UTC 08 Sep 2020
?...KEVW 081306Z AUTO 07025G38KT 1/2SM SN FZFG BKN010 OVC015 M02/M04 A3004 RMK AO2 PK WND 08039/1254 P0000 T10171039

KEVW 081120Z 0812/0912 07023G42KT P6SM VCSH BKN030 WS020/07055KT
  FM081600 07025G41KT P6SM VCSH BKN050
  FM082300 07015G30KT P6SM VCSH SCT050 BKN080...?

Local airport, 0720 this morning.  Wind from 070 degrees, 23 gusts 38 knots, visibility 1/2 statute mile, snow, freezing fog, temperature minus 2C.  SW Wyoming along I-80.

No worries, temperature forecast for 80 this weekend  ;)

But, according to the WYDOT website, a lot of I-80 is closed this morning. Winter conditions and extreme blow over risk.

Right, Larry.  SW WY, I-80.

Just took this from the WYDOT site.  Not a good day on I-80.

?... I80: Multiple crashes, All lanes blocked WESTBOUND near Patrick Draw at milepost 140, Be prepared to stop. I80: Crash, All lanes blocked WESTBOUND between Evanston and Lyman at milepost 27, Be prepared to stop, expect delays. I80: Multiple stalled semi trucks, all lanes blocked EASTBOUND between Rock Springs and Patrick Draw at milepost 119, Be prepared to stop, expect delays. I80: Crash, all lanes blocked EASTBOUND near Green River at milepost 90, Be prepared to stop, expect delays....?

My daughter posted the forecast for Cheyenne Wyo.  and ask the question
Who requested H### freezing over for September.

Oh well Her choice to live there I will admit it got Chilly here but no danger of freezing.
I did put on a jacket when I went out today however.

I just wish a little bit of that Colorado cool could get down here to Bryan.  The weather man says it probably won't quite make it.

The snow stopped just north of us in Cortez but we got a lot of rain and so far today it?s only 44, after 96 on Monday. Crazy weather.

Wendy said:
The snow stopped just north of us in Cortez but we got a lot of rain and so far today it?s only 44, after 96 on Monday. Crazy weather.

We're all the way up to 38? now, after a low (here at the house) of 33?. Our trees are slowly getting more upright, with the (heavy wet) snow melting off the leaves and branches. Precip seems to have stopped now, too.

Back
Top Bottom