Newer Subaru Outback flat towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRDWRK

Hi:
I don't mean to restart another what can be towed and what not but this is a second time that I have seen a newer Subaru outback being flat towed behind and RV. To my knowledge the only flat towable Subaru are 2016 and older crosstreck with manual transmission. Of course I don't know if these two outbacks were manual or automatic but I assume they were manual. Does anybody knows about outback being flat towable?
Thanks

I would not flat tow any Subaru. I've owned an Outback, Impreza and currently have a 2013 Forester XT tour. Love it, It goes 0 to 60 in 6 seconds on dry pavement and not much slower on wet pavement and can probably beat anything in 8" of snow off the line. Subaru's are amazing and safe vehicles but very complicated and you will damage them if you flat tow. That's why I bought our Ford Fiesta. I want an automatic (dual clutch) and be able to flat tow at 70 MPH for unlimited miles. Funny my Ford E350 is pulling my Ford Fiesta hatchback SE. Works great.

I believe that even manual Subaru's cannot be flat towed.  But as previously stated, check the manual.  You can probably download the manual with the help of Dr. Google.

Well, this is what I thought (they can't be flat towed) but then I came across these two occasions and I thought there might be something that I don't know.

I'm pretty sure we all agree automatic and CVT transmissions cannot be flat towed. I've heard mixed reviews on manual transmissions in terms of speed and distance limits.

I purchased a Ford Fiesta "Dual Clutch" because I wanted what seems to be an automatic transmission but can be flat towed. In basic terms, a dual clutch transmission is a manual transmission that shifts by itself. It is rated to be towed at 70 MPH for an unlimited amount of miles.

If you don't mind an manual transmission, buy a car with a manual transmission.

Tom55555 said:
I'm pretty sure we all agree automatic and CVT transmissions cannot be flat towed. I've heard mixed reviews on manual transmissions in terms of speed and distance limits.
Are you referencing Subarus here?  Otherwise not so.

Phil, I was referring to Subaru. Do you know other models with automatic or CVT transmissions that can flat towed? (long distances without modification)

Tom55555 said:
Phil, I was referring to Subaru. Do you know other models with automatic or CVT transmissions that can flat towed? (long distances without modification)
We just purchased a 2020 Buick Envision Premium because of it's towability - flat tow with no restrictions (speed or distance).  I just finished setting up with Roadmaster towbar light kit and Invisibrake system.  Previous towed was a 2014 Cadilllac SRX (had a 65 mph limit and had to be started and run for 15 min. every 1000 miles).  Brother has a Chevy Equinox,not sure of the year and specific trim level.  I know some can and some can not be towed.

Many cars with automatics can be flat towed without modifications.

We tow a 2019 Equinox, and I?m pretty sure Ford Explorers can be too.

There?s an online towing guide? A quick Google search will show you what models and years you can tow and what you can?t without modifications and what you can?t period.

As far as I know most or all CVT automatics cannot be flat towed.  That's why I use a dolly with mine.

As I recall the CVT Ford used in the CMax can be flat towed. Check the manual.

The 2020 Explorer can't be flat towed, the last Explorers that could be were the 2019s with V6s (not the 4s).

Tom55555 said:
That's why I bought our Ford Fiesta. I want an automatic (dual clutch) and be able to flat tow at 70 MPH for unlimited miles.

How would you rate your Fiesta as far as roominess goes? Currently towing our Honda Odyssey van and have looked at a number of more compact (lighter) options, but being a tall person they were just too cramped.

jymbee, It's very small. The front seats are fine but the back seats are a joke. The trunk is good. It's only 2600 pounds but can go 80 MPH no problem and gets about 40 MPG. The standard radio is crazy loud. The AC is great. No problems whatsoever in three years. You can buy those rubber Matt's all the way around which we did.

The black hatch back SE looks pretty cool for a tiny car.

Note: Some of the earlier dual cutch had issues. No issues with our 2017. If you research it Ford figured it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom