rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Customs seized my guitar  (Read 1293 times)

SeilerBird

• ---
Customs seized my guitar
« on: October 07, 2020, 05:19:32 AM »
I ordered a guitar on eBay for $188. It is a Les Paul clone from China. I ordered it in March and it was not shipped until last month. Yesterday I got a bunch of paperwork from the government telling me my guitar was being held at customs since it was violating Gibson's ideas of a headstock. I can pay $61 and fight it or just give it up and lose the guitar and money. I can't find out anything about government seizures by searching.

X-Roughneck

Re: Customs seized my guitar
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 06:18:15 AM »
I ordered a guitar on eBay for $188. It is a Les Paul clone from China. I ordered it in March and it was not shipped until last month. Yesterday I got a bunch of paperwork from the government telling me my guitar was being held at customs since it was violating Gibson's ideas of a headstock. I can pay $61 and fight it or just give it up and lose the guitar and money. I can't find out anything about government seizures by searching.

Wow.  Bummer.

I had a friend once who sent some tennis shoes from Korea as Christmas Gifts.

Customs had opened, determined they were knock off, look a likes, and took a Knife, cut the sole the entire way thru and  sent them to final destination.

This was early 90s though.

You got caught up in that 10% check it sounds like. Check the price on SW air as they are running some Deals Right Now.  Maybe worth it. 

If not request them doing a Paul Stanley / (KISS) Walk Off at the end of the concert Smash and have them send it to you on video.

JD
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:11:01 AM by X-Roughneck »

X-Roughneck

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 06:24:48 AM »

Dude you would like my sisters.  Twins.  Both music teachers.  Long since retired.  Artists.  You seem like you are in that same set. Just wanting to Crank on that Les Paul Knock off and don't bother no one.

My sisters are talented singers.  Sang at my Father's funeral.  Had the whole bunch of people wailing.

My sisters were born in 49.  I was born in early 60s so I have alot of their high school "The Beatles" memories too.

JD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixr-xZmZodk
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 06:27:58 AM by X-Roughneck »

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 07:56:38 AM »
I would contact Ebay and explain what happened. The least they can do is remove the product from their site. But there might be some way they can reimburse you. If you paid with CC I would contact your CC company also. Same if you paid through PayPal.
Retired Air Force
Retired DoD Chief, Education & Training
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 07:58:38 AM »
Oldgator beat me to the answer
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

X-Roughneck

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 08:01:00 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDE4eRrZRAI

Derek St Holmes.  Loved it when he fronted Ted Nugent.

I should have reported those crappy Scheechers shoes I just got on the Big River!

Too good of price, watch out.

JD
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:13:07 AM by X-Roughneck »

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 08:38:07 AM »
I would contact Ebay and explain what happened. The least they can do is remove the product from their site. But there might be some way they can reimburse you. If you paid with CC I would contact your CC company also. Same if you paid through PayPal.
I already have a fraud complaint with my CC. I put it in about a month ago. The product I ordered did not have the bird inlays shown. None of their guitars do. Personally I don't care if they remove the product, not my problem.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 08:40:26 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDE4eRrZRAI

Derek St Holmes.  Loved it when he fronted Ted Nugent.

I should have reported those crappy Scheechers shoes I just got on the Big River!

Too good of price, watch out.

JD
It is a normal price for a Chinese knockoff.

SMR

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 09:24:07 AM »
Sounds like a good start for a song.....😎
Steve
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL
2015 Ford F350
me, DW and Mattie dog

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »
I have only written one song in my lifetime and that was one too many for me.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 05:34:00 AM »
I have received an email from the seller and he has promised to send me another guitar.

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 03:06:46 PM »
I received a letter from lawyers in Atlanta telling me that if I kept on trying to import illegal guitars they would charge me and have me arrested.

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 03:49:59 PM »
Gibson has got very aggressive with protecting their products against knock offs.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle & Tigger
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14í V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
A Grand Design 337RLS in the near future. 😁
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)
N1SPA (up to my neck in hot water, as always)

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 05:39:59 PM »
I received a letter from lawyers in Atlanta telling me that if I kept on trying to import illegal guitars they would charge me and have me arrested.

Who are they representing?
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 07:04:42 PM »
Who are they representing?
Gibson. The funny thing is that if I search for the lawyers online I don't get a bunch of hits for other people being threatened with a lawsuit. Why are they picking on me?

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »
They are not picking on you. Gibson has been aggressive about knock offs for years. Customs has been attempting to stop knock offs of all sorts like hand bags and other stuff for years.

Face it, you want a Gibson but donít want to pay for it. So, you buy a knock off. You got caught.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle & Tigger
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14í V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
A Grand Design 337RLS in the near future. 😁
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)
N1SPA (up to my neck in hot water, as always)

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 04:16:24 AM »
They are not picking on you. Gibson has been aggressive about knock offs for years. Customs has been attempting to stop knock offs of all sorts like hand bags and other stuff for years.

Face it, you want a Gibson but donít want to pay for it. So, you buy a knock off. You got caught.
No I didn't want a Gibson. I don't like American guitars, I prefer Oriental made guitars. I understand Gibson has been very aggressive protecting their patents. But I have only heard about them going after companies, not individuals. If they were attacking individuals why isn't anyone talking about it on the Internet? 

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 07:07:46 AM »
Why are they picking on me?
I would guess because they know you buy products continuously from a Communist country. Sign up for USPS Informed Delivery.  You will see, the Gov't monitors every piece of mail and package you receive, every day.  When you really want to know what is going on, watch the documentary 'The Social Dilemma' on Netflix.
2020 F150 Lariat 502a, Max Tow, 3.5 Eco
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 07:10:54 AM »
I would guess because they know you buy products continuously from a Communist country. Sign up for USPS Informed Delivery.  You will see, the Gov't monitors every piece of mail and package you receive, every day.  When you really want to know what is going on, watch the documentary 'The Social Dilemma' on Netflix.
I have not bought products continuously from a Communist Country. I have bought maybe three in the past twenty years.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2020, 07:35:56 AM »

Many of us have products around our house that say made in China on them. I usually donít look at where something is made, if I want it I buy it. You can order a cabin from Russia on ebay. If a product is illegal to be shipped to the US it shouldnít be listed.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife
Do you know the difference between Education and Training: Would you rather your daughter take sex Education or sex Training?

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 07:54:13 AM »
The internet doesnít care where you are located, but customs agents do. My husband has a 3D printer. He orders a number of things from China, because thatís where the product is made. Not all accessories and add-ons are available from US distributors. Never a problem because no intellectual property is being stolen. And thatís what was happening with the guitar - stealing intellectuals property. Doesnít matter if you like it or donít like it; it is the law. BTW, this happens in lots of industries, not just music. Clothing, accessories, electronics - all have had big customs seizures.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 07:59:37 AM »
Maybe this seller in China is on a watch list?
2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

"Never argue with stupid people. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 08:08:59 AM »
Maybe this seller in China is on a watch list?
I have no clue where he is really from. His name is Chinaguitar so he probably is from China.

k9cop

• ---
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 08:30:48 AM »
I have no clue where he is really from. His name is Chinaguitar so he probably is from China.

I know this wont help you now but it will explain the process, when you get to the site look a trade lot of information on imports. https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export

Dreamsend

• ---
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 08:38:42 AM »
I would guess because they know you buy products continuously from a Communist country.

This seems a little rough.  So do we ALL!  2019 imports from China = 451.6 BILLION (source: US Bureau of Census).  Did you use any tools, use any electronics or wear any clothes lately, then you used and bought a product from a Communist country. 

On the other hand, I wonder if they are horrified that they imported $23.8 billion in agricultural products (read as FARMERS) from a Capitalist country, and from 2000 to 2017, increased those ag imports from the USA by 700%. Soybeans are China's No. 1 agricultural import from the U.S., with a 52% market share.

It's called trade and it operates both ways.

Linda
Linda with kitty Sara
2019 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge
27BHS
2017 Ford F250 Lariat aka Gypsy Rose

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 10:31:49 AM »
Back in the early 80's, I brought a talented engineer over from our UK plant for a couple of months. Chris and I played tour guides some weekends. When we went to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, he went in every gift shop and picked up every item. He wouldn't go home with a gift that wasn't labeled "made in the USA". But everything he picked up in these tourist traps said "made in China". In retrospect, I should have pre-printed some labels and stuck them on the bottom of things in a store.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 12:15:46 PM »
2019 imports from China = 451.6 BILLION

On the other hand, I wonder if they are horrified that they imported $23.8 billion in agricultural products

It's called trade and it operates both ways.

Linda

Great stats, even more reason ALL of us need to take a better look in the mirror.  Trade should be somewhat even, and it's hard to compete with labor laws like they have.  It's one thing to buy because it is not available from other sources (tvs etc).  It's another thing to buy simple because it's cheaper.

Back to Tom's dilemma, I'm sure that Gibson is tired of fake knock-offs and are spending $ to stop it.  Personally I would take the letter you got from Lawyers as a serious warning, intentional or not on your part. 

2012 Puma 21BH TT
Paul & Julie

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 12:51:20 PM »
Great stats, even more reason ALL of us need to take a better look in the mirror.  Trade should be somewhat even, and it's hard to compete with labor laws like they have.  It's one thing to buy because it is not available from other sources (tvs etc).  It's another thing to buy simple because it's cheaper.

Back to Tom's dilemma, I'm sure that Gibson is tired of fake knock-offs and are spending $ to stop it.  Personally I would take the letter you got from Lawyers as a serious warning, intentional or not on your part.
Trust me, I am taking this dead seriously. I am no longer buying guitars, I have enough of them. In fact I am thinking of selling a few.

I am sure Gibson is sick of the cheap knock-offs. But it has been going on for over 50 years. The horse left the barn a long time ago. The problem for Gibson is that they price their guitars exceptionally high leaving lots of room for the knock-offs. Imagine a 14 year old wanting to buy a Les Paul. The two basic choices are a genuine Gibson for S1500 or a $200 copy. And there are not a lot of guitar players that could tell the difference between the two. For the extra $1300 all you are buying is a name.

Ex-Calif

• ---
  • Dan from Dayton...
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 02:40:40 PM »
Intellectual property protection has to start somewhere and has to continue.

The only sustainable competitive advantage is invention - We used to be and arguably are the best country in the world at invention. IN my business the holy grail is material technology.  Our company uses such high tech metals that no one can come close. Our own company is petitioning the State department to allow us to move materials engineering off shore (India, China and Poland) - so far no one is saying yes. Thank God. The reason is these materials are used in military jet engines. You can even be on some hardware teams if you are not a US citizen.

My brother worked for an IT company that developed a gateway (patented chip) so "remote monitoring" systems for machines like MRI and CatScan equipment could penetrate corporate firewalls. i.e. you put this box on the machines internet connection and remote diagnostics can be done without having to open a port etc.

6 months later the Chinese were selling them.  When they got a hold of one it was an exact copy of the companies chip. They didn't even bother to change the logo.

Yeah - You pay for a name. A name that was earned. And if some Chinese guy builds a knock off we should do everything in our power to stop them.

After invention it is a made of mass reproduction at the cheapest price and with China's average wage being like <$12,000 a year US companies are put out of business...
"Marvin" - 1997 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3150 - P30 Chev 454
Various classic MGBs
Ex-liveaboard boater - Class A newbie in sponge mode

WillyDaC50

• ---
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2020, 01:19:13 PM »
Oldgator beat me to the answer

I'd have to second Oldgator on that. There are so many LP Clones it surprises me it got seized in the first place.  As a nearly exclusive Gibson player myself, I don't like to see so many copies or outright forgeries out there.  Could be the new management at Gibson is starting to crack down once again. Ebay allows these sales and should make it right with you. Not to be a particularly snarky person, but the Epiphone LP's I'm hearing aren't too shabby and are somewhat reasonably priced compared to a similar Gibson branded one.  I'm sorry but I bought my first LP Custom in '71 new (still have it) and have several others and costly or not, I'd rather see them stay in business. 

Robert K

• ---
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2020, 06:25:58 AM »
hmm must be my post was thought to be political?
Bob&Sandy
96 Safari Serengeti
3126 Cat
2011 jeep wrangler
Western New York

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
Quote from: Robert K
hmm must be my post was thought to be political?
It became a lightning rod and was moved out of sight by a forum staffer along with a number of replies.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:37:07 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2020, 01:35:50 PM »
Item was not delivered, so start a Paypal dispute.  Buyers win with Paypal. Also request money back from the seller for offering counterfeit goods.
Keith

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »
Item was not delivered, so start a Paypal dispute.  Buyers win with Paypal. Also request money back from the seller for offering counterfeit goods.

Or when you want to play that guitar go to China and play it.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Robert K

• ---
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2020, 04:50:11 PM »
Darn I never got to see them. We are traveling in Florida and Georgia now so had not been able to check the forum. 8)
Bob&Sandy
96 Safari Serengeti
3126 Cat
2011 jeep wrangler
Western New York