Motorhome windshield damage & insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin27

Reading another users comments about his motorhome windshield replacement got me thinking.  Our Jeep Wrangler windshield gets a lot of chips because the windshield is so perpendicular to the road (and a lot of dead bugs), I assume with normal cars a lot of debris gets deflected without damaging the glass.  Do Motorhomes have the same issue?  Their windshields are also very perpendicular to the road. 

Also, our State Farm coverage on the Jeep includes comprehensive which replaces windshields for free, no deductible.  Does anyone have experience with comprehensive coverage on RV's and does it cover the same?  The other user had to pay his $500 deductible to get his fixed.  Since I'm adding insurance within the next couple of weeks I'll add comprehensive if it makes sense.

The nice big windshields on RVs are great to take in the scenery, but they're also rock magnets. Their near vertical angle and relatively large expanse also causes them to be not as strong as say, a car's windshield. One Forum member recently had his broken by water that was splashed up by a passing truck.

Our insurance company (Farmers) offers glass coverage with "free" replacement but it's pricey. I considered it but opted for coverage with a $250.00 deductible. A few months later a previously repaired chip started cracking, so the $2800.00 windshield was replaced. $250.00 didn't seem so bad.

Kev

We have a Florida policy Progressive. In the past two years, they have replaced both the Jeep and the Bus windshields with no deductible.

Reading another users comments about his motorhome windshield replacement...
That may have been me. My insurance is State Farm, and the $500 deductible I chose to keep costs down. The coverage you choose, the insurance company you're with, and state and local law all have possible effects on your costs, so note that I'm in the Denver, Colorado metro area, and things might be different where you are, not to mention that your rig is different, your driving record may be different and there may be other variables.

Does anyone have experience with comprehensive coverage on RV's and does it cover the same?
You're better off asking your insurance agent, since so many variables make it so different from one user to another and one locale to another.

My no deductible windshield was not a function of my policy. It's a state regulation. Every other state I have been in, had the same deductible for the windshield as for everything else, that I get as high as I can.

mrschwarz said:
My no deductible windshield was not a function of my policy. It's a state regulation. Every other state I have been in, had the same deductible for the windshield as for everything else, that I get as high as I can.

Interesting regulation. 

With my background of 40 years in insurance and risk management, I can assure you there are no free rides when it comes to buying insurance.  It's the reason I carry $1,000 deductibles across the board.  The sheer frustration of having to deal with claims adjuster is not worth the pain and time involved in trying to save a few bucks on a minor claim.  When I consider the premiums savings I've had in the 12 years we've been RVing and the number of insurance claims I've had, none, I think I can safely say I've saved a fair amount of money. 

I had a windshield claim on my motorhome last year (wow it feels a lot longer ago than that), caught a rock thrown by an oncoming dump truck less than 10 miles from home heading out on a 2 week long trip which left a softball size bulls eye on the drivers side windshield.  Called our Allstate agent about it when we stopped in the next town, sent him photos with a measuring tape next to the bullseye, a couple of  days later a claims adjuster called, went through a minor back and forth due to the nearest "preferred"  RV glass shop was 95 miles away from where I live, so they had to get special approval to have a local glass shop I have used in the past install the replacement glass.  Insurance company had their preferred glass company ship the replacement windshield directly to the local glass shop, then paid the glass shop for the installation.  Along the way there were a few back and forth conversations as the insurance claims person would not talk to the glass shop unless I made the call.  Otherwise smooth transaction, I think I paid a $250 deductible directly to the glass shop.  Windshield took about a week to arrive from the preferred glass provider, as they had some difficulty finding the correct size.

Yes, always get comprehensive coverage. Not only does it cover glass damage (unless there is a separate rider for that, which is also possible depending on your policy), but other non-fault "act of God" events, such as damage from hail, deer impacts, road hazards that cause damage to the vehicle, random flying stuff, a UFO landing on your vehicle, etc. It's usually quite inexpensive and fills in all the gaps when a claim is not really any particular driver's fault.

The high costs of RV windshields, awning replacements, and motorhome towing are reasons to make sure you have those extra things covered by your insurance policy.

Scott is right on. Comprehensive coverage is a nice thing and sometimes required by law and not very expensive. I've only hit one deer in my life but did it at highway speed at night. I think deer are beautiful but I sure wish they would walk across the highway so we could avoid them but no, they run full speed directly in front of you and you literally have no time to react and they cause a lot of damage.

I used State Farm for my house and all my vehicles for 30 years. After purchasing my last RV I got a quote from Geico and it was less than half. The quote was so low I sent a copy to my State Farm agent and asked him what was wrong with it. He admitted there was nothing different and they just had good rates. When I asked the Geico rep why the price was so low he asked me how often I drive my car and RV at the same time and mentioned RVs are normally parked. Motorcycles are a flat $99 a year. Bottom line is I switched to Geico on my vehicles but kept State Farm on my house.

For the first five years, Geico gives you full replacement meaning if you total it 4 years and 11 months after you buy it, you get a brand new RV. They have dropped my rate twice without asking.

I love State Farm but shop around because no one company does everything the best.

I have not had a traffic ticket or accident so maybe I'm an exception. Comprehensive is great because you are not held accountable for things out of your control but it's still covered.

The high costs of RV windshields, awning replacements, and motorhome towing are reasons to make sure you have those extra things covered by your insurance policy.
Good reasons, but often a separate roadside service such as Coach Net makes a big difference for a motorhome, especially when you include the extras that come with it such as techs available 24/7 to help you diagnose a problem (it goes well beyond towing), help in finding someone to fix your rig and, for covered services they even pay the service call, though not parts, and much more.

I have USAA and they don't write RV Policies in Texas, They partner with Progressive.

While I have not recently broke a motor home Wind Shield I did have to pay $500 deductible to get the Saflight repair earlier this year on the Mazda before we traded down older for the Jeep Wrangler we can 4 down back in May. 

USAA policies allow a free repair from Safe-light where they inject resin and vac it to hold the fracture. 

Their Repair areas are must be smaller than a dollar bill size surface volume and once they crack those things spider out quick if you hit a bump hard. Doubtful that many cracked windshields last that long IMO before getting really bad.

Kevin mentioning the $2800 repair had he not had the $-250 deductible on his insurance. 

I can handle $-250 a bit easier that $-2800 because self inflicted poor and happy is my reality.

Insurance for Glass.  Worth it

JD

Larry N. said:
Good reasons, but often a separate roadside service such as Coach Net makes a big difference for a motorhome, especially when you include the extras that come with it such as techs available 24/7 to help you diagnose a problem (it goes well beyond towing), help in finding someone to fix your rig and, for covered services they even pay the service call, though not parts, and much more.

Yes, very true! Increased roadside assistance through insurance jumped to my mind since that's what I've always done, but Coach-Net has overwhelmingly positive reviews for anyone who wants that next level of service.

garyb1st said:
With my background of 40 years in insurance and risk management, I can assure you there are no free rides when it comes to buying insurance. 

This is the most exact statement there is concerning insurance of any kind. Rates are based on the companies past loss record and expected future loss record. Costs for states requiring "free" windshield replacement are just spread over all of they policy holders.  That was never more obvious after having a catastrophic water damage event at the stick house last year. The renewal premium over doubled for home owners insurance. 

And RV insurance rates have really increased over the last 5 years or so. One company I had covering my RV refused to write any policies for vehicles over 35'.  When asked why I was being cancelled with my perfectly clean 20 year history, they said that there were too many claims with rigs longer than 35'. My record mattered not. 

When I moved to Florida, I had a policy with The Hartford in Washington. When I called to give the details of the move, they told me the exact same coverage in Florida would be more than double what I paid in Washington. I started shopping around and managed to get insurance from Progressive for only 50% more than I paid in Washington. Since I'm paying for it, I may as well benefit from it.

TNSTAAFL (There's no such thing as a free lunch). With a nod to Robert Heinlein.

Those Class Cs are looking better all the time. Safelite could probably replace your windshield the same day at your campsite for free if you have comprehensive. www.safelite.com

Let me add to Manifesto Segment #1 I provided earlier this morning.

As I gave this topic further thought as I do with all things I was contemplating all options the day of the Repair.  We were talking over stuff as I was admiring the Swing Arm coming out the van door.  I thought Yea, Space Shuttle....anyway back to the point of Manifesto Part #2.

I asked the guy if I chose to replace with No Heads Up Display Glass just Plain Glass type.  I had seen the electrical Tie in points by the rearview long before, but I love the road less traveled so until I could be convinced not to take a peak down that path,

He told me that the Computer would start displaying error messages as it "Lost Contact" with a Plain old Windshield.

I got the Check book out for the $500 as he was Playing that $500 tear jerking song.

Ouch. Just a subtle reminder to me that....

Nobody Suits Up and Rides for Free.  ;D

YOLO!

Don't spend it all working for the Man.

JD

mrschwarz said:
Since I'm paying for it, I may as well benefit from it.
TNSTAAFL (There's no such thing as a free lunch). With a nod to Robert Heinlein.

This sentiment is shared by many insurance buyers.  IMHO, it is akin to shooting yourself in the foot.  It's the reason so many insurance buyers like no or low deductible glass and comprehensive coverage.  But it is also the reason insurance premiums are so high and are going to increase significantly in the coming years.  As the Sarge points out, premiums are based on the companies past lost records and expected future losses. 

Consider the losses the insurance companies are going to have to pay because of the recent hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding and wild fires.  The numbers are going to be staggering and will possibly bankrupt some insurers with inadequate reserves.  Companies like 20th Century Insurance.  The 1994 Northridge Earthquake put them out of business.  My homeowners premium increased from about $300 to $900 in one year.  Same coverage at 3 times the premium, and I never made a claim. 

It's going to get worse.  More natural disasters that will cause billions of dollars in property loss.  Losses that can destroy much if not everything you own.  That is the reason you buy insurance. 

If we continue to look to insurance for losses we can cover ourselves, then there may not be as much money to cover the losses that can really hurt.  I can afford to pay for a windshield.  I won't be happy if I have to.  But if my home burns to the ground I want my insurance company to make me whole.  That's why I buy insurance.  And it's the reason I look to the company more than the premium. 

Tom55555 said:
Those Class Cs are looking better all the time. Safelite could probably replace your windshield the same day at your campsite for free if you have comprehensive. www.safelite.com

I'm getting off topic now, but the broken window on my trailer occurred while under way back in early July. I just heard from the glass shop contracted by the insurance company, that they found a matching window and it will be available in the next week or so. So if I'm lucky the repair will be completed about 12 weeks after it occurred, because they couldn't find the correct window for the wall opening. Luckily we didn't have any camping trips planned during that time frame!

The other good news is that I have $0 comprehensive glass coverage on the trailer, so at least this repair won't cost me anything out of pocket. Even if my rates increase a little as a result, my usual deductible is $1,000 so it'll take a LONG time before I'll pay that much back.

Back
Top Bottom