Allison Transmission oil change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grooving grandpa

I have a 3000 MH Allison Transmission
I have had the Transynd (295) oil and filters changed every 4 years.
The first change I had put on 28,000+ miles in 2012. Second change, 2016, I put on 18,000+ miles.
Now 2020 I have 25,000+ miles
Charts say change every 300,000 miles or every 4 years
My question is: with my low mileage in every 4 years, do I need to change the oil or can I just have filters changed.
However, I would rather be safe than sorry. Oil is cheaper than a new transmission.
Thanks, Lou

A follow up to my post. I just read if the transmission is equipped with a "transmission retarder", it is considered Sever Duty Cycle, My Winnebago has an Exhaust Brake which I usually drive with it on most of the time. Me thinks I probably should change the oil every 4 years. Other opinions!!!

You didn't say the age or type of RV you have, but the MH3000 is often found in larger motorhomes and is considered to be a very reliable transmission. If it's serviced properly, and not routinely exposed to severe duty (I.E. towing on long, hot steep grades) the recommended service intervals should be all that's needed.

You may have an engine brake vs. an exhaust brake. Engine brakes are usually found in larger motorhomes too.

Kev 

The TES-295 fluid in my 2004 Allison 3000 still had never been changed when I sold it in late 2016 with 74k miles. I did a fluid analysis every year after year 8 and changed filter every 3-4 years.  It still tested fine in 2016, however, it was getting to the point where a change was advisable.  I would have done the first change if i hadn't sold it (the buyer said he would do so).  As an aside, the analysis showed a slow build up of metals in the fluid between filter changes and a marked drop after a filter change. That made the importance of filter changes crystal clear!

The "every 4 years" on the chart is a CYA for the possibility of some sort of contamination building up into the fluid and undetected. That is truly rare in a light duty application like a motorhome, so a fluid analysis to verify it is still clean is sufficient.  Allison fully concurs with longer change intervals  as long as there is regular maintenance check like that.

Good info Gary. My rig is 2004 36 ft  Winnebago Journey. So I assume the transmission is also a 2004. Not being a mechanic, how does the shop tech analysis the fluid. I am assuming it is a simple test. If it is like the coolant test with a stick that turned colors, can u buy them from Allison?
Thanks Lou

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The TES-295 fluid in my 2004 Allison 3000 still had never been changed when I sold it in late 2016 with 74k miles. I did a fluid analysis every year after year 8 and changed filter every 3-4 years.  It still tested fine in 2016, however, it was getting to the point where a change was advisable.  I would have done the first change if i hadn't sold it (the buyer said he would do so).  As an aside, the analysis showed a slow build up of metals in the fluid between filter changes and a marked drop after a filter change. That made the importance of filter changes crystal clear!

The "every 4 years" on the chart is a CYA for the possibility of some sort of contamination building up into the fluid and undetected. That is truly rare in a light duty application like a motorhome, so a fluid analysis to verify it is still clean is sufficient.  Allison fully concurs with longer change intervals  as long as there is regular maintenance check like that.

Would this also be true for the smaller Allison 1000 transmission?

Not being a mechanic, how does the shop tech analysis the fluid. I am assuming it is a simple test. If it is like the coolant test with a stick that turned colors, can u buy them from Allison?
Not simple. You send a sample to a testing lab, e.g. Blackstone Labs or JG Lubricant Services, and they provide a detailed analysis of what is in the fluid besides it's original ingredients and how well it still meets its specs. Labs like that can analyze engine oil, tranny fluid and coolant. Cost is around $30 per sample.  At the price of TES-295 fluid, a test is a bargain if it avoids a change.

Would this also be true for the smaller Allison 1000 transmission?
The 1000 and 2000 families work on a different change interval formula than the 3000/4000  and use a lot less tranny fluid, but the same principles apply. The economics of test vs replace probably differ, though. 10 qt of fluid in a 1000 is a heck of a cost difference from the 29 qt in a 3000.

Allison has fluid & filter change calculators available online.They will recommend intervals based on tranny model and usage.  However, those are still in lieu of a planned maintenance program where the fluid performance is monitored and filter changed religiously.

https://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/fluid-filter-calculator

Thanks for that link, Gary. I have the Allison 1000 transmission in my tow vehicle, which I'll use for commuting but not every day. I had to guess on the type of transmission fluid I have, but the change intervals recommended were 150k miles or 4 years (fluid) and 50k miles or 2 years (filter).

Back
Top Bottom