12v system not working in coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbarnhill

Hello
I have 95 winnebago brave. When the camper is plugged into 110v everything works great but when you unplug nothing works in the coach I just replaced batteries but didn't help
Thanks

Other smarter ones will be along, but I would check for an inline fuse coming off the positive battery cable that runs to the box in the RV. 

I'm not familiar with your Brave but most Winnie Class As have a 12V on-off switch somewhere, mine is located by the door.

If that's not fruitful, download your wiring diagrams from Winnebago. We have a link in our Resources thread at the very top of this board.

Clearly your house batteries aren't physically connected to the 12v system. There are only a few things that could cause that:

1. The coach Battery Disconnect switch is in the Off or Store position. Change it to On or Use.  It is usually located near the entry door.

2. A battery cable connection is loose or corroded.

3. An inline fuse in the battery positive cable is blown

4. The battery disconnect relay (solenoid) is inoperative for some reason. This is the device actually operated by the battery disconnect switch in #1 above. It could have failed, or could have a bad connection or broken wire (#2 above).

Hello
I looked for the battery switch by the door and can't find it.
Where would the solenoid be located

According to your owners manual pg 2-12, it's on your dashboard, top left, bottom switch of a set of 3.  "Radio power", "Aux Start Mom", and "Aux Batt Off." 

I found the switch but the lights worked as long as I held the switch down but the  oach lights still wont work

Tbarnhill said:
I found the switch but the lights worked as long as I held the switch down but the  oach lights still wont work

Then you're holding the "Aux Start Momentary" that emiddleb mentioned.

Hello sir
I have cleaned all connections and pushed the aux bat switched and sti no lights to coach

Did you change the engine battery, or the house batteries? 
Maybe you missed a wire when you hooked the house batteries back up?  Did the lights work off the old batteries, even for a few minutes?

The battery relay (soleniod) could have badly pitted internal contacts especially for that age of the coach. They are usually found near the house batteries and possibly mounted on the frame. They look like a starter solenoid. You can measure the voltage on both sides of it. Good luck.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Clearly your house batteries aren't physically connected to the 12v system. There are only a few things that could cause that:

1. The coach Battery Disconnect switch is in the Off or Store position. Change it to On or Use.  It is usually located near the entry door.

2. A battery cable connection is loose or corroded.

3. An inline fuse in the battery positive cable is blown

4. The battery disconnect relay (solenoid) is inoperative for some reason. This is the device actually operated by the battery disconnect switch in #1 above. It could have failed, or could have a bad connection or broken wire (#2 above).

5.  The batteries are installed incorrectly--possibly reverse polarity. 

Tbarnhill said:
Can you bypass the solenoid to see if it's bad? And if so will the lights work then ?
Yes, you can bypass the solenoid by connecting the 2 large battery cables together with a jumper wire.

Back
Top Bottom