travel route from Arches National Park to Capitol Reef National Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClickHill

Can anyone tell me what route you took from Arches to Capitol Reef National Park, and what the routes are like?
I know going from Yellowstone to Salt Lake was filled with switchback roads and open grazing land for cattle. I just wanted to know if we had more of that in store as we travel to our next park.
I am in charge of travel routes for my husband and I try to make it as "easy" as possible for him. I don't always succeed :-\.
Thank you for any and all help.

We do Arches north on 491 to I70, west to 24, stay on 24 to Capitol Reef. Easy peasy. Don?t forget to have pie at Capitol Reef CARE.

Thank you for your reply. I like to know that my route is safe and correct before going. I check my truck maps and it said it was good, but hearing from an actual traveler is even better.

Wendy said:
We do Arches north on 491 to I70, west to 24, stay on 24 to Capitol Reef. Easy peasy. Don?t forget to have pie at Capitol Reef CARE.

Where are you heading after that?  Highway 12 is a steep road fyi..

"Don?t forget to have pie at Capitol Reef CARE" - is that the Capitol Reef Cafe in Torrey?

The Pie is in the park. It?s awesome! Sorry I used the NPS abbreviation for Capital Reef (CARE). Google ?capital reef pie? and you?ll see plenty of info.

We has a great time in Capitol Reef and the drive to Bryce was easy and enjoyable.
I wanted to have pie at Capitol Reef, I always want to have pie, but I have celiacs and unfortunately I can only look at the pie.
Hopefully the drive to Zion will be just as nice. It looks like 9 is a little hairy, but we will see. Has anyone traveled 9 to the park?

ClickHill said:
Hopefully the drive to Zion will be just as nice. It looks like 9 is a little hairy, but we will see. Has anyone traveled 9 to the park?

Are you coming in from I-15? If so it easy peasy to the park.

If you're coming in from the east, contact the park and see what their current policy is in regards to the tunnel. The last time I went through (38' MH + Ford Ranger toad), several years ago, there was a total overall length limit (MH+toad, which I was just under) and they closed the tunnel so you could drive down the center line. The side of the tunnel is too low to stay in your lane. Again, check with the park as things change from year to year.

I didn't have any problems with the switchbacks. Just go slow and you'll be fine.
If you're over length, just unhook and have D drive the toad through.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Are you coming in from I-15? If so it easy peasy to the park.

If you're coming in from the east, contact the park and see what their current policy is in regards to the tunnel. The last time I went through (38' MH + Ford Ranger toad), several years ago, there was a total overall length limit (MH+toad, which I was just under) and they closed the tunnel so you could drive down the center line. The side of the tunnel is too low to stay in your lane. Again, check with the park as things change from year to year.

I didn't have any problems with the switchbacks. Just go slow and you'll be fine.
If you're over length, just unhook and have D drive the toad through.

Coming into Zion through the east entrance has a height restriction of 11' 4" if I'm not mistaken.  I have not been through there yet, but planning for a trip next year.  My Momentum height is 13' 5" so it's a no go for sure.

xrated said:
Coming into Zion through the east entrance has a height restriction of 11' 4" if I'm not mistaken.  I have not been through there yet, but planning for a trip next year.  My Momentum height is 13' 5" so it's a no go for sure.
Read AStravelers post and click on the link. If you're over the 11' 4" restriction then you have to get a tunnel permit. You can still use the tunnel, you just have to get the permit.

The reason for this is that the tunnel has a curved roof. The max height if you stay in you lane is the 11' 4". If you get the permit, they close the tunnel to other traffic and you drive down the center line. No problem with a 13' 5" RV. Lots of us have done it many times. I've done it myself 4 times with a 13' 6" MH.

Even with a permit we are prohibited from using the tunnel because were over 40 in length.
Prohibited Vehicles[/size]Vehicles over 13 feet 1 inch tall, Semi-trucks, vehicles carrying hazardous materials, vehicles weighing more than 50,000 pounds, single vehicles over 40 feet long, combined vehicles over 50 feet long. All Bicycles. Pedestrians.

We spend quite a bit of time in Southern Utah, in the Bryce and Zion area. If you are thinking of making camp and exploring the parks from there, you will find some real nice RV camping with full hookups about 30 minutes from Zion and about 45 minutes or so from Bryce in Kanab and Orderville Utah. We enjoyed Cliffside RV park in Orderville, and often stay at the RV park inside the Bestfriends Sanctuary in Kanab. That had some serious restrictions this summer though, so it may or may not be available right now.

Its all beautiful country, and getting nice and cool now. It sounds like a fun trip!!

Happy trails.

I am going to have to Agree with Sweet Surrender. 

Bryce Amphitheater coming out of the Navajo Loop thru Wall Street...huffin and puffin...Whew! 

Bryce National Park is one of my all time Favorite Places my feet and eyes have ever been, and I have been across the Globe. Switzerland, China, Holland, Normandy Beach with my Father., etc... 

Probably seeing my 10 year old Grand Daughter enjoying it with us made the view even Sweeter

We took Scenic Highway 12 from Cannonville, UT dusty KOA to Moab dusty KOA. 

Scenic 12 is a Beautiful Sweet Route, Felt pretty safe in my 32 ft Class C pulling a 4300 LB jeep with about 200 LB of gear in it.  There was one 8% downgrade and it topped out at Sunrise at 9600ft. 

Transmission braking, Lower Gears, most of the downhill so never heated up the brakes to the Rig. 

The V10 was Screaming 5000 RPM-ish getting to the top of some of the Hills.  It made it though!

Want to go back as we bypassed Zion due to planning and dates we could spend away from Texas.  Love the entire Staircase all the way to the bottom at the Grand Canyon. 

Impressive Grand Escalante Huge Area for sure!

https://www.blm.gov/documents/utah/public-room/map/grand-staircase-escalante-national-monument

JD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom