Computer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragginourbedaround

I just bought a new computer. 10th Generation Intel Core i5-1035G1, speed 3.6 GHz, cache 6 MB and 16 GB of memory. My last computer after many years took forever to load and operate. I was using Windows 10, Intel Core i3 and always updated when prompted. What software/programs can I use to keep the new computer operating at top speed?

Thanks!

First thing you need to do is upgrade the anemic 16GB to at least 64gb or more.  The biggest slow down for any computer is the anemic memory. There are numerous programs to clean memory and caches.  Some free, but those will be limited.  Virus/spyware cleaners are what you need.

donn said:
First thing you need to do is upgrade the anemic 16GB to at least 64gb or more.  The biggest slow down for any computer is the anemic memory. There are numerous programs to clean memory and caches.  Some free, but those will be limited.  Virus/spyware cleaners are what you need.
16 GB mem is hardly anemic, especially with an i5.

One thing I will say about new computers
Just bought a new HP windows 10 laptop because alas I need at least one Win-Dozer.

I was amazed at how fast it set up and worked.  I'm used to "Pack a lunch and perhaps supper too" this thing was up and running in minutes.
Not as fast as  a new chromebook  but still impressively fast.

Arch Hoagland said:
Swapping out the hard drive fpr a SSD will create the biggest speed increase you've ever seen.

What make and model computer is it?
Dell Inspiron 3593. I'm happy with the speed, but I wouldn't turn away faster.

John From Detroit said:
One thing I will say about new computers
Just bought a new HP windows 10 laptop because alas I need at least one Win-Dozer.

I was amazed at how fast it set up and worked.  I'm used to "Pack a lunch and perhaps supper too" this thing was up and running in minutes.
Not as fast as  a new chromebook  but still impressively fast.
Mine too!

First thing you need to do is upgrade the anemic 16GB to at least 64gb or more.  The biggest slow down for any computer is the anemic memory.
I wouldn't call 16 GB anemic at all.  Windows 10 runs quite nicely on my 8 GB laptop (Intel Core I7) with an SSD. My other two Win 10 PCs (which I built myself) are 16 GB models.  An SSD makes  a big difference - PC makers often install big but rather slow hard disks, since they know more buyers look at size than access speeds. To some extent, more RAM can offset a slow hard disk, but only so far.

donn said:
First thing you need to do is upgrade the anemic 16GB to at least 64gb or more.
As others have pointed out, 16GB RAM is hardly anemic. Beyond that, that laptop's maximum RAM capacity is 16GB. It's already maxed out.

The best thing the OP can do to speed it up is add an SSD. By "add" I mean replace the 1TB spinner as boot drive with SSD. That is if there is only a (slowish) SATA connection. But if there is an M.2 slot available, they could leave the existing 1TB and add an M.2 NVMe SSD drive. They would then need to install Windows to the SSD and make it the boot drive for best performance and then relegate the spinner for storage (videos, photos, download folder, ect.). That may be beyond what the OP is capable of, or willing to do, however. But it will make that laptop fly.

Mike

It looks like that motherboard can use an nVME SSD drive.  They are much faster than even regular SSDs.  How much faster?  I installed an inexpensive nVME (Inland) in a desktop I built and it tested at 3500 Gbps, SSD maxes at 600.  Once the OS starts loading it takes less than 6 seconds to boot.

Now for the bad news:  installing a new drive in current laptops is not as simple as it used to be.  The good news is that you will find instructions on YouTube.

From looking at Dells website I think you might already have either an SSD or nVME.

Most everyone above has already covered the hardware side of it (yes, SSD drive...my laptop boots to Windows 10 in about 8 - 10 seconds. Conversely, my older desktop with no SSD takes 2 - 4 minutes to boot!).  For software to keep you going, I have been using just the Windows Firewall and antivirus/malware stuff.  And it does a good job for me.  I do still have the free version of Malware bytes, because nothing is perfect.  Malware Bytes seems to be about the best I've used to go through and clean up junk pop-up stuff, malware, and I think it does a pretty good job of cleaning up the registry also.  Just a couple of choices for you.

Wizard46 said:
PC Matic would be my first add on
edjunior said:
Most everyone above has already covered the hardware side of it (yes, SSD drive...my laptop boots to Windows 10 in about 8 - 10 seconds. Conversely, my older desktop with no SSD takes 2 - 4 minutes to boot!).  For software to keep you going, I have been using just the Windows Firewall and antivirus/malware stuff.  And it does a good job for me.  I do still have the free version of Malware bytes, because nothing is perfect.  Malware Bytes seems to be about the best I've used to go through and clean up junk pop-up stuff, malware, and I think it does a pretty good job of cleaning up the registry also.  Just a couple of choices for you.
Thanks.

My laptop boots up in about 8 seconds from Sleep mode. Haven't tried it from a full shut down.

I just checked my specs a little more carefully/deeper and it looks like I may have an SSD drive. Sorry for the misinformation. Can't find what is exactly installed on my laptop

Mine is a 1TB

Storage
Your computer is shipped with one of the following configurations.
One M.2 solid-state drive
One 2.5-inch hard drive
One M.2 solid-state drive and one 2.5-inch hard drive
NOTE: The solid-state drive is the primary drive.
One 2.5-inch hard drive and one Intel Optane Memory M10 or M15
NOTE: The 2.5-inch hard drive is the primary drive.
Table 1. Storage specifications
Form factor Interface type Capacity
2.5-inch hard drive

SATA AHCI, up to 6 Gbps

Up to 2 TB

M.2 2230/2280 solid-state drive

PCIe NVMe Gen3.0 x4, up to 32 Gbps

Up to 1 TB

9.5 mm Slimline optical drive
NOTE: Applicable only to computers shipped with optical drive
SATA AHCI, up to 1.5 Gbps

One Slimline optical drive

edjunior said:
Malware Bytes seems to be about the best I've used to go through and clean up junk pop-up stuff, malware, and I think it does a pretty good job of cleaning up the registry also.  Just a couple of choices for you.
X2. We had over 3,400 computers at work and Malware Bytes was what we ran whenever a slowdown was found. The secret to keeping a computer running fast forever is removing adware, malware, and keeping the registry clean. Never run any software that asks to check your computer for problems. 99% are scams that will install problems unless you buy their software.

I wills say this .. I just dropped a small bundle on a new HP Win-10 Box  my old Toshiba (And since they don't make 'em any more you know how old that is) is literally falling apart. (Physically left hing broken)

Expected the traditional hours long set up (Last one I did was an HP about 3 years ago and after We got it up and running the young lady forgot her password so we had to call Widoze and have them reset it.. I took her to dinner at the best restaurant in town (OK Believe it or not she is just a FRIEND not a Girl-Friend) (A very good friend but just a friend) and got back before Windows was finished resetting it was that slow.

THe new HP was on line in jiust a few minutes. NOT as fast as a chromebook but not greatly improved.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom