Black Tank Flush -- How necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bugford

Looking for our first trailer (still), and was wondering how useful is the black tank flush.  Should the absence of one be a deal-breaker?  Thanks!

In my case, i would not be without one. Would it be deal breaker, no. Typically you can install one in a DIY project

Lots of things are useful.  My RV didn't come with one and I haven't encountered a situation yet where one would've made a difference.  Maybe it depends on the tank shape or other operational nuance affecting tank clearing where having one would help so I can't say they have no purpose but from my perspective I would treat the presence or lack of one as a don't care.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I prefer to have one, but I wouldn't make it a deal breaker if all else is fine, either. It IS handy, though, to help get the last little bits of stuff out of the black tank (or sometimes more than just bits). But your dumping habits are more important than the flush itself, including putting a couple or three gallons of water in the black tank after dumping to help the natural processes along. I'd do the same for the gray tank, since it also helps to keep seals and gaskets moist.

I have had four trailers without one, and if you use the proper chemicals, rinse after each time you dump with about eight gallons of water, and dump prior to the tank being full, (for two of us that is once a week ) you shouldn't need one.
That would be the last thing on my list in a new trailer

Jack L

Neither of my RV's have had a BT flush, I never use chemicals (only water), and I have neither black tank build-up nor odors from the tank. Just for good measure, I rinse/flush the tank annually with a spray wand that attaches to the end of my hose and I lower through the toilet.

So no, you don't really need a built-in flusher and that should definitely not be a deal breaker.

A lot depends the shape of the black tank, and where the outlet pipe connects, as some designs drain better than others.

Sometimes helpful or convenient, but not at all necessary.  And certainly not a deal-breaker.

The primary benefit of the tank flush sprays are to help remove slime from internal tank level sensors and often it isn't all that effective anyway.  The flusher is also a convenient way to introduce some extra fresh water to the tank after emptying it, either to rinse it a bit or to pre-load the tank with a gallon or two of water, but you can do the same by flushing the toilet several times.

I've had trailers with and without a black tank flush.  I've found it useful to add a few gallons of fresh water to an empty tank.  Had no problems without it.  We did not dump the tank until it was at least 3/4 full  then added a few gallons of water to through the commode before using it the first time.  We have never used chemicals. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom