E-bikes - restart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc Roads

I?m looking at an ebike ... looking at it as a range extender for getting around the outback ... For example, it?s 6 miles one way on a trail to a group of lakes; total of 12 miles round trip in one day.  No problem a few years back but now it makes for too long of a day.  Talked to another camper, who uses his ebike for hunting in MT.  Here?s the one he uses and an option that is a bit tougher than a typical bike.

https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/scrambler

This looks like a hybrid of a motorbike and bicycle ... knobby tires, tubular frame ... are there other ebikes out there like this? 

There are all sorts out there, their legality in certain areas may vary.  I have a folding low end $700 e-bike that was bought 2 years ago, and for what it is I am impressed with it, though just in the last couple of years such low end e-bikes have improved considerably.  Take a look at this youtube video that was just posted about a long term review of one by an RV'er that is about a year newer than mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6_3YauP-L0

I purchased our first e-bike almost 20 years ago when most people didn't know they existed. It was a German made Esselte Meto with a 350 watt front hub motor at 36 volts. We loved it then and still do today.

The battery was literally 24 rechargeable D cell batteries soldered together. Had to replace the batteries twice and Batteries Plus had a spot welder to do the job. The electronics failed which I was able to fix but the nail in the coffin was the front motor clutch. Purchased a new 500 watt 36 volt front hub motor / rim / tire kit which included everything for about $150. Upgraded the old batteries with a single 36 volt 10ah lithium battery for $100 and the best anti-puncture tires I could find for $50 each and new seat for $25. The old bike has been back in action for years. It's better now than when we bought it. It was originally governed at 15 MPH, now 30 MPH. I've never run out of power but I peddle and normally only use the motor up hills or just having fun.

If you're doing the math that's $375. So whatever quality bike you get, add $375 and that's about what you should pay for the bike. Obviously, the reseller will want to upcharge for assembly so another hundred bucks would be reasonable.

Personally, I like a bike that looks, feels and peddles like a regular bike. In addition, I want it to be super quiet so I'm not noticed even when I pass someone on a walking path.

The motor, controller, cables, battery, etc will add about 35 pounds so starting off with a typical 30 pound steel frame bike and accessories is almost 70 pounds. You can trim some weight but normally reduces your motor's watt power, more expensive frame and hardware. 50 pounds is about as low as you will find and it can cost $3000.

Final note: It's about comfort and safety. Good brakes, tires, lights, seat, sitting position, quiet, odometer, bell, center stand, rack, and water bottle holder. Oh... by the way, it's not a girls bike it's a unisex bike. LOL

Attached is my other bike; a 2000 Kawasaki KLR 650. 340 pounds dry and will go over 300 miles on a single tank of gas.

Attachments

• KLR650.jpg
    KLR650.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 33
There is fellow on the forum that will hopefully add his expertise.

His name is Don and he has several electric bikes. Mostly bigger cycles, but he is very knowledgable about them.

We got ours a year ago and are still very pleased with them. I would recommend riding a few to see which one you like best. We rode several and finally decided on the EG Geneva, black for me and red for DW. I did change the handle bars to make them into more of a cruiser bike.
We found ours at Lenny's in Wintergarden, FL. They had several types there that we could test ride, took most of the day but in the end was worth the time spent to get the right fit for us.

Nice e-bike. I like the chain guard, fenders and throttle only. The mid hub motor seems to be the best because of gearing but I've heard off road it can be hard on the chain. Have you ever broken one?

When going off road on an e-bike I like front wheel drive because I can stand up and lean forward or backward as needed but I like rear wheel drive on my motorcycle but that's a different story.

After getting a couple flats off road I upgraded to continental City Ride puncture resistive tires because of the sidewall. I tend to take my e-bike in places most people wouldn't ride a bike and they have never left me stranded. There are better tires but for the money they are pretty good.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/continental-city-ride-ii-2015

Hi,

I'm a bit late on the thread but here's my input. I purchased a EG electric bike (La mans) over seven years ago and really like it. It is well built and has served me well. Just took it out to Oregon this year and road it on trails they have.

The thing I like about an electric bike, I do a lot of riding and often ride farther than I can physically go. The bike can then get me home without me getting overly tired. A safety net for sure. I get good exercise this way and don't have to worry so much about getting home. I know that after I did some pretty long rides this summer, I would be a bit sore the next day and could feel the work out so that is a benefit.

I do caution people who ride to be very careful of cars and people who are watching their phones rather than the road. A bike or electric bike is a very good way to go.

Attachments

• EGElectricBike2.jpg
    EGElectricBike2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 28
Travel with our e-bikes, often look for RV locations located near bike trails.  So many options these days, strongly suggest you ride before you buy.  I like fenders, I love pedal assist and use throttle for start and crossing roads.  With a small mounted bag you can grocery shop & on mine I built a fishing rod holder.  Getting a bit older, the e bikes made riding fun again.

HueyPilotVN said:
There is fellow on the forum that will hopefully add his expertise.

His name is Don and he has several electric bikes. Mostly bigger cycles, but he is very knowledgable about them.
That must be me. I have not checked into this forum much lately. I  will now try to be more active here.  I am now in Death Valley with my RV and Zero DS electric motorcycle. Sure is handy to get around here on, especially on all  the unpaved roads. I have been here for a week, but headed for Pahrump, NV  for another  week in the morning. And then to Organ Pipe Cactus National  Monument. After that I cannot even guess where I am going.

The best thing about eclectic motorcycles is how they use their own power to drive themselves up to the  motorcycle ramp on the hitch. Very easy one man job, no clutch. Bike weights only 317 lbs, so  it is fine with the tongue weigh capacity.  I rode it  to StiovePipe Wells the other day, as well as to  Badwater and back, and many other places. They now have six J1772 charge stations I can use. I charge my Zero DS above 6 KW with external chargers, Right up to the capacity of the charge stations.  You can see it in the photo here charging.  I charge this motorcycle at more amps than any of the cars around using these same chargers. Most of the cars do below 6KW on thee chargers. I do 6.4 KW.

-Don-  Furnace Creek, DCNP, CA (190 feet below sea  level)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom