Using iPhone for hotspot vs. Ellipsis Jetpack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magothy1

When I moved to my current location I changed my phone plan with Verizon and was advised the Jetpack was the way to go for a hotspot connection to the laptop. (I'm using the Wilson booster rig.) I've been using the jetpack since early August, I guess, and it sure looks to me as tho the iPhone SE, a new model, is a better connection. It seems to do videos faster and is less likely to lose a signal during the day when cell use is busier, I guess is how I'd say it.

I'm going to try to get Verizon to let me drop the Ellipsis charges and return it. I've been thru a couple tech talk things where they tell me to do this that and the other, of course, to keep the Jetpack up and running. Anyone else had similar experiences ?

The Ellipses is an entry level Verizon Jetpack. The 7730L and the newest 8800L are much better choices that cover more frequency bands and support more advanced multi-connection protocols like MiMo (Multiple In Multiple Out) antennas for a stronger signal and multi-carrier aggregation that combines multiple band connections for faster speeds. Either one used with a good MiMo antenna pair should outperform the iPhone.

I forgot our ellipsis on our last trip so we used my iPhone.  It was kind of a pain in the ... because whenever the DW wanted to use it I had to wake it up manually.

The ellipsis stays connected and available as long as it has power.  It's speed is mostly adequate.

I have used my iPhone (still an old iPhone 7) numerous times as a hotspot.  It's the main reason I have the unlimited data plan with AT&T.  I have streamed movies through it to my TV with good success.  Not perfect, I still got a hiccup here and there, but nothing I couldn't live with.  I have also used it when I lost my Internet a number of times.  It does a fine job.  I don't know much about the dedicated hotspots, but I have to believe that maybe you should check on what NY Dutch says.  And if you're not happy with that, try the iPhone as a hotspot.  I am content with mine.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into a better one, depending on cost. This little Ellipsis hockey puck isn't earning it's keep.

8Muddypaws said:
I forgot our ellipsis on our last trip so we used my iPhone.  It was kind of a pain in the ... because whenever the DW wanted to use it I had to wake it up manually.

The ellipsis stays connected and available as long as it has power.  It's speed is mostly adequate.

My Android is like that it stays live all the time.
One of the issues with the I-Pone is that when you are using it as a hot spot. there are devices wich think the "I" stands for Incompatable. 

OH they will work with it, But as you found you have to jump through hoops.

Never had a problem with incompatibilities across Macs, Windows 7, 10, Linux, Android & Chrome.  You may have set the network up for an encryption method older network hardware doesn't support.

I've done a few tests or comparisons. When the Ellipsis has stuttered or coughed, so to speak, I've set up the iPhone and it's been way, way faster. I like to look at music video in the evening, old concert stuff, and the phone is lots faster loading and smoother playing. It's a new SE, I'd expect it to be good, but I wouldn't have thought the entry level jetpack that Verizon pushed would be quite such a dog. Hm, I like dogs, maybe that's not a good comparison.

My wife and I use old Samsung Android S5 phones with Metro by T-Mobile. My Windows Surface Pro PC, my wife's  Kindle and our security camera connects automatically to our hot spot phones.

NOTE: Only T-Mobile would offer hot spot on such old phones but they work great. Unlimited voice, text and data and 30 GB of hot spot on two phones for $90 a month.

I have a Verizon 8800 with the MIMO capability ... plenty fast but that also means you chew through the data quicker too.  My iPhone 8 is not as fast but it has a higher data limit so I use it when the 8800 gets throttled. 

Some devices. Specifically Raspberry Pi's but I'm not sure it's limited. may have "Issues" with the I-Phone as a hot spot. they are "Get around-able" but they exist.  Since I use an Android I can not elaborate but I hear from a lot of I-Phone users crying for help.

Beyond that.. i've used jet packs or Mi-Fi devices and for any given cellular service 6/half dozen.

Back
Top Bottom