Azdell Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PollyAnnainKY

This is probably several conversations but...here we go. I park my Micro Minnie outdoors uncovered It's a 2020 with Azdell sides, a TPO roof and Gel coat front. I have researched and I don't want to cover it due to what I've read...covers don't last...are prone to mold, hold moisture, cost, etc. I thought I'd just clean it and wax it thoroughly after winterizing it. So far, it appears I don't need to do anything to 'winterize' the TPO roof. Just look for cracks and maintain/clean properly.
I can't find anything on whether Azdell can be waxed or not and if it even needs to be and I can't find much on the gel coat.
I also figured I'd treat the seals on the slide out and lube the tracks.
I guess that's it....please advise.

You probably know that Azdell is a polypropylene and fiberglass composite material. I don't see gel coat mentioned in the manufacturer's product description. Since the outer layer is fiberglass, there's no reason it can't/shouldn't be waxed to protect it from oxidation. Similarly, if the outer layer is gel coat.

Tom said:
You probably know that Azdell is a polypropylene and fiberglass composite material. I don't see gel coat mentioned in the manufacturer's product description. Since the outer layer is fiberglass, there's no reason it can't/shouldn't be waxed to protect it from oxidation. Similarly, if the outer layer is gel coat.

The "Azdel" layer in the sandwich is simply a substitute for luan plywood.  Wish mine had it ..... much less of an issue if/when water enters ..... and it has in my Class C overhead bunk area.  Being repaired but co$tly for sure.  My bad.....just didn't watch the cap seam closely enough.

https://www.azdelonboard.com

Be safe.

I can't find anything on whether Azdell can be waxed or not and if it even needs to be and I can't find much on the gel coat.
At the risk of being repetitious, adzel RV sidewalls are a laminate of a fiberglass (aka filon) outer skin and an adzel inner layer. You protect the fiberglass just as you would any other laminated fiberglass surface, i.e. with a marine or automotive "wax" product (near all of them these days are synthetics and have little or no actual wax).
https://www.azdelonboard.com/

The front (and maybe rear) caps are typically molded fiberglass with a gel coat surface. Again, a marine or automotive cleaner/wax product is what you use to shine it up and protect it.

PollyAnnainKY said:
here we go.

I park my Micro Minnie outdoors uncovered It's a 2020 with Azdell sides, a TPO roof and Gel coat front.

I thought I'd just clean it and wax it thoroughly after winterizing it. So far, it appears I don't need to do anything to 'winterize' the TPO roof. Just look for cracks and maintain/clean properly.
I also figured I'd treat the seals on the slide out and lube the tracks.
I guess that's it....please advise.

I will throw my hat into the ring and offer an opinion on your Winter 2020 strategy.

I don?t live in the Cold weather region, and not real sure about your Kentucky winter weather, coupled with I am clueless about TPO Roofs, but..

I think you are on track with the Common Sense mindset of keeping the Rig Clean, Try to keep it from Leaves, Sticks, and things collecting on it. 

Trees may be a problem with birds nesting and Zeroing in on your RV. 

Don?t have it butted up to the house so when it rains the roof drains on it.

Grit and dirt is the enemy, just as much so as water.

I personally am a fan of Tire Covers too.  Black Exposed Rubber down takes a beating from the sun down here so I use them.  I did not buy them as they were RV Swag I Inherited with the purchase.

If you?re not covering your roof with a tarp I get it.  The majority of people out there don?t.  Same with tires, and they are probably going to last the 7 years that are their Shelf and Active life spans with or without.

Sometimes we do things just to make us feel good, but Cleaning and Waxing is treating and keeping things Pliable.

Like women putting night creams on their faces, similar I guess. 

Sun and water, try to avoid them both while keeping it as dry and clean as you can while being out doors.

You definitely have you work cut out for you. 

You Plan looks good on paper, but I don't know alot of RVn, but the beauty is there are alot of people here just like me so by the time you add a few together you just may get smart!

Don?t forget the Pink Stuff too if you get the Hard Freezes. Plastic and eXpanding water when it freezes are not good for plastic pipes and fittings.

Oh, I am surprised somebody did not have a fit and start screaming not to lube the Rack and Pinon, rack portion on your slides. 

I am a fan of just wiping the dust off them with a shop rag with a do-dab of Oil on it?Call me a Risk Taker. 

Edited to add...Just got on a Roof Kick.  You got good weather now.  Look at your Roof seams. You can do some creative things with Eterna Bond 4" tape which will become your friend and your Particle Boarded Beauty Ages, shrinks and Cracks.

JD

thanks for the replies. The RV sits in an industrial park so no trees but plenty of sun. I'll keep an eye on the roof as part of general maintenance and caulk or tape issues as they arise. I'll wax the RV...though after the fist time I might rethink that strategy. I also plan to treat the rubber components of the RV including the seals on the slide and clean/lube the slide once a year. I don't have a good place to winterize it so the strategy is to camp in a full hook up site the last of the year and blow out the water/clean the hot water heater/clean and lube the slides, etc as the last thing before we head home. There is a car wash just down the street so I'll scrub it down there and finish up any other remaining items...pink stuff, tire covers, bug and mouse stuff and then hunker down for the winter with an occasional visit to make sure baby is good.

Be sure and use a 'lubricant' that won't attract dust on the slide and slide seals. I've seen some so called dry lubricants on the market so they are out there. Food grade silicon spray might be a good candidate for spraying on the seals (not petroleum based.)

And when you make your "occasional visit" be sure to run the generator for a half hour or so with a bit of a load (I use a 1500 watt electric space heater + the air conditioner fan.)  Seems like once a month minimum is the accepted standard with most of the gas genny owners.  They love to be run and running them at least once a month over the winter with an electrical load keeps the carburetor from gumming/varnishing up and warms up/dries out the generator windings.  You probably know all that stuff, but ..... just in case.

Be safe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom