Tow question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoomerTX

TT is 7000 gvwr. 29 foot. Expedition im looking at has this sticker. No long distance or up and down hills. Close to home.  Am I ok?

Attachments

• 103724.jpeg
    103724.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 58
Can't tell with that information alone - need the Expedition's GCWR or Max Tow Rating. It is probably ok on the trailer tongue, as long as the trailer tongue (about 700 lbs) plus the weight of passengers in the SUV do not exceed the 1803 max for cargo & occupants.

Per the 2020 Ford Towing Guide, Expeditions are rated for towing either 6000 lbs (most variants) or 9200 lbs (with max towing options), so you are either way overloaded or just fine, depending on how the Expedition is configured. Unless you bought one specifically configured for heavy duty towing, you are probably in the 6000 lb category and a 7000 lb trailer will be well beyond your safe towing capability.

See page 34 in the 202 Ford Tow Guide:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/2020_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

as Gary says your max payload is 1803 lbs that is trailer hitch weight of approx 700 - 1050 lbs depending on how the trailer is loaded and ALL the passengers and their stuff in the vehicle ie mom and dad 150lbs each+ plus 3 kids 100ea + 600lbs bags coolers and ruff the dog 200lbs now your at 800lbs in the vehicle

1800 is max weight which means you will be riding on the bumps stops and have a very light front end

if your not planning on going far you will probably be okay but thats a YOU call

I agree, probably can do it.  Personally I wouldn't; to vulnerable to porpoising action with that Expedition, especially on the roads I take to local state parks in Indiana.  Keep it slow for sure. 

I assume it is the EL version, with maxtow.  If not, I retract my comment, No way would I consider it  8)

2nd time I've typed response and lost it from phone. Anyhow,  does the fact that I have an Equalizer 4 pt distribution hitch and sway bar help any? Understood still need some addl numbers. Trying to understand this more.  The fact that the GVWR on trailer is 7000 and tow vehicle is 7200 isn't enough to make a determination?  Not apples to apples?

The truck GVWR has nothing to do with the trailer weight - it refers to the weight carried in/on the truck, not what is dragged behind it.
Every vehicle has its own  GVWR, it's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That is the maximum it is designed to weigh when fully loaded. The brakes, suspension, etc are designed to handle that much and no more. The trailer GVWR refers to its weight, and the truck GVWR its own weight.

BoomerTX said:
The fact that the GVWR on trailer is 7000 and tow vehicle is 7200 isn't enough to make a determination?  Not apples to apples?

Those numbers are two different vehicles as Gary said. The trailer's GVWR (7000) is the max that the trailer can weigh, based on its frame, axles, tires, etc. The vehicle's GVWR (7200) is its max for the same reasons. Neither one means anything to the other, without knowing the vehicle's tow rating. A weight-distribution hitch will not increase your vehicle's basic tow capability, it just redistributes the weight across both vehicle axles for a smoother towing experience and slightly reduced tongue weight.

That is the maximum it is designed to weigh when fully loaded. The brakes, suspension, etc are designed to handle that much and no more.   

Wouldn't that mean if the total weight of the tow vehicle and TT was above that number it would overload the brakes?  If the TT has independent brakes I guess it might be ok, and the axles and suspension would only actually be holding the tow vehicle and hitch weight, right? (Just wanted to make sure I understand it right)

jaunvie said:
Wouldn't that mean if the total weight of the tow vehicle and TT was above that number it would overload the brakes?

Um... not quite, with only knowing the GVWR currently. We need the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratio (GCVWR) of the truck to understand where the truck + trailer weights fall together, which the OP has not provided yet. It's not listed on that sticker shown above.

If the TT has independent brakes I guess it might be ok, and the axles and suspension would only actually be holding the tow vehicle and hitch weight, right? (Just wanted to make sure I understand it right)

The trailer does have its own brakes and the trailer brake capability is part of what determines its GVWR (along with other items such as suspension, axle strength, frame rigidity, etc). 

The truck has two jobs when towing: (1) PULL the weight of the trailer, and (2) CARRY the portion of the trailer weight that rests on the hitch.  The truck's pulling capacity is stated via the truck GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) - the maximum combined weight of the truck plus whatever it is pulling.  The trucks carrying capacity is stated in the truck GVWR - the maximum amount of cargo weight that can be placed in or on the truck, including any passengers.  The truck has to pull the entire actual trailer weight but only carries the portion of it that rests on the hitch.

We don't know the actual loaded trailer weight yet, so it is estimated to be equal to the trailer GVWR (the max is should ever weigh). We don't know the weight on the hitch yet either, so that is estimated to be 10% of the trailer GVWR.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom