Anyone for pumpkin pie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The winning specimen of the 2020 pumpkin competition in Half Moon Bay weighed in at 2350 lbs. That's a big pumpkin to carve and a lot of pumpkin pie to eat:

https://weighoff.miramarevents.com/results.html

Has anyone ever made a pie from a ?pie pumpkin? sold at the store? I have, and it soooo wasn?t worth it. The taste of the Libby canned pumpkin is (sadly) much better. I have heard they breed a special type of pumpkin that looks very ugly but has a sweeter and more flavorful interior. Pumpkins advertised as pie pumpkins are really cute, but took a long time to cook and pur?e, and it wasn?t as nice. I can?t imagine anyone trying to cook the monster!

The man who took years to develop the giant pumpkins, called the Atlantic Giant, had his farm about 50 miles from me.  If you look at the link, there is an award in his honour, the Howard Dill Award.  He used to feed them intravenously every day, and if memory serves me correctly, it was milk that he fed them with.  Every year they have a regatta on a lake near his farm, where they carve out several of the smaller ones and paddle use them to race.  Often, celebrities such as Martha Stewart are invited to participate. 
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Pumpkin_Regatta

Ed

UTTransplant said:
Has anyone ever made a pie from a ?pie pumpkin? sold at the store? I have, and it soooo wasn?t worth it. The taste of the Libby canned pumpkin is (sadly) much better. I have heard they breed a special type of pumpkin that looks very ugly but has a sweeter and more flavorful interior. Pumpkins advertised as pie pumpkins are really cute, but took a long time to cook and pur?e, and it wasn?t as nice. I can?t imagine anyone trying to cook the monster!

Libby does indeed have a special Pumpkin. you get the seeds from Lilly and they count plants and pumpkins to insure you don't keep or sell any on the side.  The actual plant is closer to squash than it is pumpkin (Pure pumpking pies tend to crack as they cool squash looks better as it does not rack)

I have made a pie from Jack-o-lantern pumpkin at least one time. It was good. but it was also a long-long-long time ago .

Back
Top Bottom