Nikola and GM team up to make 900 HP Electric Supertruck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But totally useless for RVers.  What is the range going to be?  What are the plans to recharge them?  How about the infastructure to charge all these electric vehicles?  Heck CA has had rolling blackouts in the summer for years because their electric grid is old and totally inadequate for the customers.  Add a bunch of electric vehicles to make the elite feel good and then what?

I read that Republic waste services (big National) has ordered thousands of electric trash trucks.
Seems a great thing for inner city use. Not many miles per day, lots of just stopped and can charge overnight. No idling diesels either.

donn said:
But totally useless for RVers.  What is the range going to be?  What are the plans to recharge them?  How about the infastructure to charge all these electric vehicles?  Heck CA has had rolling blackouts in the summer for years because their electric grid is old and totally inadequate for the customers.  Add a bunch of electric vehicles to make the elite feel good and then what?
We were on I-10 passing by Palm Springs a couple weeks ago, in record setting temps. (118 degrees) On the radio, they were talking about mandatory blackouts (there were many) and politicians and power company execs were begging people to conserve power. I get it. At the same time, we could see that at least 50% of the wind turbines in the area (probably more, there are hundreds of them) weren't turning, despite the wind that was blowing.

I don't know how much electricity wind turbines add to the grid (probably not much) but I do know those things are expensive, and they're all over the place. We're paying .42 cents a KWH during off-peak hours, and .51 cents a KWH during peak usage - the highest rates in the country. Of course those rates were approved by PUCs, yet the utility companies those PUCs supposedly oversee can't even keep the gear we've already paid for running - when we need it most. End of rant.

Kev

Just do what any environmentally conscious EV and hybrid owners in California do - buy a gasoline generator.  If it weren't true it'd be funny...

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

donn said:

Couldn?t tell you if it?s useless for RVers. Nobody has tested one yet.

I imagine they will use the public charging network as they will have standard CCS and J1772 ports.

No idea on US Grid issues. It?s not a problem here and the utilities are not predicting any issues dealing with the expected additional load on the grid.

I heard an Autoline Detroit program and listed to Trevor Milton talk about Nikola's concept.  It's program # 513 if anyone wants to watch it on YouTube.  At that time he said they were about to make an announcement of who was building the trucks for them.  He's shot out of a cannon much like Elon Musk.  Their concept is interesting.  He talked about a series of truck stop type charging stations spaced out all the way across the US for use by their trucks only.  Big Plans!!!!  It'll be interesting to watch!  How they are financing the whole thing unique to say the least.

BigLarry said:
I heard an Autoline Detroit program and listed to Trevor Milton talk about Nikola's concept.  It's program # 513 if anyone wants to watch it on YouTube.  At that time he said they were about to make an announcement of who was building the trucks for them.  He's shot out of a cannon much like Elon Musk.  Their concept is interesting.  He talked about a series of truck stop type charging stations spaced out all the way across the US for use by their trucks only.  Big Plans!!!!  It'll be interesting to watch!  How they are financing the whole thing unique to say the least.

I?ll check it out. Thanks.

Mark_K5LXP said:
Just do what any environmentally conscious EV and hybrid owners in California do - buy a gasoline generator.  If it weren't true it'd be funny...

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Can?t say I have ever heard of anyone do that anywhere. Is that common there.

Most don?t buy EV?s for environmental reasons. Most buy for performance, convenience and low operating expenses. That and they are a blast to drive.

Status symbol or playtoy I would believe.  Economy is a stretch, there are no cheap EV's and it requires a fairly specific use model to have the fuel cost mitigate total cost of ownership.  If you're already buying luxury cars then transitioning to an EV is seamless but for working stiffs like me they're untouchable.  If I really, really wanted one I could find a low end car coming off of lease but that's still about the same as a comparably equipped gas car, and it's still not a car you can take trips in.  When I was driving an EV full time there was the "family" gas car we took trips in, the EV was strictly commuting/city/errand vehicle.  Perfectly good for that but even with the advances in EV's today they cannot supplant a gas car, so in my mind, even as a semi-EV advocate, an EV makes for an impractical only car unless you live your entire life within a single charge from home.  To spend luxury car prices for a vehicle that can't do everything an economy car can, diminishes any operating cost advantage.  There is no doubt in my mind that both technically and culturally the EV will be a significant percentage of personal transportation as they become less expensive and more capable.  Not really there yet for Joe Sixpack but it's interesting to watch the advancement of the art and how it's playing out across the industry, and society. 

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

And for anyone who thinks the free EV charging stations will remain free once EV vehicles become common, I have a bridge I'd like to sell ya.

Mark_K5LXP said:
Status symbol or playtoy I would believe.  Economy is a stretch, there are no cheap EV's and it requires a fairly specific use model to have the fuel cost mitigate total cost of ownership.  If you're already buying luxury cars then transitioning to an EV is seamless but for working stiffs like me they're untouchable.  If I really, really wanted one I could find a low end car coming off of lease but that's still about the same as a comparably equipped gas car, and it's still not a car you can take trips in.  When I was driving an EV full time there was the "family" gas car we took trips in, the EV was strictly commuting/city/errand vehicle.  Perfectly good for that but even with the advances in EV's today they cannot supplant a gas car, so in my mind, even as a semi-EV advocate, an EV makes for an impractical only car unless you live your entire life within a single charge from home.  To spend luxury car prices for a vehicle that can't do everything an economy car can, diminishes any operating cost advantage.  There is no doubt in my mind that both technically and culturally the EV will be a significant percentage of personal transportation as they become less expensive and more capable.  Not really there yet for Joe Sixpack but it's interesting to watch the advancement of the art and how it's playing out across the industry, and society. 

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I would agree with some of your post. I disagree with ?not a car you can take trips in?.  We and countless others do exactly that. Everyone has a different definition of road trip but for us 600 to 700 km road trips are normal. I?m not sure what you feel would stop that.  But regardless.  Lots of regular people can afford 47000 dollars for a high performance sports sedan. I agree with you that the 20,000 dollar Corolla replacement is probably 5 years away. But I?m guessing that the average car sale price is higher than that.

TheBar said:
And for anyone who thinks the free EV charging stations will remain free once EV vehicles become common, I have a bridge I'd like to sell ya.

I can?t speak to that. Free charging is rare where we are unless it?s a new station under testing Or promo period, usually a few months. Level 2 stations sometimes are. Usually loss leaders by restaurants or wineries etc. Curious though. Where are you where the stations are free?  Is it common? 

John and Angela said:
Usually loss leaders by restaurants or wineries etc.
If you think your free breakfast at the hotel doesn't "really" cost you anything thing think again. It is bundled into the price per night in any major chain. Same with EV charging. It may be a loss leader at first but the "loss" will eventually be bundled into the price per night once all hotels have "free" charging. Wanna buy a bridge?

TheBar said:
If you think your free breakfast at the hotel doesn't "really" cost you anything thing think again. It is bundled into the price per night in any major chain. Same with EV charging. It may be a loss leader at first but the "loss" will eventually be bundled into the price per night once all hotels have "free" charging. Wanna buy a bridge?

Of course it costs. Meh. Who cares. As long as they provide the service I?ll patronize the hotel. I love a good breakfast...and a full charge in the morning. I am under no illusions it?s free. Not sure why you would think that.

Dude. You don?t like EV?s. Nothing wrong with that. But don?t make chit up. EV?s work fine for many people in many situations. And others not.

donn said:

Well the hybrid unit 600 miles using both batteries and hydrogen fuel cells.
That makes it useful IF there is a way to re-charge overnight (I assume the fuel cells) but where you gonna get the Hydrogen?  That's the big question I have.

Oh and Hydrogen fueled...  From the world of "Science Fiction"  The TV show Knight Rider starring David Hasselhoff  KITT entered an alternative fuel race. Seems Science fictional KITT (The Knight Industries Two Thousand) was Hydrogen powered..

John and Angela said:
Of course it costs. Meh. Who cares.

Dude. You don?t like EV?s. Nothing wrong with that. But don?t make chit up. EV?s work fine for many people in many situations. And others not.
I'm still trying to figure out what "chit" I made up when you agreed?

TheBar said:
I'm still trying to figure out what "chit" I made up when you agreed?

Sooo, I had to go back and see if I was getting posters mixed up...and I was.  I thought you had mentioned something to the effect of " it's still not a car you can take trips in".  You didn't.  It was another poster.  My sincere apologies for jumping the gun.  It was just such a bizarre statement that I jumped in way to quick without reading up thread a bit. 

But no excuses.  Again, my apologies. 

John

My puzzle is if I want to go 400 miles in a day and the range (accounting for terrain and cargo in the car) is less than 400, I have to stop and wait for a charge. I am ignorant of charge times but it seems it might take hours not minutes like at a gas station.
So, if my trip is 1600 miles (MA to Chicago) then I either have to have 4 very long days, or make it 5 days with an extra overnight?

Back
Top Bottom