Frameless /useless window replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetsurrender

One of my biggest peeves about our camper is the windows. They are called frameless, and they open only about 3 inches at the bottom by tilting the glass out. This does not allow air to pass thru them, and so a nice outdoor breeze never enters the interior of the camper. These are on all of the Jayco units I've seen, and I suppose other brands as well. I dont know why they are used, but my guess is they save a ton of money at the manufacturer. They are really not useful at all.

I am wondering if anyone here has replaced these on their units. There are regular sliding windows for sale all over the place, but they appear to be to replace windows with frames to begin with. Any experience or advice about replacing RV windows would be appreciated.  Is it a not so difficult or overly expensive project, or should I just grin and bear it, and do a better job with choosing our next RV?

Thank you!! 

The frame-type windows just clamp to the cutout in the wall, so if you get the right size they slip right in. The frameless ones aren't much different; they just lack an exterior bezel.  Both are removed or attached by screws from the inside. Not a big deal, especially if you have a helper at a couple points where an extra pair of hands is needful.

Here's a YouTube video showing removal of a frameless. There are also videos on framed RV windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nTeWXtzCOM

Thanks for the link 8Muddypaws. That helps.
Gary, thanks for the info and video. I just need to find out if one can be replaced with the other, I guess. Man, that's a lot of detail work!! Probably not to those who are mechanically minded, but a lot to learn for those like me!!

Anyway, I really appreciate it. Thanks.

I've had all but one of my windows out twice.  You'll be surprised at how easy it is.  A 90 degree gearbox on a powered screwdriver makes it even easier.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
As I tried to explain, it's just a hole cut in the sidewall.  The hole is pretty much independent of the type of window used to fill it.

After reading this I youtube window replacement I was surprised that it's so easy to do.

On my new to me TT I posted that the dinette window is a little small and would have preferred a larger window to gaze at the scenery while having a cup of coffee in the morning.  Now that I've viewed a couple of videos I will order a larger window and replace the existing. Thx

8Muddypaws said:
I've had all but one of my windows out twice.  You'll be surprised at how easy it is.  A 90 degree gearbox on a powered screwdriver makes it even easier.

Why did you remove them and was there any leaking after you reinstalled them?  I have one I'd like to remove so I can replace the mechanism that opens the vent window at the bottom of the emergency exit window.  Your 06 Bounder must be very similar to our Pace Arrow.  I've got a right angle drill.  Will that work or does a 90 degree gearbox work better?  Another issue I've had with most of the screws in the Pace is breakage when I try to remove them.  Do you prep them some way before removing. 

Both times it was to have the dual pane windows rebuilt.  A little bead of clear caulk was applied to the seals before putting the outer bezel on.  Never had a leak.

Peninsula Glass in Vancouver, WA makes custom size RV windows. I contacted them about replacing the frameless windows in our 2019 Ditchstar. Price was all bad, but they don't have a corner radius that matches the one in our windows so I decided to pass on changing.

The measurements of replacing windows has more detail than I originally realized. Not to a crazy degree, but not as simple as height and width either. I found this out when we lost an egress window while driving (see this thread) back in July. I decided to file an insurance claim, since I have a $0 deductible on glass and I didn't want to risk messing up the replacement glass, ordering the wrong size, or not properly sealing by doing the work myself. I called about a dozen suppliers and found 36x22 window options (my general measurement), which I later passed on to the glass shop who was assigned the insurance work. The glass guy searched his suppliers too, and eventually had to come to my house and get precise measurements of inner opening, outer opening, wall thickness, corner radius, window brand and model, correct trim piece, etc. Last week (after 9 weeks) the shop finally contacted me to advise they found a factory replacement that would arrive in 2.5 more weeks. The backup plan was for the shop to make a custom piece of glass to fit the opening, but it would not have opened or closed... so I'm glad he found a replacement. I think COVID shipping delays were part of the issue, but it sure has taken a long time for something I figured was a simple repair.

All that to say, if you decide to replace the windows yourself -- make sure you are aware of all the specific measurements and components.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom