Replacing Entire Slide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvannie23

Hi everyone. I have been chasing a leak around my slide out for what seems like years. I plug stuff, issue seems to stop, then it comes back. Anyway, the floor in the corner of the slide has started to rot out as has the wall.

Today I had a repairman out here to look at it, and he suggested replacing the entire slide would be easier and less expensive (he would be doing it, so he?s using his labor rates to assume that)I found that fascinating. He has apparently done several in the past where people have damaged slide outs when pulling out without them completely in etc.

I looked around the internet, but couldn?t seem to find anywhere that had it. He quoted about $2500 which seems reasonable to me.

Has anyone had this done? Does anyone know a specific parts website for this kind of thing?

Thanks!

Do you two tracks along the side of your slide out and have about a four inch flange on the outside of your slide that seats against the camper? And on those wide flanges is there any type of caps on each corner?

I have cables not tracks, but yes to the 4 in flap. There are no caps.

In theory it could be done, the slide is just a 3 sided box.  But even if the slideout is severely damaged I think it would be simpler and cheaper to pull the slide out of the trailer, then while it's out disassemble and rebuild the water damaged parts.

$2500 to replace the entire slide sounds pretty incredibly cheap.  I would find out what all is involved in the process.  If it could really be done for that price, I think it would be worth doing it.  Please let us know if you find out more about this.

edjunior said:
$2500 to replace the entire slide sounds pretty incredibly cheap.  I would find out what all is involved in the process.  If it could really be done for that price, I think it would be worth doing it.  Please let us know if you find out more about this.

I believe OP means the LABOR is $2500. That's why OP is searching for the replacement slide.

OP - how about the fellow comes to your house (work area), removes the slide so that you can work on it and repair the damage inner walls/floors. Then, he can put the slide back in...

Meanwhile, he should replace all the seals and wipers and give a guarantee that it's watertight and adjusted after installation.

I've never had a slide because they seem problematic. I carry three vent covers in case they break. Please let us know how it works out. Good luck.

Except for matching the exterior siding of the RV, building a new slide isn't complex.  It's a simple wood box with some mechanical stuff attached. Even if it has wiring and plumbing, it's not terribly challenging.  I'm guessing he would re-use your slide mechanical mechanism and any windows it may have.  $2500 sounds like the right ball park to me, labor & materials.

If you were looking for a place that sells pre-built slides, forget it. Even the RV factory doesn't do that - they hand-build them in their shop as needed for each model.

A friend of mine had his big living room slide pulled out and water damage repaired at a large dealer. It wasn't a complete replacement, but far more than just a patch job. As I recall, it was close to $3k.

I would ask about other jobs that's been done and see how that works out. I know that most rv mechanics have an hourly rate anywhere from 90 to 150 bucks an hour. plus materials in our region of the world.  So go from there if you have only gotten one estimate or one person to look at it and give you a quote.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom