rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: travel route from Arches National Park to Capitol Reef National Park  (Read 387 times)

ClickHill

• ---
Can anyone tell me what route you took from Arches to Capitol Reef National Park, and what the routes are like?
I know going from Yellowstone to Salt Lake was filled with switchback roads and open grazing land for cattle. I just wanted to know if we had more of that in store as we travel to our next park.
I am in charge of travel routes for my husband and I try to make it as "easy" as possible for him. I don't always succeed :-\.
Thank you for any and all help.
D & D
2015 Winnebago Itasca Merdian
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: travel route from Arches National Park to Capitol Reef National Park
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 08:22:52 PM »
We do Arches north on 491 to I70, west to 24, stay on 24 to Capitol Reef. Easy peasy. Donít forget to have pie at Capitol Reef CARE.
Wendy and Mike
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I like to know that my route is safe and correct before going. I check my truck maps and it said it was good, but hearing from an actual traveler is even better.
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 05:58:10 PM »
We do Arches north on 491 to I70, west to 24, stay on 24 to Capitol Reef. Easy peasy. Donít forget to have pie at Capitol Reef CARE.

Where are you heading after that?  Highway 12 is a steep road fyi..
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 03:49:40 PM »
After Capitol Reef we are headed to Bryce and then Zion.
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 03:36:53 AM »
After Capitol Reef we are headed to Bryce and then Zion.
So you will drive highway 12. It is a beautiful road but a few steep climbs. Have fun!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back in the UK til who knows....

Greg126

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 07:19:12 AM »
"Donít forget to have pie at Capitol Reef CARE" - is that the Capitol Reef Cafe in Torrey?

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 12:11:27 PM »
The Pie is in the park. Itís awesome! Sorry I used the NPS abbreviation for Capital Reef (CARE). Google ďcapital reef pieĒ and youíll see plenty of info.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:13:46 PM by Wendy »
Wendy and Mike
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »
We has a great time in Capitol Reef and the drive to Bryce was easy and enjoyable.
I wanted to have pie at Capitol Reef, I always want to have pie, but I have celiacs and unfortunately I can only look at the pie.
Hopefully the drive to Zion will be just as nice. It looks like 9 is a little hairy, but we will see. Has anyone traveled 9 to the park?
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 04:56:59 PM »
Hopefully the drive to Zion will be just as nice. It looks like 9 is a little hairy, but we will see. Has anyone traveled 9 to the park?

Are you coming in from I-15? If so it easy peasy to the park.

If you're coming in from the east, contact the park and see what their current policy is in regards to the tunnel. The last time I went through (38' MH + Ford Ranger toad), several years ago, there was a total overall length limit (MH+toad, which I was just under) and they closed the tunnel so you could drive down the center line. The side of the tunnel is too low to stay in your lane. Again, check with the park as things change from year to year.

I didn't have any problems with the switchbacks. Just go slow and you'll be fine.
If you're over length, just unhook and have D drive the toad through.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 06:02:05 PM »
Here is a link to the NPS website with everything you need to know about Rv's and the tunnel: https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/the-zion-mount-carmel-tunnel.htm
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G
2020 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Diesel
650 watts residential solar panels--400AH Lithium batteries

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 07:09:01 PM »
This is all great information. Thank you everyone for your help.
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

xrated

• ---
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 09:03:20 AM »
Are you coming in from I-15? If so it easy peasy to the park.

If you're coming in from the east, contact the park and see what their current policy is in regards to the tunnel. The last time I went through (38' MH + Ford Ranger toad), several years ago, there was a total overall length limit (MH+toad, which I was just under) and they closed the tunnel so you could drive down the center line. The side of the tunnel is too low to stay in your lane. Again, check with the park as things change from year to year.

I didn't have any problems with the switchbacks. Just go slow and you'll be fine.
If you're over length, just unhook and have D drive the toad through.

Coming into Zion through the east entrance has a height restriction of 11' 4" if I'm not mistaken.  I have not been through there yet, but planning for a trip next year.  My Momentum height is 13' 5" so it's a no go for sure.
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2018 Grand Design Momentum 394M
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 03:41:01 PM »
Coming into Zion through the east entrance has a height restriction of 11' 4" if I'm not mistaken.  I have not been through there yet, but planning for a trip next year.  My Momentum height is 13' 5" so it's a no go for sure.
Read AStravelers post and click on the link. If you're over the 11' 4" restriction then you have to get a tunnel permit. You can still use the tunnel, you just have to get the permit.

The reason for this is that the tunnel has a curved roof. The max height if you stay in you lane is the 11' 4". If you get the permit, they close the tunnel to other traffic and you drive down the center line. No problem with a 13' 5" RV. Lots of us have done it many times. I've done it myself 4 times with a 13' 6" MH.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 4
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 12:47:00 PM »
Even with a permit we are prohibited from using the tunnel because were over 40 in length.
Prohibited Vehicles[/size]Vehicles over 13 feet 1 inch tall, Semi-trucks, vehicles carrying hazardous materials, vehicles weighing more than 50,000 pounds, single vehicles over 40 feet long, combined vehicles over 50 feet long. All Bicycles. Pedestrians.

[/color]
Ken & Sheila
2019 Dutch Star -4369, HWH Active Air
2019 Jeep Trailhawk Elite, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Sweetsurrender

• ---
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 12:49:05 PM »
We spend quite a bit of time in Southern Utah, in the Bryce and Zion area. If you are thinking of making camp and exploring the parks from there, you will find some real nice RV camping with full hookups about 30 minutes from Zion and about 45 minutes or so from Bryce in Kanab and Orderville Utah. We enjoyed Cliffside RV park in Orderville, and often stay at the RV park inside the Bestfriends Sanctuary in Kanab. That had some serious restrictions this summer though, so it may or may not be available right now.

Its all beautiful country, and getting nice and cool now. It sounds like a fun trip!!

Happy trails.
2019  29ft. Jayco Greyhawk
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Home is Henderson, Nevada
2 dogs navigating on the road