Roof Dicor Material & Sealer Caulk at Seams (Joints /Connection Points)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheBar said:
The edge of my fiberglass front cap was causing a constant pool of water from rain and A/C condensate. I applied a liberal amount of caulking on the roof side of the seam about 2 inches wide and smoothed it down with a body filler spreader. After it dried I put 1 inch of the 4 inch wide Eternabond over the cap edge and 3 inches on the roof. Its been 6 years and still firmly attached. It still pools some but 3 inches away from that seam where it won't cause problems. I wouldn't use sandpaper on the Eternabond. It doesn't need painting but paint will stick to it if clean without roughing it up.

Bar,

Drinking Your Kool-Aid, partner...I might lightly scuff with a green pad....green pad like one would use to do dishes...around 320 grit equivalent...LITE SCUFF, just for the touch up paint to bite and grab.

The current state of "the ditch" up on my roof.....is lumpy because of sloppy caulking at W factory.

I am or will need to ensure the target area of the tape landing area is SMOOTH. I will probably acetone and actually use a 220 grit on the no show area on top.  Clean Lots of Prep is key to any quality repair.  Right now joint is a little rough where the workers knew a crappy factory job would not be scrutinized...I IMAGINE Management wanted it installed in 5 minutes too to paint that clear picture in your mind of my professionally installed Front End Cap.  ;)

If I need to create the slopE then I am not sure what "putty" maybe even I might go Body Plastic REAL THIN just to get the smooth I want for Target zone.  The Tape will be the "STAR" of the show once applied.

I bought this 2017 MH out of Detroit, Motor City...Aug 13, 2019.......That day, I vividly remember, before I gave the man my check I was standing on the roof thinking "That looks like a cheap ____ set up".  I will let you fill in the blank.  Fast forward 13 months....Folks, Check your seams! I already got a seep...wood soaking that AC juice up like a sponge!

John

I considered using body putty along my seam. I've used it on lots of places most people would never think of. But body putty doesn't work well on Corvettes because of the fiberglass body flex. Since RVs flex so much I went with caulking to slope off my seam. Trapped and protected under the Eternabond I figure it may stay flexible forever. That's why I went with 4" wide tape on the seam leaving 1" of tape on both sides of the 2" of caulk. If the caulk ever loses its adhesion the Eternabond will keep it trapped in place. Don't worry about Eternabond losing its adhesion. Once you touch the glue you need acetone to get it off.

Bar,

Yes..Still sippin your Kool Aid, makes sense.

I was worried about Bondo / "Body plastic" Chipping and it is porous un-primed.

You used the GEOCEL caulking also up in the seam area under the tape?

I did buy the 4" wide roll but I only ordered one tube of the caulk for starters because I only was going to skim coat the basement cut out portals.

I may think about getting another tube for good luck if you put the geocel caulk in the seam under the taped area? 

I am very concerned about a clap or touch of a big flapping piece of Nuclear Proof, Real Sticky, tape if I was to try to one piece it. 

Once I peel the protection off that 8 ft too hard to handle that length, sagging etc 

I have the Slide topper framing to deal with too right in the area where I want that really tight band aid look rolled down 1" on vertical wall.  I hope to get the water to cascades off the tape to roadway, not dribbling down the wall to the ground.  This slides of the cap are not a issue anyway. 

I am going to going to attack it like this.....

Vertical Edge, termination points you can see from the ground are the key to the clean look anyway.

1. Blue tape it across the crown of the roof to keep me straight.

2.  I am going to work a 6"-8" piece starting from where I want it to terminate on left then the right side. Smaller piece will help me start off clean looking and square looking.  I am going for that Band aid look.

Once I got the small ones applied over the edge and onto the flat of the roof apply approx 24" strips lapping them slightly on top following the blue line of marker tape to keep the project square. 

Nothing is going to show up there anyway. 

The Moon and the Stars would have to Perfectly align to successfully align and apply a one shot application of a single piece.  Smaller pieces will also prevent stretch...... I want to lay it on the roof and SQUISH anyway. 

JD

I put the Eternabond on before I discovered Geocel. I used butyl rubber caulking under the Eternabond. A lot of people like butyl caulkiing but I didn't like it. Stringy and cracked the first year where it was exposed to the sun. Probably any high  quality caulk would be ok under the Eternabond since it will never be exposed to the sun or weather. When you apply the Eternabond just peel the backing back just a few inches at at a time as you lay it down. If the backing doesn't come off easy it may be old and hard to work with. Make sure you don't stretch the Eternabond or you'll have wavy sides. After the whole strip is down go back and squish it down with a roller. Sounds like you have a plan. I wish you the best of luck with it.

TheBar said:
I put the Eternabond on before I discovered Geocel. I used butyl rubber caulking under the Eternabond. A lot of people like butyl caulkiing but I didn't like it. Stringy and cracked the first year where it was exposed to the sun. Probably any high  quality caulk would be ok under the Eternabond since it will never be exposed to the sun or weather. When you apply the Eternabond just peel the backing back just a few inches at at a time as you lay it down. If the backing doesn't come off easy it may be old and hard to work with. Make sure you don't stretch the Eternabond or you'll have wavy sides. After the whole strip is down go back and squish it down with a roller. Sounds like you have a plan. I wish you the best of luck with it.

I was contemplating rolling it up and doing as you spoke of.  And Steam Roller-ing it out? 

It is going to be a game time decision, for sure....  :)

Waiting on Mr. Postman.  I will try to remember to snap a few pics and come back and finish this post up.

Good ideas from the board. 

This is why I love RV Forum!

I have to tip the Glass to you, The Bar, Cheers!  & to everyone who throws out a opinion, I love reading the comments. 

Getting Schooled and the Entertainment value are tops for the money I pay to subscribe.  $0.00.

I didn't retire, I quit working.  So I am self inflicted poor. I need to make every penny count. 

Saved $1000s on the Purchase of RV using strategies I developed off other peoples pain and Tips.  This is a Great site.  Lot's of great people that will offer Solutions and Opinions to hopefully cure what ails you.

As for being poor, Never been more happy in my whole Life!  ;D  :))

YOLO!

On to the next adventure!

JD

I put Eternabond on my roof at most joints.  No problems.  I did it as preventive care.

RVRAC said:
I put Eternabond on my roof at most joints.  No problems.  I did it as preventive care.

As of Today, I am a huge fan of Eterna Bond. Check out my post on DIY Roof Repairs, with pics.

JD

As for being poor, Never been more happy in my whole Life!

Its like I say numerous times to folks.  Does a fish in water know its wet?  ;) They know no difference. Poor is relative. We are way above the worlds poverty level when you look around the world, even with taped together campers.  :))

For all of my stuff, I use Ultima (rebranded Geocel) for windows and roofs. They offer it in clear, white, black and I think Almond.

cerd said:
For all of my stuff, I use Ultima (rebranded Geocel) for windows and roofs. They offer it in clear, white, black and I think Almond.

Thanks Cerd. 

I need to look into a tube of Black for the sides of my Rig. All my skim coated perimeter caulking has crow footed (Cracked) and needs another skim tight coat. 

I am going to spend $20 in Blue Tape (Both side of lines) but I am going to pull that tape tight so when I peel it the caulk lines will be clean and not smeared. 

The big old Booger Hook is not the finishing tool I am desiring for that finished look I am after on the Vertical Walls Seams on the RVportal cut outs and other seams. 

I finished out the Roof with a post lots of pics in "The General" section here on this same time line. 

I only have the easy sides to do as I am working top down.

Cerd? Where are you getting the black?  I can only find this.. assuming it is black.  Do not see in product description

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultima-Roof-Sealant/181160281

JD

I buy it at Menards, but if you only have Home Depot or Lowe's nearby, OSI Quad is pretty similar.

Found some black Geocel on the Big River

https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-GC28103-Flex-Flexible-Black/dp/B003VARIII/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Geocel+RV+caulk+black&qid=1601546886&sr=8-1

:)) thought I was limited to clear.  Just placed order.

Thanks, Cerd!

JD

I saw that Dicor 501LSW Self-Leveling Lap Sealant is great for sealing your RV's roof seams and penetrations. It sticks like crazy and flows into all the nooks and crannies. Beware: If you get it on yourself you have to mechanically remove it, if you get it on your clothes, you'll never get it off. Get plenty: I used 1-2 tubes per roof vent and 2-3 per full-width seam, so a full dozen was just the right amount for a 31' RV's three roof vents, two sanitary vents, two seams, and other various roof penetrations.

Promotional link removed..

Inspecting my roof is done annually and usually in the spring. All I look for is minor cracking in the existing caulk. If I find a minor crack, then I clean it the best I can and then I apply the new caulk right over the old. I?ve had this RV for about 7 years and I may have gone through 2 tubes of caulk in total. Using 12 tubes on a 31? RV in my opinion is a total waste of money and a lot of unnecessary work IMHO. But then if you have money to burn, go for it. Last year I changed from using the Dicor to using Eternabond tape which I should be good for at least 10 years. I will still do a annual inspection.

I use Loctite Roofing and Flashing Sealant in black all the time for boat work. You can surely use it on your rv.  Its purchased at most big box stores. Loctite bought out PL.  It skin dries nicely in short order and cures and very flexible.

I use Loctite Roofing and Flashing Sealant in black all the time for boat work. You can surely use it on your rv.

The Loctite Roofing and Flashing Sealant is a polyurethane sealant - is it compatible with EPDM or TPO roof membranes?  I checked the Tech Data sheet for it but it says nothing about use on EPDM, Yea or Nay.    I also see that it is a non-sag formula as opposed to self-leveling, so less convenient for use on a flat roof. Plus it only comes in black, so probably not desirable for most RVs.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The Loctite Roofing and Flashing Sealant is a polyurethane sealant - is it compatible with EPDM or TPO roof membranes?  I checked the Tech Data sheet for it but it says nothing about use on EPDM, Yea or Nay.    I also see that it is a non-sag formula as opposed to self-leveling, so less convenient for use on a flat roof. Plus it only comes in black, so probably not desirable for most RVs.

I did not look at all the replies. But on this page the issue was about black caulk and taping a line for a clean outcome. So yes its completely fitting for the job.
Mr. X says
I need to look into a tube of Black for the sides of my Rig. All my skim coated perimeter caulking has crow footed (Cracked) and needs another skim tight coat. 

I am going to spend $20 in Blue Tape (Both side of lines) but I am going to pull that tape tight so when I peel it the caulk lines will be clean and not smeared. 

Right, it is surely suitable for the task described in the original message.    I just wanted to point out the differences vs Dicor so as to avoid someone reading the later replies and thinking it's a general substitute for the Dicor 501.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Right, it is surely suitable for the task described in the original message.    I just wanted to point out the differences vs Dicor so as to avoid someone reading the later replies and thinking it's a general substitute for the Dicor 501.

Believe this man. 

There are not too many men that walk the top side of this ball of dirt that I would Blindly follow RVn tips from. 

I would make an eXception though with Gary.  I would Throw the Dice and take a chance if I had to pick one to either go Oil Well Drilling to Pitching a Tent at the Lake. 

The proof is the level of detail, not opinion.  His actions are proof.

When I tell you I will track you down and Leave a Pint on your bones.  I will be there.  Unless they make dust out of you and keep you home.  Ask my Oil Well Drilling Buddy out in Sherwood Texas, I know we have bonds back to 16 August 1985 for sure... Dude blocked the world but was dumb enough to buy a house.  I found him alive Sunday. Dead ones are easy to find. Glad I had those Ribs in my Hands.  That German Sheppard and Pit sat around waiting thank goodness.  I made a new friend his wife as we spoke for 3 hours.

I had been attacked by a Doxson, Wiener Dog in the 3rd grade and that little juicy thing made a pin cushion out of my lower leg. Kick him off.  Tried for bout 5 min. Never succeeded.  A third Grader saved by a third grader. Now you know why..5 min ;D

Let is be known when we got to Pick one to go to war with, I Got Dibbs on Gary #1.  Ha Ha.

Luckily for all you other 2nd Place Finishers (Oil Field Mindset) you might get a top 50 Pick and can Have Issac-1 (Swamp Person- Ike my Buddy out in La..The other one)  and, Henry Fate.  I would love to download his mind.  I know what is keeping me up 22 hours a day with mine.  The inside lining and the recesses....LOL

Shoooot, I was getting a bit bored and BAM, who walks in the Door, Well actually Smoking the Tires but Ex-Calif, Ohio...Dan...Really...LOL. Had a California Woman on his arm so OK.  I am buying it.  Your Sailing adventures...Why are you not coming to the Board as "Mr. California.  The Real One"  is my only question Dan.

Up and Comer RVrs... Dude was in search of a Lemon that had been sitting for 30 years.  My Kind of Man!  I need a dial number in case I break down on the side of the Highway, Just so you can eye ball my problem and give me 5 things to try. 

Float across a body of water 100 yards with Sharks in it...Nope..I think John C on the Winnebago Board was just as Crazy. Not going to Happen.  I hear the Jaws Sound Track in my mind right now.

Now Gary's 70,000 plus homers will take a while to be knocked off but eventually some body Like ..The Old ex-California guy will show up in a MG with some Hot Smoking woman by his side, you just never Know.  15,000 vs 70,000 commitment. I had Jose Cuervo Ghost Write some of these 28 page Manifestos rants I have therapied out of these broken hands of mine. Too much Cell phone?  Nope! Got them for Decorations mainly.. but got all 10 so pretty good to get the basics done. 

Actions.  If we could all see what is swaying my mind...Results...Details, minutia.  All just Book Theory Until you Press the Action button and hope is reality for some. Flying Helicopters.  You can write books all day about flying a death trap but Grabbing that Stick and Doing it. That is A whole new meaning to Bull Riding at the PRA coming out a gate for sure.  4ft.. Anybody can take that once.  Just watch out for the Hooves and the Horns.  Anything that could be a potential 100 MPH mix in a air crash .00001% and count me out.  If I got to...OK I will go, but let's get this safely over with as fast as possible, please.    ;D

I am trying to be unconnected from my I.P. Everything, while I am still mobile and can move around.  I personally love Simple Radio App.  KKYX San Antonio, Country Classics.  Brainwasher..Not for me!  Made me mad too since 2009 I think having instant IP propaganda.  Watch Social Dilemma for what it is..Phones are bad was message I got.  My Shovel did not have Global Broadcast.  My Kid, 40 sreaming about what every 40 year old chubby kids scream about and I changed the topic to Jeopardy.. TSK American History for $1.  Explain Watergate.  As I was hearing what the first click on the internet was saying...Really.  Have you seen what kind of X is out here?  LOL  Their lies the problem.  I seen the 10 Chinese workers in a Driving Rain Storm 150 ft walking the iron.  I said it out loud.  We can not keep up with this.  That was our 2006 Trip to Bejing.  When My Dad Came over to Korea and Bank Rolled a Trip to Wow.  Interesting Place.  I know what it feels like to be illeterate.  I will leave that mis-spelled for goofing around purposes only.   

I think this will be like when the rich carved the Ma Bell telephone things up in the 80s.  I don't and won't accept people doing my thinking.  That is why I live where I live.  ShXt holes, yea...My boots were there looking at it.  Haiti..yada, yada in the last decade, so...Globe...actually a small place when I just happened to be digging some ditches with Uncle Sugar somewhere on the Globe, where eventually had enough time to see things.  Interlaken Switzerland, Germany Konigsee, aint googling it, (Check out Lake- Paradise) but Close to Berchestgarden and The Eagles Nest. Zuptpige in Germany, Evil man, owned great property... well not sure how he came about it.....? Got my Hunches. 

RV Forum, Yep it is Gilligan's Island.  Thurston and Lovie are hear...I kind of Got my eye ball on Larry out there off the Exit to Rocky Mountain National Park...Have not quite figured that out..Gliders, Air Planes...Guy is just Simple Oil Field Trash so yea...He is a refined me.  I slapped 30 years of camping with Uncle Sugar so I am Oil Field Trash + Mean... I only do what I feel is correct.  Sorry?  Nope.  Normally I avoid all contact with... Fill in the blank.

Hope all is Well.  I come back time to time...to see what you are teaching. 

Much Love and Respect to all the descent People out there. The others...Well get you sorted out ASAP and start doing good.  Quit Talking about it.  You got a Ditch to dig.

Attachments

• 20201118_043654.jpg
    20201118_043654.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201114_122511.jpg
    20201114_122511.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom