Seven baby ducks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I hung up my keys 8 years ago and I have been living in a beautiful RV park near Orlando. I have the best site in the park located right on a nice lagoon that has turtles, gators, fish and ducks. There are several muscovy ducks that have been living here longer than me. Every spring time one of the females lays a batch of eggs and hatches them close to summer. Every year they would hatch a dozen or so eggs and every day I would see them parading around the park in a conga line however there is a resident red-shouldered hawk that was picking off one per day. So usually there were no survivors.

So in June I didn't think too much about a clutch of 7 babies that were born about June 1st. I took a few shots but the weird thing is that the hawk must have died because all seven babies are still living. Every morning I go to the grocery store and get a hot fresh hoagie roll and sit and watch the ducks and the lagoon while rocking in my new swing. The ducks spend a large part of their lives in my back yard. There is a path to the lagoon that they use every day.

There are 43 shots here in this slide show. They are in chronological order. The first shot has no ducks in it, it is an atmosphere shots so you can get the idea of where my RV, car, swing and table are located. When it rains the babies all gather under my picnic table. The rain doesn't roll off of babies backs, only the adults backs remain dry.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hrWQXY41Xe1kvCKb7

Thanks Tom. Every time I run across a family of ducks while out walking, I usually don't have a camera or phone with me. Ditto when I see a family around our docks and, by the time I run up the ramp to the house, they're gone.

Tom said:
Thanks Tom. Every time run across a family of ducks while out walking, I usually don't have a camera or phone with me. Ditto when I see a family around our docks and, by the time I run up the ramp to the house, they're gone.
I have it made here. Every morning I sit on my swing and usually they come to me. But I never go anywhere without my phone. I have my phone in a wallet that contains my drivers license and two credit cards. I cannot go anywhere without it.

I consciously don't carry a phone when I'm working on the docks or one of the boats. They don't float very well if accidentally dropped in the water.

Tom said:
I consciously don't carry a phone when I'm working on the docks or one of the boats. They don't float very well if accidentally dropped in the water.
I hear you Tom. I am just ultra careful when I am near water with my phone. My phone saved my life once so I consider it mandatory for me to always have a phone near me.

Nice photos, Tom.  It's amazing how quickly those little ducks grew into large ducks!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Nice photos, Tom.  It's amazing how quickly those little ducks grew into large ducks!

ArdraF
Thank you Larry and Ardra. Yes, most birds grow up and mature in a big hurry. Winter is coming and they gotta be fit enough to fly south.

Reminds me of the song "Seven Little Girls"  :)

Tom said:
Reminds me of the song "Seven Little Girls"  :)
Hugging and a kissin' with Fred. I wanted to name them after the seven dwarfs but they move around too much to ever get a handle on their personalities. It rained this afternoon and turned my yard into a lake. The ducks are all out there putting around on Lake Seilerbird. ;D

SeilerBird said:
Thank you Larry and Ardra. Yes, most birds grow up and mature in a big hurry. Winter is coming and they gotta be fit enough to fly south.

Aren?t they already south?

Rene T said:
Aren?t they already south?
These ducks usually summer in Canada and winter in Florida. But they like the park so much they never bother to migrate so they are here all year round. But they still molt.

Nice shots as usual.  We had a family of 8 ducks in early July and now only 3 remain. We call them Manny, Moe and Jack.  I  never have a camera when the  swim by in sync.  If I do catch them I'll post here!

Keep that phone with you always, Tom.  I remember when it saved your life.  I try to make sure Tom never leaves the house in his electric wheelchair without his phone.  It's definitely a lifeline.

I hear you on the need to have your cell phone close by.

I am just ultra careful when I am near water with my phone.
Chris keeps an eye on me (out the window) when I'm working around the docks and boats. OTOH she knows that, when I take off in one of the boats, I'm wearing an auto-inflate life vest and carry a cell phone and VHF radio.

One time we were both in a new jet boat when it ran out of gas (fuel gauge issue). We were close to the levy, and had zero cell signal because we were in the "shadow" of the levy. I was able to contact the BOATUS dispatcher in Southern California using VHF radio (via a local tower on Mount Diablo); They dispatched a local rescue boat, giving us the option of bringing gas, towing us to the gas dock at the marina, or towing us home.

We've answered calls for help from various friends and neighbors stuck out on the water, and headed out to tow them home. They were fortunate to have cell coverage, but most don't have on-the-water rescue service coverage.

Back
Top Bottom