Quiet Generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stanczak

Thanks to the advice I got on this website I now have the trailer and the correct truck to tow it.  I love it. Now I have a question. I am trying to figure out what kind of generator I might need. I do not plan on boon docking but if we stop at a rest stop it would be nice to be able to have power. I am not sure how much we would do that, does anyone else stop and say fix lunch at a rest stop. We usually travel from Indiana to Florida and it gets hot so it would be nice to turn on the air and rest a bit. I think we spent the night once at a rest stop, but its been so long, I am not even sure that's allowed now. I'm interested in what others do and how big of a generator they use. Also are the quiet ones really quiet? We would have to have it in the back of the truck and I assume take it out or do you run it from the truck bed?

Short answer get a Harbor Freight Predator 3500  quiet inverter generator, it is the best bang for the buck out there in the size range you need to run an air conditioner  https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-Watt-Super-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-63584.html  Sure there are better units, Honda and Yamaha both make ones in this same size range that are a little quieter, probably longer service life, better parts availability, but they cost 3 times more.  As to how loud it is, it is somewhere around the sound level of a modern midsize car at idle, maybe a little louder.

I agree with Isaac-1.  I have the 3500 Predator and have found it to be capable and very quiet.  We often stop at roadsides for an extended break and I have fired the generator to cool the TT in hot weather.  Our TT allows us to carry up to 250# on the rear receiver and our generator, in it's carrying basket weighs in at 135#.  I made a short jumper cord to hook up the power and we are good to go.

I also have the HB 3500 and have been very happy with it. We are close to 2 years with no issues. I have used it at rest areas during the day. But I respect other people around me so I wouldn't even think about running after dark despite how quiet it runs.

I keep it in the back of the truck and just remove the cover and open the tailgate for ventilation.

I also recommend the following.....

Follow the break in procedure and change the oil as stated in the owners manual. (I changed to synthetic oil after doing the break in)

ALWAYS add sta-bil fuel stabilizer to the gas. It tells you in the owners manual and it's just a good idea.

Run the Generator about once a month for an hour with a load. I plug in my 1500 watt space heater or the RV with the AC running if it's hot enough to keep the compressor running. (This is also a good time to do other chores in the RV)

It's a good generator it just doesn't have a very long warranty. Also try and get it when they put it on sale.

Weight is a big factor as well. This one is 47 pounds and will run your AC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YFT914I/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2LH8DUZ1Q6T63&psc=1

Tom55555 said:
Weight is a big factor as well. This one is 47 pounds and will run your AC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YFT914I/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2LH8DUZ1Q6T63&psc=1

It would be questionable but if so, it'd be straining at best.

Seon, My unit has a 4K Onan but I can run my RV AC, refrigerator, TV and lights plugged into a standard 15 amp circuit. We do it all time at friend's homes.

My point was at 47 pounds it's easier to lift and probably all the power someone really needs.

I'm not a fan of Harbor Freight so I'll offer an alternative.  I don't own the Champion 3400 watt inverter generator reviewed in the YouTube video linked below, but I've considered perhaps getting one. I do like to disperse camp, but the heat this past summer and fall has forced me to seek out RV parks so I can have electric power for the AC.  Absolutely killed my annual "lodging" budget.

The Champion is dual fuel, so you could run it on propane (if you're just going to use it for A/C rest stops as you indicate) and not have to carry gas.  It will likely require a permanent home = like the truck's bed -  because it's heavy, but anything big enough and worthwhile enough is going to weigh a lot.

The video is a product review by long time full timers "Long Long Honeymoon" (aka loloho) who have a very large following for many years (220,000 subscribers).  They know about the things they talk about.  Look it up and see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSUqajPO7CY

Check out their YouTube channel - many many useful and well-done videos covering every aspect of travel trailer use and enjoyment. 

This is a link to their older generator informational video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyUimxPJHQ0&list=PL52A1A2AD2E1070A8&index=3

Happy Travels
Linda

Seon, My unit has a 4K Onan but I can run my RV AC, refrigerator, TV and lights plugged into a standard 15 amp circuit. We do it all time at friend's homes.
Sure, but the model linked to is 1800w running, 2300w peak (surge). That's a far cry from 4000W running  That 1800w unit will run the a/c fine IF it can reliably start it. That IF is a big one - some a/c units start fairly easily while others not so much.  2300w is marginal - need to get up around 2800 to have high confidence.

Keep in mind the hotter the weather, the more amps an air conditioner is going to draw starting up due to higher refrigerant head pressure.  So even if this generator will start the air conditioner on a nice spring day does not mean it will start it on a hot Florida summer afternoon.

Gary, I can pretty much run everything with 15 amps. Running the microwave may be pushing it but I can turn the AC off for a few minutes. Maybe because my unit is newer and more efficient.

The higher in altitude you go the more sensitive the generators are with performance.  So far the HF 3500 worked really well for me up to 12,000 feet without sooting up.  Instead of changing out the jets I removed the oil dip stick door and drilled a 2 1/2" hole, IIRC and put a vent across it. This gives those inverter generators more air.  If you have one and the door is solid remove it and while its running take a paper towel and hold it over the opening and you will see that it gets pulled inward.  The vent is a lot easier to modify and works well for your 6 to 9 thousand without batting an eye.
I have heard rumors about the duel fuel generators. If you run it a lot on propane and then switch over to gas, rumor has it that you will get some gas leaks from the gaskets that dries out on propane. Can't vouch for that one but that was the scuttle butt going around last year around the campfires.

Gary, I can pretty much run everything with 15 amps. Running the microwave may be pushing it but I can turn the AC off for a few minutes. Maybe because my unit is newer and more efficient.
The difference when using a small genset if the a/c start-up surge.    Your 4000w generator can handle the surge, supplying 20-25A for the moment or two of the surge as the compressor starts.  So can a typical house 15A outlets, because a house load center has 150A-200A mac capacity.  A 15A breaker won't trip in that few seconds either.  A typical inverter-generator, on the other hand, will shut down instantly if its surge limit is reached, thus protecting the inverter electronics from literally burning out from overload.

Gary, it will handle 20 amps on surge and 15 amps all day for weeks. Honda and others are fine as well, I just think 50 pounds is heavy enough.

Here is a post I made in 2017. I now have about 140 hours on this and still like it. I was looking for something that was a more common brand name with a little more USA bloodline. I will say that my son has the 3500 Predator from HF and it performs well-more capacity, quieter, electric start and less money

"Purchased a Briggs and Stratton P3000 this spring. It is an inverter generator with an eco mode. Will run the 15,000 BTU AC with other items off. AC draws about 12-13 amps. I have not tried Eco mode with the AC and do not plan to do this.  We have put 30 hours on it. Very happy. (I did need to use a "bonded plug" and I had to reverse the common and line wires on the RV receptical on the generator to make the surge protector work as it should - had an open ground error and a reverse polarity message prior to fixing)."

Again, my point is 47 pounds is a lot lighter than 87 pounds and will provide 15 amps which is all most people need. Lower cost as well.

https://boonieriders.org/where-are-pulsar-generators-made/

Gary RV_Wizard said:
...  A typical inverter-generator, on the other hand, will shut down instantly if its surge limit is reached, thus protecting the inverter electronics from literally burning out from overload.

Exactly what my eu3000 Honda did so by installing a hard start capacitor on the A/C corrected the shut down.

I just built and attached on my trailer tongue a platform for a generator.  The footprint will accommodate the larger eu3K generator when a/c is needed during the summer months but will have a 2k generator for most outings.

Back
Top Bottom