Towed vehicle connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsplaisted

Hi folks,

We are towing our Jeep behind our class A RV.  We are using a Roadmaster Even Brake 9400 braking system which we got with the RV.  The braking system is powered via the 12V dash power outlet in the Jeep, but that automatically shuts off after a while.

So apparently we need a power connection from the RV to the Jeep.  The RV has a 6 pin connection near the trailer hitch and we have the cable that connects to that.

What do we need installed on the Jeep side to connect to that cable?  I've found 6 pin connectors on Amazon, but how does it get wired in to the Jeep?  In addition to supplying power, what are the other pins for?  Do they drive the turn signals, or brake lights, or what?

Thanks,
Daniel

Attached is a photo of the typical 6 pin hook up.  My personal preference would be to wire a fused power outlet directly from the 6 pin connector.  There are other ways, but the direct approach eliminates any interaction with your Jeep's electrical system.  Hope the info helps.

Attachments

• six pin wiring.jpg
    six pin wiring.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 15
Thanks.

If there's a pin that goes to the electric brakes, can that be used instead of the physical braking system?

The "blue" brake control referenced in the diagram is for a trailer with electric brakes and a brake controller in the tow vehicle. The blue wire is only "hot" when the controller in the tow vehicle calls for active braking.  I believe the even brake requires a constant 12 volt source to power the compressor (and receiver) with the control of the actual braking handled through the wireless transmitter, but I do not know that for sure.  Hopefully, someone with direct knowledge of the Roadmaster system will chime in.

One simple solution is to install an auxiliary 12v outlet in the toad, wired direct to the car battery.

If your 6-pin connector is the common round "Pollack" type, with 5 pins surrounding a 6th in the center, the center pin is designated for constant 12v from the coach battery. Whether & how the installer actually wired it may be another matter, but that's fixable if necessary. That pin on the plug could be wired to charge to toad battery, but that doesn't stop the toad internal circuit from disconnecting the outlet. You still need to make a wire connection from your brake unit to the 12v power source.

This article shows the common 6-pin round connector and the recommended wiring.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-68906.html
There is also a rectangular 6-pin connector used on some brands of coaches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom