California>>> ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlebear

Hi.  :)
I'm new to the forum.
I'm in CA on the eastern side of the Sierra (Mono County).
I need to get myself and 16 yr. old dog out of this smoke!
I'm quite familiar with the western U.S. but i've only had my camper ('97 24 ft. Tioga) for a little more than a year and so i'm not familiar with the RV "scene" outside of this area.
Does anyone who knows the western U.S. have suggestions re; a good (safe & out of the smoke & not too hot) place to go which is not too far from Mono County? (Mono County is just north of Bishop, CA) on 395.
Thank you.

I think you are going to have a tough time getting out of the smoke if you don't want to go far. We are socked in with it as well with no place to go. I could go north if I was prepared to deal with rain.

We're staying at our summer location in Wyoming and delaying our return to the CA Central Valley as long as we can. Friends here in WY who live in Kernville (between HWY 395 and Bakersfield) are doing the same thing.

Thank you all. (do i really have to verify for every post?!)
Yes east for sure. But where is the question.
I can't go too far.
New Mexico or Utah is my limit.
My air conditioner does not work.
Hotter than upper 70's or low 80's is my temp limit (if i have shade that is).
It's still summer though.
Yikes

Don't bother with coming North, no rain but plenty of smoke and I understand it goes right to the Canadian border.
Regards
TonyL

do i really have to verify for every post?

Sorry, one of our anti-spam measures. It will disappear after you make a few more posts.

Maybe check in tonight on the chat feature located in the top row. I think there are a couple of folks in Utah or may have left there recently that may be able to help you with a location.  And the higher elevation is cooler if you can venture into Colorado

The smoke and ash is in the jet stream and is affecting the northern east coast like New England. The sun is not as clear as it was 2 weeks ago. Some people are saying they can smell it but I can?t prove it.
Oh, welcome to the forum. 

Again thank you ALL.
I won't respond to every post until i don't have to keep verifying myself.
Yes. The smoke is everywhere. It has even reached Europe.
But there's smoke and then there's SMOKE!
I am about 16 miles east from a raging fire on the western side of the Sierra.
We're on alert here.
So it's the heavy smoke but also there is a chance that the embers fly and in a way that will mean i have to get out fast due to actual fire in my community.

Take a look at https://www.weather.gov/safety/airquality-aqindex. This map might give you some ideas. Here in the Midwest we see smoke from the west coast fires, but it is so high in the atmosphere it doesn?t affect health. It does give us red sunrises and sunsets, and totally screws up any star gazing though.

UTTransplant said:
Take a look at https://www.weather.gov/safety/airquality-aqindex. This map might give you some ideas. Here in the Midwest we see smoke from the west coast fires, but it is so high in the atmosphere it doesn?t affect health. It does give us red sunrises and sunsets, and totally screws up any star gazing though.
Thank you.
I know where the air quality is better.
I'm trying to find a safe area (BLM land, Campground, RV park) where i can go.
A recommendation from someone who knows via first hand where a woman and dog can find some refuge for at least a month if not more.

The mountains east of Bishop and the Owens Valley are keeping most of the low level smoke out of Nevada.  I'm in Pahrump and the only noticible effect is at sunset when the sun goes down through the smoke to the west.  Pahrump has 40,000 people with big box stores, supermarkets, etc.  We also have a dozen or so RV parks that start at around $450 a month including the Escapees Pair-A-Dice co-op park if you're an Escapees member (applications are available at the office if you're not).  ;)  Preferred RV Resort has shade trees and a swimming pool and accepts Passport America for up to 14 days at $20 a night.

The only disadvantage right now is the temperature, highs have been around 100 for the past week but are slowly cooling down.  Nighttime temperatures go down into the 60s and 70s, making it comfortable for sleeping.

Goldfield, NV is another possibility.  It's an old mining town of about 800 people due east of Bishop on US 95 and is also out of most of the smoke.  It has at least one RV park.  Same for Tonopah a bit further north on US 95.  Highs are in both towns are in the mid 80s with overnight lows in the 40s. 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Pahrump sounds like a good idea.  You may want to book something soon as if lots of people moving out spots may be scarce.

Also look at Campendium for potential camping areas if you don't want an RV park. I suggest making sure you can check weather and fire situation daily if you are still in a danger zone.

I heard today that spots in Grand Teton NP Wyoming were being waited on from 4am! Not sure of there's another reason but that sounds very unusual.

Wishing you the best. Stay safe.

a 1994 RV?  Just make sure that baby is up for an adventure, it could get costly to head out and break down.  Maybe at minimum have your mechanic give it a look over, tires, oil etc.  Just sayin.  Be safe  :))

Kevin Means said:
An air conditioner can help a lot - with cooling and filtering. Do you know what's wrong with yours? Maybe we can help with that.

Kev

I don't know what's wrong with it but i also don't have the $ to fix it at the moment.
But thank you for your offer to help.  :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom