rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 5/8" Water Inlet  (Read 344 times)

Velociraptor

• ---
5/8" Water Inlet
« on: September 07, 2020, 06:15:39 PM »
Has anybody seen an actual solid chrome or brass water inlet for a 5/8" hose?  All I have found so far is this "feaux chromed" plastic. 

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-183-029-14-Pressure-Reducing-Chrome/dp/B002OUPFOU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Shurflo+Flush+Mount&qid=1599520091&sr=8-3

Josh
2020 Chevy 5500 - 19,500 GVWR / 34,000 GCWR
Custom 44 ft Gooseneck Under Construction - 21,000 GVWR

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
Re: 5/8" Water Inlet
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 10:06:43 PM »
Since most RV internal piping is 1/2" ID, you'll never get the full flow from a 5/8" hose anyway.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 10:29:10 PM »
Are you sure it's plastic?  This description of the same model says it's stainless steel.

https://www.camperid.com/shurflo/chrome-stainless-steel-city-flush-water-fill1-2-mpt-brass-check-valve-mpn-183-029-14.html

If it's not, a quick Google search will turn up several other solid metal inlets.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:36:13 PM by Lou Schneider »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 09:52:40 AM »
The hose fitting or the wall plate or both? Some of them have faux chrome wall plates even though the hose fitting itself is brass or some alloy.

The one you showed includes a built-in pressure regulator, which is typically intended solely for RVs. Standard hose inlets without a regulator are available from many non-RV sources, e.g. marine, plumbing suppliers, etc.

https://www.go2marine.com/sea-dog-fresh-water-inlet-chrome-plated
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Velociraptor

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 12:05:26 AM »
Dutch,
I am piping it myself and using 3/4" so I can get full flow.

Lou,
Interesting.  Several other sites and reviews say it is "faux chrome" plastic.  I ordered one as this is the best option I have found so far.  Will report back what it actually is.

Gary,
I should have more clearly said 5/8" inlet with hopefully a 3/4" internal brass piping connection with a chrome or aluminum recessed fascia.  I saw the same one you posted, and several others for boats, but none are recessed like this one so they will be sticking out past the edge of the trailer body where I am sure to hit it on something.  I got the same issue if I use any type of standard plumbing fitting.  I considered welding up an aluminum box to recess it in the wall myself but I am already doing it with the sewer and hate to do it again.

Josh

Josh

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 05:04:38 AM »
Dutch,

Like Dutch said and I agree, you wont be gaining anything because your entire RV used 1/2 pipe so the flow will be restricted. The pressure will still be what the cg pressure is. Youd have to repipe your entire RV to get better flow or volume.
Keep in mind, if you plan on using your on board water pump, make sure the one you order has a built in check valve. Im not sure if the one Gary listed has a check valve. It may just depend on the threaded plug to stop back flow.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:17:35 AM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 09:38:55 AM »
RV water systems need a check valve at the city inlet, but one can be inserted behind the inlet if the inlet itself has none built-in.

Most anything labeled "RV" is going to have a 1/2" pipe thread connection, since that's the industry standard for RV interior water lines.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:47:12 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »
Dutch,

I'm not sure where you plan to use the hoped for full flow that 3/4" PEX is capable of, but be aware that the EPA limits most residential faucets and accessories to a 2.2 GPM max, and showerheads to 2.5 GPM max. "WaterSense" rated fixtures are even lower at 1.5 and 2 GPM. RV park water supplies often supply relatively low pressure, especially at peak usage times. We frequently augment the park pressure for showers by turning on our onboard pump drawing water from our onboard tank. Many of the RV site spigots that I've seen are plumbed with 1/2" piping for single head spigots, and 3/4" for dual head spigots, but the spigots themselves are typically 1/2" max opening for gate valves, less for hose bib faucets.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:30:33 PM by NY_Dutch »
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »
About the most demand you will see in an RV is one wide-open faucet in addition to the shower or maybe a washer running at the same time. That's a demand of 4-5 gallons/minute (GPM), i.e. 1.5-2.0 gpm for a faucet andanother 2.5-3.0 gpm for a shower or washer.

1/2"tube or pipe can deliver about 7 gpm at very low pressures (under 20 psi) or 14 gpm at typical medium pressures (20-100 psi). A typical RV water system with a water pump or "city" water pressure runs at 40-60 psi static but drops to around 20-25 psi with any faucet wide open.  Thus the 1/2" plumbing is entirely adequate to deliver the necessary water, even under peak loads.

The reasons owners are sometimes unhappy with water flow typically centers around low-gpm pressure regulators, low-flow faucets and shower heads, small diameter shower hoses, and often-clogged city inlet and faucet screens.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Velociraptor

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 08:19:16 PM »
Just so everybody is clear....I am custom building the entire trailer myself.  I can put in 2 pipe if I want all the way to the faucets haha.

My main concern is not RV parks.  Ill mainly be on oilfield locations where I can use as much water as I can handle.  In addition my water pump is capable of 10 gpm at 55 psi.

From a usage point of view I have a potential for 10 gpm or more.  Shower, washer, kitchen sink, and the rear of the trailer is a laboratory with potential near constant usage in the sink and other equipment.

I ended up ordering the recessed inlet Lou and I both found.  I can confirm it is faux chrome plastic and I was not impressed with the construction.

I also ordered one of the non-recessed inlets Gary found and I am going with it.  I built a custom recessed box to house it and the water tank vent in.  The inlet does reduce to 1/2 but I am going to immediately change it back to 3/4.  The small ID reduction should not affect flow at all.

Josh