Electrical Protection-Don't Leave Home Without It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

Thought I'd post this for newbies who might peruse the board.  My Progressive Industries EMS (Electrical Management System) likely saved my butt yesterday.  After 2 years of full-timing, and never having had an error code about electrical power supply, I got one yesterday after arriving and hooking up at the Hitchin' Post RV Park in Las Vegas in 102 degree temps.  I followed my usual routine and plugged into the pedestal, then went in the trailer to turn on the A/C, checked the wall monitor and saw that no power was coming in via the grid.  Went back out and found a reverse polarity error code.  The EMS blocked any incoming power as it should.  Reported to management, who could have cared less, and then had to move to another site.  PIA in the heat, but better than the alternative.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/

This product is not just a surge protector, and has the following features:

Built-in Scrolling Digital Display:
Previous Error Code (PE)
Normal Operating Conditions (E 0)Open Neutral Protection (no power through)
Reverse Polarity Protection (E 1)
Open Ground Protection (E 2)
High Voltage Protection (Line 1-E 3, Line 2-E 5)
Low Voltage Protection (Line 1-E3, Line 2-E 6)
High Frequency Protection (E 7)
Low Frequency Protection (E 8)
Provides Amperage Usage Reading

Product Features:
Over/under voltage protection
Open ground, open neutral & reverse polarity detection and protection
Surge failure indicator
Current indication
Previous error code (PE)
A/C frequency protection
Time delay (136 seconds)
Built-in scrolling digital display
Weather resistant /designed for outdoor use
7-days a week customer service
Lifetime warranty*
New Features Include:
All weather shield assembly
Rugged pull handle
Security locking bracket
Tough Lexan housing

Other models available, and in both 30 and 50 amp.

If you plug in, use an EMS unit, - i.e. don't leave home without it.

Linda

Absolutely agree. It's always one of my first recommendations when talking with new RV'ers about must haves on their new to them RV's.  This time of year the "low voltage drops" are very common in many older parks and some new ones.  The cumulative damage from low voltage on your electrical devices can be very expensive and inconvenient when they abruptly die (AC units, refers, TV sets ect).

SargeW said:
Absolutely agree. It's always one of my first recommendations when talking with new RV'ers about must haves on their new to them RV's.  This time of year the "low voltage drops" are very common in many older parks and some new ones.  The cumulative damage from low voltage on your electrical devices can be very expensive and inconvenient when they abruptly die (AC units, refers, TV sets ect).

It is really just devices with 120V AC motors that are susceptible to damage form low line voltage. It shouldn't hurt TV sets at all.

Joel

Our Progressive actually identified a fault with the power pedestal on the site I own at an "ownership" RV park.  The power kept cutting off and coming back on.  Because the Progressive has a "previous error" indicator, we were able to see that the problem was an intermittent high voltage reading on one of the two lines.  That's a common symptom of a "floating neutral" and, sure enough, after the power company technician tightened all the connections in the pedestal, the issue went away.  The technician commented to me that "only you RVers have equipment sensitive to detect this sort of thing!"  That made me a true believe in the value of the device.

It is really just devices with 120V AC motors that are susceptible to damage form low line voltage. It shouldn't hurt TV sets at all.
Up to a point, you're right about low voltage on TVs, depending on how low, although there are other things in many/most rigs other than TVs and electric motors, but these devices also do a lot more than just a low voltage check. Reverse polarity, high voltage, spikes, frequency, surges and such are also protected against. I fully agree with Doc, Marty and Linda that these should be considered essential.

People think they are expensive until they need one and it is too late. We have had hard-wired ones in our rigs for years. High temps mean lots of ACs taxing frequently old electrical systems leading to the low voltages. This has been our most common situation, at least once I can remember, the power pedestal was damaged with some type of malfunction. Can?t remember what it was, but the EMS let us know. We were just there for an overnight, so we just survived without electricity since it wasn?t hot and told the folks the next morning (it was late when we got there).

There is one important thing it won't tell you.

If the campground power circuit breakers are bypassed.

RV park in Vado New Mexico had bypassed the breakers at three of the sites I checked.

Told them and they shrugged their shoulders.  Needless to say I didn't connect to their power.

You have 3 types of devices in your RV that run on electricity
Electronic
resistive
Indutive
The first includes Televisions and radios.  as the voltage drops there is a point (Very narrow point) at which the picture on a TV may "Do the Watusi" or some such...  but then they simply do not work. No damage. they just don't work.. I hear yammer about how they have to "Work harder" but that is not true. they simply do not work at all.  ONLY possible "Damage" is the channel memory.. A Re-scan may be needed.

Resistivity (Water heater. heat element on Fridge. Light bulbs, Space heaters and the like) Work. just not as well  How low can the voltage go and still work.. Well for the Fridge I don't know. but on my water heater I have a 240 volt element running on 120  so it's 1/4 the wattage (375 instead of 1500) but it works and just fine.. lights get DIM

The converter is an electronic device.. Mine is rated I think to 95 volts, below that. NO work. NO damage. just no work

Now all the above can be damaged by HIGH voltage.

Inductive loads like Air Compressors really hate low voltage and high voltage  If the voltage is too low then start up takes way too long .. the motor over heats and damage happens.  And replacements... about a kilobuck a pop installed.

Dreamsend said:
Thought I'd post this for newbies who might peruse the board.  My Progressive Industries EMS (Electrical Management System) likely saved my butt yesterday.  After 2 years of full-timing, and never having had an error code about electrical power supply, I got one yesterday after arriving and hooking up at the Hitchin' Post RV Park in Las Vegas in 102 degree temps.  I followed my usual routine and plugged into the pedestal, then went in the trailer to turn on the A/C, checked the wall monitor and saw that no power was coming in via the grid.  Went back out and found a reverse polarity error code.  The EMS blocked any incoming power as it should.  Reported to management, who could have cared less, and then had to move to another site.  PIA in the heat, but better than the alternative.

If you plug in, use an EMS unit, - i.e. don't leave home without it.

Linda

Very good advise! I'm not not too happy with the "Surge Guard" units that came in our new to us 2014 Itasca 36M. The surge protector passed the "Bad power" on to the transfer switch and damaged it. No display to show  codes, so still don't know what was wrong with the power from the pedestal. I'm having the transfer switch replaced later this week. I think a Progressive Industries surge protector is in our near future.

99 dart. You need to know that both SurgeGuard and Progressive Industries make various protection devices. The simple surge protection devices of  both companies do protect against surges. But they don't protect from other faults like open neutral, high/low voltage open  grounds , etc. To protect against those faults, you need an EMS (electrical management system). The device you had in your Winnebago was just a surge protector.
I think I paid about $350 for my PI EMS PT50.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom