Ukuele then guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
COVID permitting, one of our grandkids wants to learn to play ukulele, then guitar at our  Christmas family reunion in the MidWest. We're doing what we can to assure a COVID-safe reunion.

Tom,

Film the Grand Kids with their Ukes doing a 2020 rendition of Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe thru the Tulips" then Cast it to the Big Screen TVs and play it at family reunions for the next 20 years.  ;D

Just the Threat might get you free lawn cuts for just mentioning Tiny Tim.  ;D

JD

Thanks for the confidence Tom. As we found with running uke classes at a grade school, Kids are like sponges and soak this stuff up. Wish I'd been taught to play a musical instrument when I was a kid.

Aye JD, I have a video of a "first uke lesson" with one of the grandkids when he was 3 or 4.

Tom said:
Thanks for the confidence Tom. As we found with running uke classes at a grade school, Kids are like sponges and soak this stuff up. Wish I'd been taught to play a musical instrument when I was a kid.

Aye JD, I have a video of a "first uke lesson" with one of the grandkids when he was 3 or 4.

Back when he was 3 or 4...How old is the kid now?  If he has some eXperience can probably play video games and wail on that Uku, and be texting at the same time (Multi-Tasking) knowing kids now days.

Tom - I bought me a Martin six string and I am terrible at playing guitar now. For the past four years all I have been playing is ukuleles. I have been ignoring the guitar and now it really shows. I suck. On top of that my singing voice is rotten. I was going to make a quick video to show it off but I am not good enough to do it. :)( I should have listened to Fleetwood Mac when they said 'Don't stop'.

SeilerBird said:
Tom - I bought me a Martin six string and I am terrible at playing guitar now. For the past four years all I have been playing is ukuleles. I have been ignoring the guitar and now it really shows. I suck. On top of that my singing voice is rotten. I was going to make a quick video to show it off but I am not good enough to do it. :)( I should have listened to Fleetwood Mac when they said 'Don't stop'.

Tom,

I bit off topic but I was viewing your 2019 Pics...Think you are in Florida.  Was that a Rocket Launch gone bad or what?  Elon Musk / Space-X Shot out of the Cape?

Not a Ukuleles player but love to listen and peck around RV Forum to all kinds of music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHolBAG0Cec

JD

[quote author=SeilerBird]I bought me a Martin six string and I am terrible at playing guitar now. For the past four years all I have been playing is ukuleles. I have been ignoring the guitar and now it really shows.[/quote]

Tom, I'm almost the reverse. My daily go-to instrument is my 12-string Martin. I've started adding my 8-string Kala uke into the mix, so hopefully I'll be in some sort of shape before I need to give lessons.
On top of that my singing voice is rotten
Don't remind me - I lost my singing voice altogether in 2018. After seeing various ENT Docs and vocal therapists, then several visits with the vocal clinic at UCSF Med Center, the diagnosis was a breathing issue - insufficient breath to support the notes. Met with two other departments at UCSF. They changed a couple of my meds and prescribed a new wonder med ($$$$) administered via injections every two weeks. Chris gave me the first injections this week.

I'm patiently waiting (improvement can take weeks or even months), and I jokingly tell folks I might come back as a tenor or soprano  :)

Yesterday I received a request from one of the adults in our extended family to be a student. He's not sure if he wants to learn to play uke or guitar. I'm thinking I'll teach him on baritone uke, so the switch to a guitar, if he so chooses, will be easier (same fingering plus a couple of extra fingers).

Another option I previously experimented with for someone else - use a piece of foam to mute two strings on guitar and play baritone uke fingering.The guitar could be 3/4, 7/8 or full size.

X-Roughneck said:
Tom,

I bit off topic but I was viewing your 2019 Pics...Think you are in Florida.  Was that a Rocket Launch gone bad or what?  Elon Musk / Space-X Shot out of the Cape?

Not a Ukuleles player but love to listen and peck around RV Forum to all kinds of music...

JD
All the rocket launches I have photographed was in Florida. None were gone bad, it is just that the upper atmosphere winds distort the plume they leave.

My singing voice is not gone altogether. I just have trouble hitting the notes I used to hit and holding a note is not possible now. I love to sing the high harmonies on Beatles songs and the other day I sang background on all the songs on Rubber Soul. I was horrible. I am glad no one was listening to me. I am still wanting a 12 string which I will buy eventually when I get my fingers working again.

X-Roughneck said:
Tom,

JD
Let me tell you a little secret. When you are looking at any of my photos on Google there is a little icon in the top right corner of the photo that has the letter i inside a circle. That stands for Information. Click on it and a screen opens telling you all the gory details of the shot (aperture, shutter speed and all that crap). Scroll to the bottom of the window any you will find the location of the shot and a map of exactly where the shot was taken. This is call the EXIF information and is available on most all digital photos if you know where to look.

Back
Top Bottom