California>>> ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SpencerPJ said:
a 1994 RV?  Just make sure that baby is up for an adventure, it could get costly to head out and break down.  Maybe at minimum have your mechanic give it a look over, tires, oil etc.  Just sayin.  Be safe  :))

'97 RV in fairly good shape.
I'm getting 2 new tires in about an hour. 
Thank God i just got them checked! Both are bad.

jackiemac said:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Pahrump sounds like a good idea.  You may want to book something soon as if lots of people moving out spots may be scarce.

Also look at Campendium for potential camping areas if you don't want an RV park. I suggest making sure you can check weather and fire situation daily if you are still in a danger zone.

I heard today that spots in Grand Teton NP Wyoming were being waited on from 4am! Not sure of there's another reason but that sounds very unusual.

Wishing you the best. Stay safe.

It's 99 degrees in Pahrump right now!
Re; Campendium .... Thank You!
Oh yes. I'm tracking it! Our town is on alert now and i have alert text.

Lou Schneider said:
The mountains east of Bishop and the Owens Valley are keeping most of the low level smoke out of Nevada. 

Thanks for that, Lou.  We're headed back to the Rock Creek area, north of Bishop, for work in about a week.  We'll be managing the campgrounds in that area next year, and want to be there for the closing this year to learn the campgrounds and water systems.  Can't wait to start "smoking" again.
Yes, I realize the campgrounds are technically closed right now, but that just means no campers.  The closing I'm referring to is draining water systems, taking down signs, and locking gates and bathrooms for the winter.

littlebear said:
'97 RV in fairly good shape.
I'm getting 2 new tires in about an hour. 
Thank God i just got them checked! Both are bad.

What's steps were taken to check them?
Whoever checked them did they look at the manufacturers date and what are the dates of the remaining tires?

Rene T said:
What's steps were taken to check them?
Whoever checked them did they look at the manufacturers date and what are the dates of the remaining tires?

Sensed i had a tire issue. Took RV to one place. They told me and showed me which tire it was. Made appt. Had an uneasy feeling about them. Put off appt. Spontaneously yesterday took RV to a different tire guy i'd heard good things about. He showed me exactly what was wrong with the tires, inspected the others and found one that was even worse & soon to "blow"! He inspected every tire, checked the dates, showed me each one, showed me & explained why the bad ones were bad. He took it in after hours early evening yesterday and gave me a break on labor. I am so grateful that i followed my instinct / intuition re; the first place and re; going to the second guy.

littlebear said:
He inspected every tire, checked the dates, showed me each one, showed me & explained why the bad ones were bad. He took it in after hours early evening yesterday and gave me a break on labor. I am so grateful that i followed my instinct / intuition re; the first place and re; going to the second guy.

Do you know the dates of the remaining tires?

Rene, she said the guy inspected all the tires and showed her the dates. RIF

ChasA said:
Rene, she said the guy inspected all the tires and showed her the dates. RIF

I?m just wondering what the dates are. The OP may not know that tires should be replaced  if they are 7 to 8 years old. So they need to look hard at the dates. 2 of the tires had visible defects but as you know, tires that look good externally when in fact they could be ready to blow.  Did the mechanic know that?

On Sunday we left San Jose in quite a bit of smoke and an AQI of about 150 or more. By the time we got about 15 miles East of Reno it was virtually gone.  By Monday morning the smoke was already bad there as we drove to the Eastern side if Nevada near Wells.  The smoke was pretty low when we arrived Monday night, but by morning it was again smoky.  Next we went to Declo, ID where the smoke again was light, but again it was worse by morning.  Today I am in Cody, Wyoming and the AQI is 35 compared to about 25 in San Jose, a big drop from when I left thanks to a bit of rain drizzle. It looks like the AQI in SD is about 80 now.

Northern Arizona and northern New Mexico are pretty cool this time of year.  They also don't have much smoke.  Are you over 62 and have a senior pass?  How about one or two of the Corps of Engineers campgrounds? 

JoelP said:
On Sunday we left San Jose in quite a bit of smoke and an AQI of about 150 or more. By the time we got about 15 miles East of Reno it was virtually gone.  By Monday morning the smoke was already bad there as we drove to the Eastern side if Nevada near Wells.  The smoke was pretty low when we arrived Monday night, but by morning it was again smoky.  Next we went to Declo, ID where the smoke again was light, but again it was worse by morning.  Today I am in Cody, Wyoming and the AQI is 35 compared to about 25 in San Jose, a big drop from when I left thanks to a bit of rain drizzle. It looks like the AQI in SD is about 80 now.

Yes. It's moving all over the place.
Gets better, gets worse. Difficult to predict
We had rain here in Mammoth on and off through the night and this morning!
Glorious.
Still smokey but less so than it's been.
And my friend called me from about 60 miles north on 395 awhile ago and there was clouds, blue sky and a perfect rainbow! and 0 smoke.

JudyJB said:
Northern Arizona and northern New Mexico are pretty cool this time of year.  They also don't have much smoke.  Are you over 62 and have a senior pass?  How about one or two of the Corps of Engineers campgrounds?
Not @ 62 yet ... too close for comfort though.
I've been thinking about N.M. though.
Used to live there yrs ago.
Thank you  :)

Seon said:
Will 14 days quarantine apply?

Not sure exactly what you're asking but i am very careful and respectful in that regard and follow the rules / laws of any state and community.

Though it is up where the jets play around not down at ground level the smoke has made it all the way over the Atlantic Ocean

This is ... I believe.. The worst fire system... EVER.

After months without rain where we started out in smokey California, we are seeing the first rain tonight as we stayed in Wisconsin.  I never thought rain would look so good to me.

JoelP said:
After months without rain where we started out in smokey California, we are seeing the first rain tonight as we stayed in Wisconsin.  I never thought rain would look so good to me.

Same here in N.H. we are in a severe drought situation. They?re saying maybe next week, we may see some rain. Pretty much my entire lawn is burnt to a crisp. I wouldn?t dare drop a match on it. The water table is so low, many towns have gone to no more washing cars or watering lawns.

We are in Henderson Nevada, about 60 miles from Pahrump and the smoke is often so thick you cant see across the valley.  I should go to Pahrump!!
Anyhow, we just got back from Pioche Nevada and there was plenty of smoke there too. It is a small town historic town. The RV park we were in has several folks that are there for months at a time. It's called Pioche RV Park. Real nice sites, all back in. In fact, you back in all the way from the road, not much maneuvering area. Wide sites (plenty of personal space), full hook ups, and deer come by to say howdy each evening...and probably morning too if you get up early enough.
Drawback is that it is in Lincoln County where there are, among other things, no  major grocery stores. There is a small grocery in Caliente, about 20 miles away. 
It may be further than you want to go, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
I hope you are safe from those fires, and wherever you go, be safe!! Happy trails.

Back
Top Bottom